Injury Report: Rich Peverley out for season, surgery successful

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Bq7M2f2CUAIUhjU.jpg:large

Gettin ready for tonight.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Honestly .... there's nothing this off season could bring that would be as amazing as Peverley playing again.

He clearly wants it more than anything. The standing ovation tonight was great.

________

Feb 6, 2006
"I talked to Rich about 10 days ago and he was going to see the doctors just to get his checkup. What he's doing is he's beginning workouts again. He's had an external defibrillator implanted in him and he's going to work out with that to see where it goes," Nill said. "So I would say he's being monitored over the next eight weeks just to see where things go and then kind of sit down with the doctors and kind of consult moving forward."

Link

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Wait he has a defib implanted in him? What a boss.

That quote is definitely misquoted, or Nill misspoke, or he doesn't know what he's talking about. He either has a temporary defib implanted in him or he's just wearing an external defib. I'd guess the latter, but I'm not sure. Unless he means a defib is just anchored into him that is easy to take out I guess?

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Popping out of lurkdom to add that am about 97 percent sure he does not have an internal defib implanted - that would be an ICD, and I'm nearly positive Peverley has explicitly said he did not get one at the time of the ablation. Implanting one is a surgical procedure, and I'd think the Stars would have made it known if he'd had follow up treatment (and I'd also think he wouldn't be ramping up exercise just yet if he had a relatively recent procedure like that).

He was for a good chunk of time, however, wearing an external defib similar to a LifeVest (http://lifevest.zoll.com/) - you could see him wearing it all the time in the weeks after the incident, and in all the pictures of him coaching on the ice, he was also wearing it, though I'm not sure if he wears it full time any longer. I would make some measure of sense that he has to wear it to do any sort of workout until further cleared by doctors. I didn't see any signs of the tell-tale box on his hip or around his waist last night, so perhaps now he only has to wear it for workouts? Again, that would make sense if they're not sure how his heart will respond to the stress of sports.

My understanding is if an ICD were implanted, it would be much more difficult for him to return because hard contact, like say a body check, could jar loose some of the wires that would then have to be reset or something along those lines. It looks like the vast majority of doctors won't clear people with ICDs for contact sports like check hockey or football (as opposed to no-check rec hockey, where I know some people have been cleared before) (http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/127/20/2021.full, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/522418_3). But I'm not all that familiar with the intricacies of ICDs, so perhaps there have been some breakthroughs there recently.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He's already started ramping up his exercise, and to this point no ill effects.

No arrhythmia.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He'll be in Dallas in a couple weeks to start taking new steps.

Sounds like this is a thing that will push past start of the year. He mentioned several months so in theory that could be by October, but obviously that seems unlikely.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
The interesting note to me was that he's still on anti-arrhythmia medications at the moment (which is typical post-surgery). It sounded like the next step is to get him off those and see if any arrhythmia pop back up. Also, today was the first time I'd heard him mention a-flutter as something that he definitely had.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
He'll be in Dallas in a couple weeks to start taking new steps.

Sounds like this is a thing that will push past start of the year. He mentioned several months so in theory that could be by October, but obviously that seems unlikely.

from a crass hockey standpoint this could be difficult.. who get's bumped when he's ready.. will he be able to catch up to everyone's readiness level? how patient are you if he's not in hockey form?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
from a crass hockey standpoint this could be difficult.. who get's bumped when he's ready.. will he be able to catch up to everyone's readiness level? how patient are you if he's not in hockey form?

I don't think you're being crass.

The first thing is he'd never be activated if he wasn't in hockey form. That doesn't mean he'll be in game form, but he'll be out there at practice proving he's physically ready to go before they took him of LTIR or IR.

Since Dallas won't go over the cap anyway ... it's unlikely they use LTIR on him. The best way to maximize that benefit is to place the player on LTIR when your numbers add up as close to the cap as possible.

As for who goes down ... this is actually the good thing IMO. Dallas doesn't have to make a decision on Eaves or Glennie while Peverley is still recovering. Eaves and Glennie might actually get a chance to prove themselves if either can stay healthy ... which is a concern.

The bigger impact though is the game roster. You'd assume Cole, Horcoff, and Sceviour would be the top options to come out. I don't agree with Sceviour but Ruff up until the playoffs was reluctant to bench vets so It's basically a wait and see, and hopefully at that time There's an obvious choice.

Finally ... the big thing here is he's not coming from a structural problem so it's within reason that his recovery is not as tough as other injuries. If his heart is healthy and the procedure was as successful as they hoped ... It's just a matter of him getting into shape. This isn't anything like say Morrow having to build muscle around an unstable neck or any number of guys building strength in their knee after an ACL.

Pevs is still a physically fit guy that obviously lost some muscle in all this, but it's not like he's gaining weight or living a sedentary lifestyle. Sounds like he was back to working out within weeks of this happening.

I don't mean to characterize this as an easy process because everything depends on his heart, but I'm just saying that's likely his only serious hurdle. The strength and fitness will be a piece of cake .... mentally this could be extremely tough though trusting your heart.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
I don't think you're being crass.

The first thing is he'd never be activated if he wasn't in hockey form. That doesn't mean he'll be in game form, but he'll be out there at practice proving he's physically ready to go before they took him of LTIR or IR.

Since Dallas won't go over the cap anyway ... it's unlikely they use LTIR on him. The best way to maximize that benefit is to place the player on LTIR when your numbers add up as close to the cap as possible.

As for who goes down ... this is actually the good thing IMO. Dallas doesn't have to make a decision on Eaves or Glennie while Peverley is still recovering. Eaves and Glennie might actually get a chance to prove themselves if either can stay healthy ... which is a concern.

The bigger impact though is the game roster. You'd assume Cole, Horcoff, and Sceviour would be the top options to come out. I don't agree with Sceviour but Ruff up until the playoffs was reluctant to bench vets so It's basically a wait and see, and hopefully at that time There's an obvious choice.

Finally ... the big thing here is he's not coming from a structural problem so it's within reason that his recovery is not as tough as other injuries. If his heart is healthy and the procedure was as successful as they hoped ... It's just a matter of him getting into shape. This isn't anything like say Morrow having to build muscle around an unstable neck or any number of guys building strength in their knee after an ACL.

Pevs is still a physically fit guy that obviously lost some muscle in all this, but it's not like he's gaining weight or living a sedentary lifestyle. Sounds like he was back to working out within weeks of this happening.

I don't mean to characterize this as an easy process because everything depends on his heart, but I'm just saying that's likely his only serious hurdle. The strength and fitness will be a piece of cake .... mentally this could be extremely tough though trusting your heart.

i never realized he can practice with the team while being on the LTIR, that's a big plus.

agree with you on the rest.. and holy crap.. the mental aspect of this is absurdly impossible to fathom.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Bwibbo-CQAAkDLt.jpg

I really don't want to get too excited about him playing again because I want to see it happen so much, but this looks good for sure.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Definitely a pretty solid sign that he hasn't hit any true setbacks in his testing if he's cleared to work out with the team. The real question is skating and anaerobic stress testing, though, and who knows where they are on that front.

I'm trying to play the "Is he wearing the LifeVest" game, and I don't think he is, which would be another great sign.

There was also this quote from Ruff the other day, and given he was one of the guys closest to the treatment portion of the incident, I feel it's noteworthy:

Despite the likelihood he'll never being able to scratch out of his mind what he witnessed March 10, Dallas Stars coach Lindy Ruff said he knows why forward Rich Peverley is trying to return to playing hockey and he supports his goal of making it happen.

"I know it's hard, and you didn't have to witness what we witnessed, but it's still something I understand," Ruff said. "In my meeting with him [at the end of last season], I totally understood where he was at. It's part of being an athlete. He can't take that away. There's not many that say, 'I've got this injury, I can't play.' It's usually, 'What can I do to get over this injury to get back?'"

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728625

Also, Spezza is taller than I thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad