Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It's high but it gives us a window to go for it over the next half decade starting now so it's grudgingly acceptable

All I will say is with all the kids, they wanted the money so they better be prepared for the pressure and fan scrutiny that comes with it because if they don't start winning playoff rounds this fan base will become unbearable

I would agree with that in part. It will get ugly I'd think if we can't make it past the 1st round again this year.

But its usually the coach or the GM that are the most likely to be the scape-goat and get axed at least in the early phase.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't think anyone thinks (or its a very small minority) that he is being disrespected. He isn't. The issue is the pandora's box Matthews deal opened up by re-setting the market (we will do fine on that deal most likely, but it was far from ideal, and absolutely had a huge carryover effect). The primary issue I had with posters screaming trade the spoiled brat, is that it seems to basically be a vindictive reaction, rather than something based on the information at hand. I think we win more on an overpay, than dumping him when he is making this demand (some of the returns people expected weren't going to happen). And, even if we did overpay significantly, I believe he has more trade value in a year when his contract is set, rather than when he can dictate terms to where he is willing to go (no gm is trading significant assets for an unsigned RFA with huge demands).

The problem with your thinking was what the overpayment looked like, I still maintain that significantly overpaying Marner and having to trade talent off the roster to fit him was egregiously counterproductive for a win now team

Now if we get this overpayment (10.5M×6) but nobody gets moved to fit him you can at least justify it asset wise even though it's still an extremely average deal for the team

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Anything that comes out proves time and time again that the leafs have been more than fair with marner camp. Hilarious some still think dubas is a “POS”

Reactions: bax

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The problem with your thinking was what the overpayment looked like, I still maintain that significantly overpaying Marner and having to trade talent off the roster to fit him was egregiously counterproductive for a win now team

Now if we get this overpayment (10.5M×6) but nobody gets moved to fit him you can at least justify it asset wise even though it's still an extremely average deal for the team
The problem is, it doesn't maximize asset value. So, yes, you overpay but you re-coup it long-term, as long as the player's value doesn't completely tank. An uncertain asset has very limited trade value, and it hands way too much power to the player. Its essentially the same as a player having an NTC.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Please be 10.5M or less.

Please be 10.5M or less.

Please be 10.5M or less.

My guesses from the start have been 8.5 x 3. And 10. 5 x 6. Then aho signed for 8.5......

I really wanted them to go last. Hope this works out

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011

Had to share this gem from twitter. Hilarious. Us leaf fans are fickle, we’ll be back to loving him once he’s signed.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The problem is, it doesn't maximize asset value. So, yes, you overpay but you re-coup it long-term, as long as the player's value doesn't completely tank. An uncertain asset has very limited trade value, and it hands way too much power to the player. Its essentially the same as a player having an NTC.

That's why I thought 9M×3 and trading him at the end of the season was the best option trade wise but once you start paying teams to take Ceci or move johnsson or Kapanen off the roster the talent drain adds incredibly quickly

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
Knowing leafs nation was turning on him maybe it was in fact the Marner camp that leaked the 7 or 8 at 11 and then coming in at 10.5ish was their camps attempt at saving face and hope talk turns to a discount similar to the McDavid scenario

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Dreger says “needle has moved” since he was last on air 45 minutes ago. Get out those Dubie dollars, overpay incoming!!

Will you stop. If its 10.55 or 10.7 for 6 that's damn near what many thought. Also if true...now the leafs screw up Colorado and Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad