Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
So before Marner signs..what do we see happen because currently we have 0 cap..I know we are using LTIR, but do we have to make other moves?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Ok I’m done with this subject
I’m not an accountant and really don’t care.
Pretty sure that the Ottawa and Calgaryish teams would be screaming murder if player in no tax states made more but the truth is I really couldn’t care less.
If you can get more in Florida or somewhere else then fine you win go get it.
Every organization has it's own benefits. The tax situation is always brought up on this site when contract negotiations come around.

It'll be interesting to see (next CBA) if any changes are made to signing bonuses, tax advantages in other organizations, etc.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

10.5x6 is loveable. It's an overpayment but if it takes a few hundred thousand extra to end this and not have to deal with it in 3 years or contemplate a trade, it's fine. Better than seeing an 11 mil aav too

It’s tolerable not sure it’s loveable, but if marner puts up numerous 100 points seasons and we see playoff success I guess it could be loveable

Reactions: Babcocks Marner

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Imagine the replies if Mitch posts some picture of himself signing the contract with a shit eating grin on his face?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Ok maybe you haven’t considered this!
Marner is a Canadian right?
He files his taxes in Canada
He lives in Canada
If he plays for Tampa for example
He now pays federal USA tax and oh ya still has to pay Canadian tax because he’s still a Canadian.
One tax or two which is more?
And just as a cherry on top they are paid American and even get an American per diem

So what am I missing.....
Oranges are cheaper in Florida?
Home insurance is 1000x more

Not exactly sure about the points you are trying to make (not a crystal clear post), but there is tax treaty between Canada and United States. One of the basic principles is eliminating a double taxation situation e.g. paying taxes to two countries for the same income. So he may have to file a Canadian tax return, but would get a credit for the U.S. taxes that are paid on his Canadian tax return (hence avoiding the double taxation).

There is another process that would apply here, namely the Determination of Residency Status. So, based on this process, if the individual is deemed not to be a resident of Canada, then the individual would not have to submit a Canadian tax return. If the person works in the U.S., pays taxes in the U.S., resides in a property in the U.S. that is owned by that individual, then typically that person would be deemed to be a non-resident.

And yes, getting paid in U.S. dollars and converting those U.S. dollars to Canadian dollars (given the difference in exchange rates) would be a nice boost in revenue.

Last edited:
Reactions: desperateblue

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto

10.5x6 is loveable. It's an overpayment but if it takes a few hundred thousand extra to end this and not have to deal with it in 3 years or contemplate a trade, it's fine. Better than seeing an 11 mil aav too

Aww...poor Marner... :rolleyes:. Seriously I hope he signs for 6 years at that range like you said, so we can move on, Leafs are better with him little doubt about that. But not for a second am I feeling sorry for him!

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Fair enough!
As I said I’m not an accountant and really don’t care.
The tax angle gets trumped by the signing bonus anyway so to me it’s a non issue

DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
$10.5 x 6 would be good all around I think if the math works on the Leafs cap without having to trade anyone.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Why it will be harder for Maple Leafs to keep Marner once season begins - Sportsnet.ca
What it boils down to is this: Unlike Nylander, Marner can’t count on the Leafs making their absolute best offer in the hours before a Dec. 1 deadline to preserve his ability to play this season.

The nuances of the salary cap simply won’t allow it. This season the Leafs are a team that will use the long-term injury (LTI) provision from start to finish, which means that they won’t accrue additional cap space with each passing day like they did last year while letting 60 days pass before signing Nylander.

“That is a significant difference,” said Dubas, when asked about how LTI will impact contract talks."

“It’s obviously something that we have to plan for and I think without boring everybody with the nuances of the LTI calculations and contract calculations, as [negotiations] get in-season it is a factor,” he added.
As for how all of this directly impacts the Marner negotiations, let’s do a quick refresher on how Nylander’s $45-million, six-year deal was accounted for under the salary cap (courtesy of capfriendly.com).

William-Nylander-Contract-Breakdown.jpg

Toronto was able to push those negotiations until Dec. 1 because it could absorb an elevated cap hit of more than $10-million in 2018-19 (while receiving a slight cap benefit during Years 2-6 of the deal).

The team can’t repeat that for Marner with a specific window already carved out to pay him and no additional room to maneuver — at least not without trading a significant player off the roster in the process.

What’s interesting is the Leafs don’t really become any more vulnerable to an offer sheet once the regular season starts because the pro-rated cap charge in Year 1 doesn’t apply when one of those is matched — as illustrated by the Ryan O’Reilly case with Colorado in February 2013 (the Avs carried a $5-million cap charge each year after matching the $10-million, two-year deal he signed with Calgary).

No wonder Dubas brushed aside any concerns about a rival team poaching his 22-year-old star if negotiations stretch into the season.

“The potential of an offer sheet has been there since July,” he said. “It’s a possibility, there’s no rules against it, it’s a mechanism which teams can use to acquire talent for their teams. If it happens, as we said leading into the draft, we’ll make our decision then and address it.”

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

It’s tolerable not sure it’s loveable, but if marner puts up numerous 100 points seasons and we see playoff success I guess it could be loveable

It's high but it gives us a window to go for it over the next half decade starting now so it's grudgingly acceptable

All I will say is with all the kids, they wanted the money so they better be prepared for the pressure and fan scrutiny that comes with it because if they don't start winning playoff rounds this fan base will become unbearable

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
$10.5 x 6 would be good all around I think if the math works on the Leafs cap without having to trade anyone.
That's still more than I'd like to pay him but falls in line with Marner's and Dreger's plan. Make it seem throughout they're asking a lot, then when it breaks that he took 10-10.5 it looks like a discount that the hometown boy took. Back in everyone's good graces. Boom.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
That's still more than I'd like to pay him but falls in line with Marner's and Dreger's plan. Make it seem throughout they're asking a lot, then when it breaks that he took 10-10.5 it looks like a discount that the hometown boy took. Back in everyone's good graces. Boom.
I think it’s too late and damage has been already done.
His image has been permanently changed imo
The only way to publicly save his image would have been if they leaked we counter-offered x and the team said no and they couldn’t because they Didn’t.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Very smart of Shanny and Dubas to leak those offers in a way that was in direct and makes Marner look really greedy. Especially when that offer would make him the highest paid winger in the league.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I think it’s too late and damage has been already done.
His image has been permanently changed imo
The only way to publicly save his image would have been if they leaked we counter-offered x and the team said no and they couldn’t because they Didn’t.
Very well could be true. I know lots of fans are upset over this tirade. But reality is, he hasn't missed a single game yet. So technically, no damage has been done.

Sure, you can view Marner in a different light off-the-ice and I probably will too. Definitely isn't the same as how I viewed him a few years ago but shit happens. I won't be looking forward to his 3rd contract for sure. But I'm still gonna enjoy the player he is on the ice, and cheer him on.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Very well could be true. I know lots of fans are upset over this tirade. But reality is, he hasn't missed a single game yet. So technically, no damage has been done.

Sure, you can view Marner in a different light off-the-ice and I probably will too. Definitely isn't the same as how I viewed him a few years ago but **** happens. I won't be looking forward to his 3rd contract for sure. But I'm still gonna enjoy the player he is on the ice, and cheer him on.

I dont think its permanent. Same with Nylander..last yr was a loss, now this year is redemption. When Marner puts up 100pts again no one will care. I spent care unless he starts missing regular season games

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
With pre-season games just a few days away, will this get done before the pre-season games have finished?

Would guess that everyone saw this TSN article (mea culpa for posting it again), but those contracts mentioned in the TSN article are worse than my original predictions ($10.5 X 6 years).

https://www.tsn.ca/maple-leafs-persistent-in-pushing-for-long-term-deal-with-mitch-marner-1.1363760

According to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, the Toronto Maple Leafs have been "persistent" in pushing both seven- and eight-year extension offers to restricted free agent Mitch Marner this summer.

Dreger reports the Maple Leafs made an offer of $11 million per season in June, which included the $1.6 million Schedule B bonus Marner did not receive in his entry-level contract. TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie adds that since the average annual value was lower than Auston Matthews' new contract on a longer term, the $11 million salary hasn't been palatable to Marner's camp. Matthews signed a five-year, $58.17 million contract with the Maple Leafs in February, which carries a cap hit of $11.634 million through the 2023-24 season.

According to Dreger, a three-year extension remains the focus of the Marner camp, though that term could be problematic for the Maple Leafs since a rising salary structure could see Marner earn as much as $12 million in 2021-22 then accept the team's qualifying offer at that salary and reach unrestricted free agency in 2023.

McKenzie believes a "logical solution" for the two sides would be a three-year bridge contract, but Marner's ask of average annual value of $9-10 million on such a deal gives the Maple Leafs no incentive to do so. He adds it's "hard to see the way to a settlement unless one side or the other makes a seismic shift."

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Overpayers gonna overpay.

Marner’s max should be
10.5 x 8
9.5 x 6
7.5 x 3

If he gets 11 x 6 you could probably say goodbye to one of Rielly or Fred when their contracts are up and any chance at resigning Barrie. Unless there is massive cap movement and TV revenues coming.

I hope he’s been crying in a pillow since the leaked rejection. Money being thrown around is madness.

Reactions: baton elevated

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I dont think its permanent. Same with Nylander..last yr was a loss, now this year is redemption. When Marner puts up 100pts again no one will care. I spent care unless he starts missing regular season games

Thing is Nylander’s camp kept quiet and Marners camp were ridiculous and demanded the moon, and disrespected the best player on the team
He’s been a weasel and could have been the biggest star this city has seen in some time

Reactions: Kurtz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad