Injury Report: Rich Peverley out for season, surgery successful

Primetimey*

Nill also said the players wanted to come down to the press conference after getting in late the night before, but he told them to stay home and rest.

It was at 2:00pm and they didn't have a practice.. I donno about that call.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
They did not need to be there to hear all the medical language that was thrown around, hear the details of what happened to his heart and whatnot. They probably scared the crud out of themselves enough trying to search doctor Google on the plane flight to St. Louis.

Peverley probably isn't ready to hear that either, honestly.

d81

Apr 3, 2013
Hello. Anyone got the full version of Peverley presser video working on Stars website? Thanks for info.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Because almost no one is ready to hear how specifically close they came to death in the 48-72 hours after the event, and certainly not in a relatively public forum. I'm sure he knows and it has been discussed in very deliberate ways, but some of the medical aspects they were talking about are rather frightening to hear in the language they were using (not to mention if you take that information back and go Google it).

I volunteer a lot with people who are seriously ill, and they have had a lot more time to come to grips with their own mortality, and even they don't always want the details and medical nitty gritty of each health event. For a young, relatively healthy guy who likely always felt this heart condition was nothing more than something to be dealt with like any other athletic injury, he's probably never seriously considered his own mortality before at all, and that's not the forum for him to continue to ponder it.

Because while Peverley is in a subset of patients who have generally better outcomes, only 30 percent of people who suffer an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest survive. That drops to 2-10 percent when AEDs aren't present. That's a horrifying number. They mentioned that 30 percent figure specifically as well as some other scary things like v-fib (where you have a 4-5 minute window before significant brain damage sets in and really a 90-120 second window for best response time).

That is not to say doctors shouldn't (or haven't) told him what happened to him in very specific ways. But they almost certainly talked to him in a different way than they talked to the media about the incident.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Thought this was a good quote from Chiasson. Kind of look into it from his perspective....

“It’s awesome,†Chiasson said. “I think just to see him today, and you could see the guys happy to see him. We’re just happy he’s healthy and back with his family.â€

Chaisson visited Peverley in the hospital on Tuesday, so he knew he was OK. Still, the experience of watching him be revived was haunting.

“I had never seen anything like that happen,†said Chaisson, who is in his rookie season in the NHL. “For me, Pevs was someone I sat next to in the locker room, was someone that took care of me on the road and was the first one to text me to see if I wanted to go to dinner. For the young guys, it’s always hard to open up and ask questions and he was the guy I leaned on for that type of thing throughout the year. Emotionally, it was really hard. There’s different thoughts that go through your mind. You never want to see anything like tat.â€

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Always interesting to hear tidbits like that on the contributions some of these guys make off the ice. Everything we've come to know about Peverley speaks to what an outstanding teammate and person he is and the difference he's made in helping to turn the team around in only a handful of months here.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Because almost no one is ready to hear how specifically close they came to death in the 48-72 hours after the event, and certainly not in a relatively public forum. I'm sure he knows and it has been discussed in very deliberate ways, but some of the medical aspects they were talking about are rather frightening to hear in the language they were using (not to mention if you take that information back and go Google it).

I volunteer a lot with people who are seriously ill, and they have had a lot more time to come to grips with their own mortality, and even they don't always want the details and medical nitty gritty of each health event. For a young, relatively healthy guy who likely always felt this heart condition was nothing more than something to be dealt with like any other athletic injury, he's probably never seriously considered his own mortality before at all, and that's not the forum for him to continue to ponder it.

Because while Peverley is in a subset of patients who have generally better outcomes, only 30 percent of people who suffer an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest survive. That drops to 2-10 percent when AEDs aren't present. That's a horrifying number. They mentioned that 30 percent figure specifically as well as some other scary things like v-fib (where you have a 4-5 minute window before significant brain damage sets in and really a 90-120 second window for best response time).

That is not to say doctors shouldn't (or haven't) told him what happened to him in very specific ways. But they almost certainly talked to him in a different way than they talked to the media about the incident.

I'm not trying to make light of the situation but I'm not a fan of presumptions about other people's emotions. There shouldn't be anything said during the press conference that he wasn't already told directly by the doctors, but I agree there isn't really anything to be gained from him sitting through it publicly.

As far as the language they used with him privately vs the press conference, I didn't get a chance to hear/watch the presser so I'm not sure exactly what they said that would be worse than what they would tell him in private.

PezRadar

Peverley #1 Fan!
Jan 20, 2008
Dallas Texas
I'm sure he didn't stay as they were trying to avoid the whole 'press asking questions' thing at the end because you know they would have.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm sure he didn't stay as they were trying to avoid the whole 'press asking questions' thing at the end because you know they would have.

Yeah they mentioned that right at the beginning ... twice IIRC ... do not ask him anything.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
UFC ‏@ufc

.@UriahHallMMA and @PhilMrWonderful show support for a true fighter, @DallasStars forward Rich Peverly. pic.twitter.com/B2Sq7dNFb5

BivKhFlCIAEg_Tc.jpg

UFC is at the American Airlines Center tomorrow, and Pevs attended tonight's game.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That sounds ominous. I don't see an official announcement yet though.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
JoshuaCooper ‏@JoshuaCooper

Former #pred Rich Peverley is going to talk to the media here at 6 p.m. local time...

This is likely just to say everything is going well since the surgery.

Bkennedy*

"I feel great...under instructions from doctors, I've been able to work out again." pic.twitter.com/aKF98sTIHl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad