OT: Rev's All-Purpose Music Appreciation Thread

JA

I'd like to bring up one of the most underrated bands of all time, in my opinion. I brought it up on another forum, but I'll discuss it here as well. While the band Electric Light Orchestra is primarily known for many of their hits from the latter half of the 1970s, the band brought a rich diversity and incredible songwriting from album to album. Jeff Lynne, the founder and driving force behind the band, is a disciple of The Beatles, having been heavily influenced by them, following their songwriting philosophy, and becoming very close friends with Paul, George, and Ringo. John Lennon once called the band "Sons of the Beatles."

The band had enormous success in the 1970s and 80s, with more Top 40 hits in the US and UK combined between 1972 and 1986 than any other band on the planet. After shutting down ELO, Lynne went on to become a Traveling Wilbury with Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roy Orbison, and Tom Petty. He would also produce and co-write many of the songs on Tom Petty's first solo album, "Full Moon Fever" and co-write his two major hits, "Learning to Fly" and "Free Fallin'." He produced Orbison's last album as well, and co-wrote "You Got It" with both him and Petty. He would also produce Harrison's 1987 album "Cloud Nine" and Ringo Starr's successful comeback album "Time Takes Time" amongst other albums by other artists. Most recently, he produced Regina Spektor's 2009 album "Far."

This past October he was nominated for induction into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

While many know him for his tremendous hits with ELO in the late 1970s, many of the non-singles on each album are completely ignored by those who aren't familiar with the band. Frankly, every single song on every album is fantastic, and Lynne tackled new ideas every opportunity he had. From progressive rock to art rock to symphonic rock, he had it covered.

I've picked a few songs from the band's catalog of music to share, though I've decided not to post individually any of the major hits such as "Evil Woman," "Turn To Stone," "Mr. Blue Sky," "Can't Get It Out Of My Head," "Livin' Thing," etc. Instead, I've posted a few albums for you to listen to:

Every album provides a different sound. I invite you to listen:

"On the Third Day" Full Album:

"Face the Music" Full Album:

"A New World Record" Full Album:

"Time" Full Album:

Unfortunately, I can't find a high-enough quality "Out of the Blue" album to post here. The only one on YouTube is full of clicking sounds. That's the one with "Mr. Blue Sky," "Turn To Stone," "Sweet Talkin' Woman," "Wild West Hero," etc. I'll post tracks from it in a separate post a bit later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scottrockztheworld*

I'd like to bring up one of the most underrated bands of all time, in my opinion. I brought it up on another forum, but I'll discuss it here as well. While the band Electric Light Orchestra is primarily known for many of their hits from the latter half of the 1970s, the band brought a rich diversity and incredible songwriting from album to album. Jeff Lynne, the founder and driving force behind the band, is a disciple of The Beatles, having been heavily influenced by them, following their songwriting philosophy, and becoming very close friends with Paul, George, and Ringo. John Lennon once called the band "Sons of the Beatles."

The band had enormous success in the 1970s and 80s, with more Top 40 hits in the US and UK combined between 1972 and 1986 than any other band on the planet. After shutting down ELO, Lynne went on to become a Traveling Wilbury with Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roy Orbison, and Tom Petty. He would also produce and co-write many of the songs on Tom Petty's first solo album, "Full Moon Fever" and co-write his two major hits, "Learning to Fly" and "Free Fallin'." He produced Orbison's last album as well, and co-wrote "You Got It" with both him and Petty. He would also produce Harrison's 1987 album "Cloud Nine" and Ringo Starr's successful comeback album "Time Takes Time" amongst other albums by other artists. Most recently, he produced Regina Spektor's 2009 album "Far."

Its a damn shame The Traveling Wilburys never did a tour. That was a supergroup!

The first time I heard these songs as an adult it spurred a memory of hearing them before as a kid. Great songs.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
People here don't like 1D?

But seriously, my favourite band right now is probably Beirut. Been listening to a lot of the xx and Black Kids too. Just starting to get into this type of music (away from the usual rock listed in this thread which I want a bit of a change from). So any new music that is similar would be cool.

ELO is also definitely an underrated band, love them. Discovered them around the same time as I found the band that I associate them with in my head, The Grateful Dead (another of my faves).

Pseudonymous*

Alabama Shakes killed it live on SNL on Saturday

^ song has a Kings Of Leon feel

Dado

ELO is also definitely an underrated band, love them. Discovered them around the same time as I found the band that I associate them with in my head, The Grateful Dead (another of my faves).

This is going to take some explanation - how does ELO get linked with the Dead?! :laugh:

I'm not arguing, I'm genuinely curious.

jrlp

Jan 30, 2008
Vancouver
From the indie rock dept. for interested parties, here's Steve Albini on 'Couldn't You Wait?',

"Just watched the documentary, god damn. It's like the "finished" movie I saw a year ago was only an outline. Probably the most comprehensive, loving movie about a band ever.

It's what everybody who loves the band would want it to be. The tone suits the people involved and it's not over-full of information, crappy live audio or meaningless talking. Most band documentaries, in the interest of completeness, go through a meticulous laundry list of career talking points, without appreciating that certain episodes just aren't that interesting. This documentary is like human memory -- the dull parts are acknowledged but not paid lip-service and don't burn up your attention span. The essence of the band and the people comes across better than any other attempt at a movie like this.

Just magnificent.

Absolutely astonishing, loving, perfectly-voiced appreciation of a great band of good dudes. I haven't liked a music movie this much probably since AC/DC's "Let There Be Rock," and that is a much smaller enterprise, and burdened by a 10-minute version of "She's Got the Jack."

Last edited:

JA

It's been a month since anyone has posted in here!

I'd like to share one of my very favorite albums by Genesis, "Selling England by the Pound." Probably the only Peter Gabriel era album from the band I enjoy; the rest I'm not too keen on. The Collins-era "Wind and Wuthering," "A Trick of a Tail," and "Duke" are also favorites of mine.

Many have championed it as one of the greatest progressive rock albums of all time. On a more basic level, I just think it sounds incredible. It's tremendous to listen to.

A few songs from Wind and Wuthering. It's another really great album:

JA

Also, Simon Collins, son of Phil and also a former Vancouverite, is the lead vocalist of a progressive rock band called "Sound of Contact." Their debut album, Dimensionaut, will be released this May. I'm curious as to what it sounds like. Simon's voice sounds a bit like Phil's, which has consequently generated a lot of interest in the band.

Along with a few solo albums, he released this cover of "Keep It Dark" in 2006, a song originally released in 1981 by his father's band:

Here's the original:

And here's a song where you can really hear the similarities between his voice and his father's. I would assess his voice as sounding like Phil's current voice, though, as opposed to what Phil used to sound like:

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
This song gives me chills every time. I'm such a sucker for a cappella.

Lyric translations from Irish Gaelic:

Return, return, O my love,
Return, O my love, and do not leave me.
Return to me my darling and dearest,
And you will see the Heavenly Glory if you return.

I have travelled far and wide,
Throughout Moate where I was born
And I have never yet seen such a wonder, As Father O Dónaill turned Minister.

Chorus

You denied Peter And Paul,
Because of the gold and the silver.
You denied the Queen of Glory,
You turned your coat and became a Minister.

Return, return, O my love,
Return, O my love, and do not leave me.
If you return today or some other time,
Return to the Order in which you were ordained.

JA

Simon Collins, son of Phil, has formed a band called "Sound of Contact"; they will be debuting their first album this May. Collins spent much of his time working on the album in his hometown of Vancouver, though he has since relocated to England. It'll supposedly be a concept album mixing influences from "classic rock," progressive rock, space rock, and other alternative genres.

Sound-of-Contact-Dimensionaut-Cover-300x300.jpg

Here's an excerpt from their official website bio:

http://www.soundofcontact.com/bio/
An incredible amount of spontaneous energy and live studio performance has been captured on the album with a powerful interplay between keyboards, guitar and drums that is reminscent of progressive rock of the ’70s like Genesis, Yes and Pink Floyd yet it has a modern musical quality akin to popular classic rock-influenced alt rock bands of today such as Coldplay, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Porcupine Tree and Muse.

Interestingly, Simon's voice sounds a bit like his father's, so it would be neat to listen to it with that in mind. If I were to compare their voices, Simon's is thinner and less powerful, sounding the way his father's does now rather than when Phil was in his prime. His band members have worked with Steve Hackett more than a few times before, and Simon has incorporated homages in his previous albums to early Genesis tracks. This tells me they are highly-influenced by the Gabriel-era, so we'll see what happens. It could either be a major disappointment or a success.

Their album is titled "Dimensionaut" and will be released in May 2013. The album was produced by Nick Davis, who also was responsible for mixing Genesis' and Mike and the Mechanics' post-1990 albums. Today, they released excerpts from the album:

https://www.facebook.com/soundofcontact

It's interesting, to say the least. What I'm most concerned about is whether YouTube compressed the sound quality; hopefully it's not as flat on the album as it is here. We'll see in May.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
My tastes run similar to Rev's, so it's easiest to just edit his post. :D

Favourite Genre: Anything except hip hop.
Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): I'm just looking at my most played list on my phone - includes U2, Dire Straits, Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo, The Beach Boys, The Stones, The Beatles, The Doors, Kansas, Journey, The Who, Neil Young, Train, Green Day, The Eagles, Oasis, Sheryl Crow, Bonnie Raitt, Mellencamp, John Hyatt, The Dixie Chicks, Lyle Lovett, Steely Dan, many more.
Favourite Songs: I don't really have a favourite song - it really depends on what mood I'm in.
Best Album(s) ever made: Exile on Main St., Revolver, The Doors, The Joshua Tree, Born to Run, Rumours, Led Zep IV, Crime of the Century,
Least Favourite Genre: Hip Hop.
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): All of the producer artists/bands - where a producer finds a face, teaches him/her to sing, dance, dress, and act marketable, then hires a writer and a studio band to create an album.
A song that you like from and artist you don't like: Can't think of any off hand.
Favourite Song from your birth year: My birth year (1963) was epic. The Kingsmen topped the charts with "Louie Louie", the Beatles had "She Loves You", "I want to hold your hand" and "I saw her standing there", The Beach Boys had "Surfin' USA" and "Little Deuce Coupe", Bob Dylan put out "Blowin in the Wind" and Johnny Cash release "Ring of Fire".

Instruments you play: Guitar, piano/keyboards, percussion, vocals, sax.
Musical Experience: I've played in cover bands / bar bands but not recently. I've I still play for enjoyment, and if an opportunity came to play out again, and it worked with my family and career, i'd jump at it.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver

Beautiful and heartbreaking rendition of this song. Makes me sad that people like Selena Gomez are more well-known than her.

BlackAces

Play Your Game
Dec 31, 2007
Just discovered this cool Canadian band called Half Moon Run. Pretty impressed by them so far, I think there debut album came out in 2012.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, Amish Paradise is awesome, as well as being funny. Although I find Weird Al has around 3-4 really good songs and the rest are mostly "meh".

OneRepublic's come out with a new album, here's my favourite song from it:

Solidius

#TankLivesMatter
Jul 7, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Got tickets to Les Mis in June for the finale show then City and Colour in July. Saw Alexisonfire in December. Pretty stoked for the summer.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Yeah, Amish Paradise is awesome, as well as being funny. Although I find Weird Al has around 3-4 really good songs and the rest are mostly "meh".

OneRepublic's come out with a new album, here's my favourite song from it:

Mine is "Something I Need." I love a lot of their songs.

BlackAces

Play Your Game
Dec 31, 2007
Got tickets to Les Mis in June for the finale show then City and Colour in July. Saw Alexisonfire in December. Pretty stoked for the summer.

Saw AoF as well. It was a pretty good concert, I find City and Colour to be a bit bland though so I won't be at that one. Got tickets to Mumford in May, Ben Howard on Wednesday and will probably go to a few more shows this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad