Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That's why I thought 9M×3 and trading him at the end of the season was the best option trade wise but once you start paying teams to take Ceci or move johnsson or Kapanen off the roster the talent drain adds incredibly quickly
It's probably better to overpay for 5 or 6 and trade. Because 2 years will hold way less value even if it is less. Although, I hope the kid is a long-term Leaf, and we can carefully navigate these next few years to finally win a cup.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It basically started over someone talking about not paying for property in Tampa in CAD, to USD.

As for the USD to CAD factor. Yes, you get more money theoretically, but it ignores the purchasing power of USD. Most goods are equal in prices, rarely with a significant difference after factoring in currency exchange. Toronto, given the price of real-estate (Toronto being one of the most expensive real-estate markets in North America) and taxation in many ways, is not a great place for high-earning individuals with mobility until you get into things like emotional factors (family close by, I like the lifestyle of the city, etc). For example, I find most of the low tax places in hockey not very appealing for me on a lifestyle basis, and many of the very expensive ones very (Toronto, NYC, Bay Area) as places I would choose to live. But, to say it all balances out economically due to endorsements and so on was based on nothing for a variety of reasons. Such as endorsement deals are still taxed at a higher rate than most US states if you live here, your agent can only get about 2.5% of you NHL earnings while getting generally between 10%-20% on non-hockey salary (mainly endorsements and so on).

Yes, I agree with the points you are making. There is a difference in prices and generally speaking prices for houses and things in general are higher in a city/province like Toronto/Ontario.

Having said that, there comes a point where you basically have all the things you need and spending more on luxury items runs its course (loses its appeal). Depends on the individual of course. So depending on your lifestyle and spending habits of course you might end up spending a few tens of thousands more in a more expensive location, but not necessarily millions more.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
We’ve conditioned over selves to accept an over pay...over 10 is crazy really. But, so is Matthews deal....

No it's not because when Seattle breaks into the league the cap is going to go way up..its been said before. So by what yr 2 cap is almost 100million means he equates to 10.5% AM at 11.65% and JT at 11%, Nylander at 6.9%. So 44% right around Pittsburghs winning cup teams

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Will you stop. If its 10.55 or 10.7 for 6 that's damn near what many thought. Also if true...now the leafs screw up Colorado and Winnipeg
We’ve become acclimatized to an overpay. When some of us suggest 10 plus earlier this year it was called crazy here, now it’s expected. Again conditioned for a Dubas overpay, and here....we.....go! The BIG three alright.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
No it's not because when Seattle breaks into the league the cap is going to go way up..its been said before. So by what yr 2 cap is almost 100million means he equates to 10.5% AM at 11.65% and JT at 11%, Nylander at 6.9%. So 44% right around Pittsburghs winning cup teams
Please. I love the revisionism.

Reactions: egd27

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As information changes so do opinions, if anybody thought 11M×7 getting turned down was going to help fan goodwill you'd need to be high
The product of Tavares stuff and attacks on his on ice play was all based on non-contract information.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Contractions/updates from Dregs are coming closer apart. The Marner baby/deal will be delivered soon.

Ya when insiders say what he said above it's all but signed. Official announcement coming tonight I'm sure

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's probably better to overpay for 5 or 6 and trade. Because 2 years will hold way less value even if it is less. Although, I hope the kid is a long-term Leaf, and we can carefully navigate these next few years to finally win a cup.

The problem was getting him signed to something like Matthews deal was that the roster needs a major trim and that deal isn't exactly outstanding contractual value, your already starting at a Johnsson or Kapanen level deficit with the trade as well

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Can anyone fill me in on the joke on twitter where people keep calling Darren Dreger "Paul" (Marner, Mitch's dad). What's that about? Is it just because people perceive Dreger as being biased towards the Marner camp?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The product of Tavares stuff and attacks on his on ice play was all based on non-contract information.

Instilled maintain they helped each other and there were plenty of posters who said Marner drove the line for Tavares which I disagree with on a fundamental level

Complaining about his play was dumb, the kids a stud and always has been

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The flip of some posters in these 30 or so threads is going to be pretty priceless.

Ya, I'll expect a lot of people turning themselves into pretzels and doing back flips saying that $10.5 m AAV (or what it is) was reasonable (and/or expected).

Wait for it. It's inevitable.

LOL. :naughty:

Reactions: egd27 and 93LEAFS

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
Can anyone fill me in on the joke on twitter where people keep calling Darren Dreger "Paul" (Marner, Mitch's dad). What's that about? Is it just because people perceive Dreger as being biased towards the Marner camp?
He's been marner camps puppet all summer

Reactions: JamieG19

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yes, I agree with the points you are making. There is a difference in prices and generally speaking prices for houses and things in general are higher in a city/province like Toronto/Ontario.

Having said that, there comes a point where you basically have all the things you need and spending more on luxury items runs its course (loses its appeal). Depends on the individual of course. So depending on your lifestyle and spending habits of course you might end up spending a few tens of thousands more in a more expensive location, but not necessarily millions more.
Toronto prices are insane though compared to most markets (NYC, Boston SF are really the comparable American markets). Especially if you want to live in a stand-alone house in pre-amalgamation Toronto (which for most Leafs means Rosedale, Forest Hill or Lawrence Park). There is a massive gap between Toronto and Van to almost all other Canadian markets.

My other point was mainly about just taxes on financial investment to grow your money.

There are countless reasons to love Toronto as a place to live, but, if you are a professional athlete with mobility. Taxes, housing prices, etc are none of them.

shakermaker

Nov 16, 2006
Mississauga

Something tells me Paul Marner would be up to the task of spending all the money before Mitch could.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Will you stop. If its 10.55 or 10.7 for 6 that's damn near what many thought. Also if true...now the leafs screw up Colorado and Winnipeg

I don't think that Sakic is going to overpay his guys like Dubas...he is going to tell them that it's too bad Toronto didn't draft you and maybe in your next life you're gonna get lucky and it happens. That is the part that makes me so mad. If ALL the other teams were paying their RFA's UFA type money...I could live with it. But having to pay extra to players to play in a city that adores them and gives them ample chances to make extra $$ deals for endorsements is flat out lunacy. I can live with the Gardiners of the league not getting over paid to play in their twilight of their career like everyone used to do....but if we are the only ones doing this crazy stuff...it just sucks.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Instilled maintain they helped each other and there were plenty of posters who said Marner drove the line for Tavares which I disagree with on a fundamental level

Complaining about his play was dumb, the kids a stud and always has been
I'm not attacking you personally or saying you said those things. But, there were countless people bashing the kid for reasons that extended past contract discussions. It's why, as an avid follower of professional sports I try to get too emotionally involved with contract disputes. They are roller coasters. With this one looking likely to be done before the first pre-season game, it was crazy the attacks that were going on into a kid people were raving about for the prior 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->