Injury Report: Rich Peverley out for season, surgery successful

________

Feb 6, 2006
Dallas Stars @DallasStars 4m
"I went on the ice yesterday. My goal would be to come back."-Peverley on possibility of coming back. He says he will take time to decide.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Hope everything goes well. He was obviously much more important than I thought he was.

I've avoided GDT because of how absurd they got so forgive me if someone else already said this, but thank you for some sanity.

It sucks what happened recently on the ice, but to blatantly ignore the impact back to back to back injuries to important players was maddening. It was one lazy, pathetic team comment too many for me, and a total lack of grasping the reality of the situation. Nothing over the past couple weeks was status quo, same ol same ol from the previous 4.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Pevs the Stars' Masterton Trophy nominee...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...want-if-i-come-back-maybe-i-ll-deserve-it.ece

Peverley collapsed on the Stars bench March 10 when his heart stopped. He had to be resuscitated on the spot, had surgery a week later, and is out for the rest of the season. He is Dallas’ nominee for the NHL’s Masterton Trophy, not because of the collapse, because he has shown the attributes of “perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey” that are required for the award.

“He’s a wonderful competitor who has had to fight his way into the NHL,” Stars general manager Jim Nill said. “I think that sometimes gets lost when we talk about him.”

He said one of the toughest parts of dealing with the situation is all the extra attention he receives. A worker bee by nature, he typically stays in the background. In fact, he said he’s not all that comfortable being nominated for the Masterton Trophy.

“In terms of being nominated. I don’t want to have attention for something that happened that isn’t good,” he said. “I think there are so many people who have gone through extremely hard situations and come back, and those are the people who should get the attention. If I come back, maybe I’ll deserve it, but I don’t want to have all of this attention because something bad happened to me.”

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
You know ... I don't think they have an eye in the sky guy ... why couldn't they put a headset on Fraser and use Peverley in the press box?

aloonda*

You know ... I don't think they have an eye in the sky guy ... why couldn't they put a headset on Fraser and use Peverley in the press box?

1. this could be a good thing for the stars to add an extra pair of eyes
2. if (and hope not) pevs is done, it would be a good chance for him to dip his toe into the coaching world and see if it something he would be interested in, a "what are my options" kinda deal

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
I would bet he is playing for the Stars next year almost anything. The procedure he had should have taken care of everything.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
From Heika's chat ... Peverley is on the trip with the team. That's so great. Sounds like he'll be a fixture throughout.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Very positive news:

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland

Source...Rich Peverley hasn't given up on idea of playing next season. At least one Doc has said he could play. #Stars #NHL

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Okay let's say a doctor says yeah but one or two doctors say either ehh or no. At that point does Dallas have to say no to protect themselves? I don't think they'd want to hurt Peverley and crush his dreams but they also have an obligation to themselves and him to put his health and safety above his desire to play. This can't be as cut and dry as one doctor saying yes.

aloonda*

Was thinking that nill needs to know asap so he can make cap decisions

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Was thinking that nill needs to know asap so he can make cap decisions

He doesn't need to know ASAP, and they can't rush the decision.

I believe he or someone spoke about the options, and the plan is to move forward like he wouldn't be here. If the recovery is good, then it's a huge bonus add to the roster.

The question is how will they account for him in the budget. If he doesn't play another game, insurance covers the cost of his salary. However, if at some point before the season or in the middle of the season he's ready to play, all of his remaining salary gets dumped into Dallas' budget.

So ... will they move forward saving over $3 million on the budget just in case he can play or will they just deal with consequences for not accounting for that possibility should he return?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I hate to be "that guy", but what happened to Pevs put enough of a scare into me that I would rather he not play at all next year.....Hell, make him one of the assistant coaches to keep him around the team, but if the prognosis is anything less than 100% risk-free, it's not worth it for him to continue playing.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
To take the callous point of view, Peverley is good enough that the Stars do need him contributing on the ice to be their best. It all ultimately depends on the opinions of the medical professionals involved. If there is a very small residual risk and Peverley and his family are OK with assuming that risk, it'd be very difficult to tell him 'no'.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I hate to be "that guy", but what happened to Pevs put enough of a scare into me that I would rather he not play at all next year.....Hell, make him one of the assistant coaches to keep him around the team, but if the prognosis is anything less than 100% risk-free, it's not worth it for him to continue playing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I'd feel awful for him. He seems like he's working to get back on the ice.

Wanting him to no play again though isn't something you should apologize for. That was an awfully scary situation. If his wife and family are on board with his decision though ... I hope he makes it happen to get back out there.

Pretty much the only incorrect reaction to this you could have is selfishly wanting him to play to somehow make the team better with no regard for his health.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX

No I'm with you on this. Love that he's passionate about playing and wants to compete but what if he has another incident off ice where there's not medical staff 15 feet away. I don't know the odds or the particulars of his situation but even if it's just a 5% chance of him relapsing or some other side effect of this whole issue developing, that's too much risk to me.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Peverley is working out more and elevating his heart rate, he's optimistic, but he has no time table for return.

He's also presenting the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy at the NHL awards show.

starshockeyfan56

Aug 2, 2005
The Xcalibur
God I hope he can still play... Would be crushing to hear he can't play anymore. On top of clearly being a leader in the room and a fantastic human being, he makes us such a better team.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
If he's back next season he's got to be a lock for the Masterton right? Pretty awesome that he's the one presenting it this year.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If he's back next season he's got to be a lock for the Masterton right? Pretty awesome that he's the one presenting it this year.

Hard to imagine someone beating him if that happened.

If you click the link above, he mentioned that he felt presenting the award this year and the stories of the three up for the award would motivate him to push harder to come back ... something like that (I read it yesterday).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad