Rick Nash Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
If Nash has another unproductive postseason he will demand a trade out of here.

The key is that he has a solid regular season so he can maintain some value.

How many 30 goal scorers have the Rangers had the last 20 years? Like 10?

Nash needs to play a full season for me to make a real assessment. Right now he's their best goal scorer.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
If Nash has another unproductive postseason he will demand a trade out of here.

The key is that he has a solid regular season so he can maintain some value.

How many 30 goal scorers have the Rangers had the last 20 years? Like 10?

Nash needs to play a full season for me to make a real assessment. Right now he's their best goal scorer.

why would he demand a trade out of NYC?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Unless I'm miscounting, the number on that list is 19 different players.

Also, to answer his question, over the last 20 years, the number is 10 (15 different instances... Messier x2, Jagr x2, Graves x3, Gaborik x 2, all else x1). They also have had 2 players score at a 30 goal pace in lockout shortened seasons in that span (Nash and Stepan).

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Also, to answer his question, over the last 20 years, the number is 10 (15 different instances... Messier x2, Jagr x2, Graves x3, Gaborik x 2, all else x1). They also have had 2 players score at a 30 goal pace in lockout shortened seasons in that span (Nash and Stepan).
iamdum.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

actually, if you include Graves in 93-94, that's the last 21 seasons

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Jackets fan coming in peace.

I've been following this guy for obvious reasons. My two cents is, while conventional wisdom would lead one to defend him, as a Columbus fan I'm very happy he's gone. I tend to side with those who say he has a hard time winning. Admittedly, the Jackets were a really bad hockey team for a long time, and maybe that has affected Nash. But at the same time, there was a long time when we were a really bad hockey team with Rick Nash as our captain.

By many accounts he's a fantastic individual, but I'm glad we're not paying him anymore. For his sake I hope he turns it around in the postseason and gives you a reason to unanimously support him- until we meet in the playoffs.

Good luck Rangers, with qualifications ;)

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Jackets fan coming in peace.

I've been following this guy for obvious reasons. My two cents is, while conventional wisdom would lead one to defend him, as a Columbus fan I'm very happy he's gone. I tend to side with those who say he has a hard time winning. Admittedly, the Jackets were a really bad hockey team for a long time, and maybe that has affected Nash. But at the same time, there was a long time when we were a really bad hockey team with Rick Nash as our captain.

By many accounts he's a fantastic individual, but I'm glad we're not paying him anymore. For his sake I hope he turns it around in the postseason and gives you a reason to unanimously support him- until we meet in the playoffs.

Good luck Rangers, with qualifications ;)

What does "he has a hard time winning" even mean? Winning is something the team does, not the player.

The one thing I can agree on with regards to Nash criticism in general is that he is not captain material.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Interesting Fact:

While Rick Nash sparked the conversation about "how many 30 goal scorers the Rangers have had in the last 20 years," please note that Rick Nash is not one of them.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Interesting Fact:

While Rick Nash sparked the conversation about "how many 30 goal scorers the Rangers have had in the last 20 years," please note that Rick Nash is not one of them.

21 goals in 44 games 26 goals in 64 games should -- in principle -- count though... ;)

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Interesting Fact:

Which was the point I was making. This team rarely has consistent goal scorers. I don't know one person who doesn't think Nash would score 30 over a full season.

If he can never play a full season or close to it, it's going to be a problem.

By all accounts, he seems healthy for this season.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Interesting Fact:

Interesting fact: Rick Nash hasn't played a full season with the Rangers. In his time here, he's scored at a 35 goal per 82 game pace. So, while you are right that he hasn't actually scored 30 goals, his regular season numbers are in line with his norm. Omitting his rookie year, his career pace pre-Rangers is 37 goals every 82 games. Goal-scoring wise, not much of a disappointment.

A problem though. His Columbus assist pace, again omitting rookie year, was 32 per 82. Over his last 5 years there, the pace was 35. In his two seasons here, that number is 25. Last year, the pro-rated full season number was 16. That, to me, is a mark of a goal-scorer who isn't making good decisions with the puck. He finds a way to keep scoring goals, because talent, but his overall offensive play has suffered. That statistic really bears out the eye test, too. In that sense, last season was a bitter disappointment, even before the playoffs began. Concussions can play a factor there, but he needs to be a better decision maker when he has the puck this year.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
He's a 30 goal scorer and that's what we're paying him to be, until he doesn't to that expect him to be here Lon haul.

He's a player that scores goals not put up assist and set up teammates.. His effort has been there all season. Yeah playoffs were rough, but still a dynamic player that can be impactful.. Let him play a full season without getting hurt and bs Olympics to really see how he can contribute

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
He's a 30 goal scorer and that's what we're paying him to be, until he doesn't to that expect him to be here Lon haul.

He's a player that scores goals not put up assist and set up teammates.. His effort has been there all season. Yeah playoffs were rough, but still a dynamic player that can be impactful.. Let him play a full season without getting hurt and bs Olympics to really see how he can contribute

Disagree - I think he gives maximum effort in areas of the ice where he won't get hit.

Part of the "effort" debate involves getting into the nasty areas and winning some battles. He stinks at this.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Interesting fact: Rick Nash hasn't played a full season with the Rangers. In his time here, he's scored at a 35 goal per 82 game pace. So, while you are right that he hasn't actually scored 30 goals, his regular season numbers are in line with his norm. Omitting his rookie year, his career pace pre-Rangers is 37 goals every 82 games. Goal-scoring wise, not much of a disappointment.

A problem though. His Columbus assist pace, again omitting rookie year, was 32 per 82. Over his last 5 years there, the pace was 35. In his two seasons here, that number is 25. Last year, the pro-rated full season number was 16. That, to me, is a mark of a goal-scorer who isn't making good decisions with the puck. He finds a way to keep scoring goals, because talent, but his overall offensive play has suffered. That statistic really bears out the eye test, too. In that sense, last season was a bitter disappointment, even before the playoffs began. Concussions can play a factor there, but he needs to be a better decision maker when he has the puck this year.

yes, and perhaps he's still shooting but not holding onto the puck longer and trying to make a play. I'd guess he's taking more shots (per 82 games) and a lot of those shots aren't of the highest quality (which would mean his shooting % with the Rangers is less than his career average). That's tough.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think part of the reason he looks good with Kreider is because he is no longer a true power forward. He needs someone on his line to retrieve pucks and do the dirty work. I think if the Rangers could actually find a good compliment to him, ie another power-forward who can maybe pass the puck, he would do well.

Rick still sometimes sees himself as that bull in a china shop. His body just won't allow for him to stay at that level AND score goals. Its an either or thing now.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
yes, and perhaps he's still shooting but not holding onto the puck longer and trying to make a play. I'd guess he's taking more shots (per 82 games) and a lot of those shots aren't of the highest quality (which would mean his shooting % with the Rangers is less than his career average). That's tough.

In that same time period, he was taking 290 shots per 82 games. His shooting percentage during that time was 12.8%. With the Rangers, he's taking 326 with a shooting percentage of 10.8%.

So, you're right.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Who's wearing Nash' jersey during Ranger games? He's on pace for 123 goals this season haha.

Great to see him off to a great start. I just hope he can, for once, put up the numbers worthy of his cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad