Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
Honestly..

Can't blame the guy for holding out to a 5 year contract or 3 term at a reasonable over-pay. He'll get a 7 or 8 year or his next go about taking him to 30ish at max value and then a final contract into his mid 30's at more than likely near max value again if no major injuries occur.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Menzinger/kb

Not sure how us on LTIR means other teams will have space. So for each day Marner misses, his cap hit for this real inflates. Doesn’t that mean his contract would be huge and no team would be able to fit him in

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
So, I've missed the entire conversation (went to Kazakhstan for a while).... is Mitch gonna give us the little man/home town discount we expected when we drafted him??

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Menzinger/kb

Not sure how us on LTIR means other teams will have space. So for each day Marner misses, his cap hit for this real inflates. Doesn’t that mean his contract would be huge and no team would be able to fit him in

The other teams won't be in LTIR so they will be accruing cap space as the season goes on, so if they started with cap space and accrue some more they may be able to eat a prorated cap hit

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Menzinger/kb

Fan960 said the difference between Leafs and some other clubs is cap space is accumulated for missing players except in Toronto where they are relying on LTIR space which doesn't accumulate.

Is that really true?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I like the silence. You have a team to run, he's one kid in the system.

Let's hope Leafs fly out of the gate and Tavares has 12 goals in the first 5 games and Leafs start 8 and 2. Will make a quick trade of Marner that much easier to digest. Wish him all the best, and get a great return one way or another.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goose

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Menzinger/kb

Let's put it in a different context. Let's say the trade deadline occurs with 1/3rd left in the season (because I have no idea how much time is left in the season when the trade deadline occurs). Team A has had 2 million in cap space since the start of the year. Team B has had 2 million in LTIR space since the start of the year. At the trade deadline Team A can bring in a player with a 6M cap hit (because their cap space has been accruing). Team B can bring in a player with a 2M cap hit (because their LTIR has not). That is the type of problem the Leafs' face when the season starts.

Reactions: kb

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Fan960 said the difference between Leafs and some other clubs is cap space is accumulated for missing players except in Toronto where they are relying on LTIR space which doesn't accumulate.

Is that really true?

Yes

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Let's put it in a different context. Let's say the trade deadline occurs with 1/3rd left in the season (because I have no idea how much time is left in the season when the trade deadline occurs). Team A has had 2 million in cap space since the start of the year. Team B has had 2 million in LTIR space since the start of the year. At the trade deadline Team A can bring in a player with a 6M cap hit. Team B can bring in a player with a 2M cap hit. That is the type of problem the Leafs' face when the season starts.

Yes, that's when someone should bring out an offersheet.

Leafs then are passengers as marner and other teams negotiate beyond where the Leafs can match, but less than the 4 * 1st. rounder level.

I can see the Leafs end up with:

2 First Round Picks
1 Second Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
<10.5mm * 3 years
Columbus is a good team (with marner), those 1st. round picks aren't going to be good.

Ceci and a 1st. for cap space?

Last edited:

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I wonder if Marner would take 11 million if it was 6 years? (Which is a MASSIVE overpay but lets just get this done at this point). Like that is only a minor step down from the Matthews contract. If he doesn't accept that then this is just a circus and frankly they should just end the negotiations until he comes back down to earth.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I like the silence. You have a team to run, he's one kid in the system.

Let's hope Leafs fly out of the gate and Tavares has 12 goals in the first 5 games and Leafs start 8 and 2. Will make a quick trade of Marner that much easier to digest. Wish him all the best, and get a great return one way or another.

It's all fun and games right now but I do get the sense Leafs management are getting tired of situation. I plan to see Matthew's named captain Oct 1st and if marner isn't signed by then I honestly believe they are going to trade him just my read on things and recent body language, interviews

Reactions: kb

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
It's all fun and games right now but I do get the sense Leafs management are getting tired of situation. I plan to see Matthew's named captain Oct 1st and if marner isn't signed by then I honestly believe they are going to trade him just my read on things and recent body language, interviews
Definitely some interesting answers in the interview.

On whether Marner’s side (including agent Darren Ferris) has been reasonable during negotiations:

“I think in every negotiation, everybody thinks on their side they’re being reasonable and I think the major argument then comes down to arguing who’s more reasonable then the other. I think at times they’ve probably thought we haven’t been reasonable and I would say it’s vice versa in every negotiation we do. But I don’t try to get too tied into that.

On how Marner’s negotiation compares to William Nylander’s a year ago:

I don’t think they’re all too similar. William’s situation is one where, we’ve discussed a lot, it was really a three-, four-month process, and this one [with Marner] was much longer than that. One of the things we’ve learned is, once it starts, continuing to give updates and continuing to discuss it is not always the best. I know it doesn’t serve the media and the public overly well, but…we want to handle it that way and we’ll roll from there.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The more these RFA’s sign, the worse it’s looking for Mitch. He’s not getting more than 11, so hope he’s ready to saddle in. Even 11 is a slight overpayment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad