OT: Rev's All-Purpose Music Appreciation Thread

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Just had a thought that all music talk could be filtered to here and this might be a place that could get some traffic. Everyone loves music right? I do.

Maybe some of us would like to profile our musical interests:

------------------Rev's Picks (below)

Favourite Genre: Anything. If I like it, I like it.
Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): Rush, Tragically Hip, Beach Boys, Beatles, The Doors, The Band, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, NWA, Snoop Dogg, Nirvana, Barenaked Ladies, City and Colour, Avicii, Journey, Jimi Hendrix, The Kinks, Neil Young, much more I don't recall immediately
Favourite Songs: Too many, I'll name my favourite right now which is Little Bones - Hip
Best Album(s) ever made: Smile, Beatles White Album, Road Apples, Straight Outta Compton, Are You Experienced?, Moving Pictures
Least Favourite Genre: Nothing comes to mind...maybe country.
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, 2Chainz, Def Leppard, GNR, Motley Crue, Katy Perry, Kiss
Most Over-appreciated song: tough one. Pour Some Sugar On Me gets too much love
A song that you like from and artist you don't like: Beauty and a Beat by Bieber ft. Nicki Minaj
Favourite Song from your birth year: Gin and Juice by Snoop Dogg or Round Here by Counting Crows

Instruments you play: Guitar, vocals.
Musical Experience: Not much. Don't write a lot but do cover a lot.
Favourite Song you made: I've wrote one. It's not that great.

General Rules that comply with the board but just a reminder:
Don't be a dick. Poke fun at another person's interests, but don't make fun. Criticizing works are allowed, but don't flame and remember don't libel artists.

That is pretty much it! Hopefully this thread is useful!

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Favourite Genre: Alternative/Rock.
Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): Tool, A Perfect Circle, Radiohead, The Pixies, Pink Floyd, The Shins, Sublime, Metric, Rush, ZZ Top, Tragically Hip, Angels and Airwaves, Silversun Pickups, Janes Addiction, The Cult
Favourite Song: Too many to name...have to be something by Tool or Radiohead likely
Best Album(s) ever made: Can't choose....too many good ones.
Least Favourite Genre: Pop, Country, Speed metal, Jazz.
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): Katy Perry, J-Lo, Kanye, Taylor Swift, Bieber....sooooo many others too.
Most Over-appreciated song: Never given it much thought
A song that you like from and artist you don't like: "Whats my name?" Rhianna/Drake, I hate myself for liking it.
Favourite Song from your birth year: "Me and Bobby McGee" Janis Joplin

Instruments you play: None...used to play a mean skin flute.
Musical Experience: None.
Favourite Song you made: None.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
---Vankiller Whale---

Favourite Genre: Anything. If I like it, I like it.(same)
Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): Coldplay, One Republic, Linkin Park, Imagine Dragons, Jason Derulo, Katy Perry, Taio Cruz, Skylar Grey, Justin Timberlake, Green Day, a lot more but not going to list them all. And believe it or not, Britney Spears(don't ask me why).
Favourite Songs: Changes all the time, right now I'd say Radioactive(Imagine Dragons), Invisible(Skylar Grey), and Apologize(One Republic) are my top 3.
Best Album(s) ever made: Eh, I'll go with Viva la Vida.
Least Favourite Genre: Certain kinds of rap, I suppose.
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): Drake, Nikki Minaj
Most Over-appreciated song: We Found Love(Rihanna)
A song that you like from and artist you don't like: As Long as you Love Me(Justin Bieber)
Favourite Song from your birth year: No clue.

Instruments you play: Piano, tried a little bit of violin and drums, didn't stick with either.
Musical Experience: Occasionally try to learn a song on the piano for recreation, not much in terms of composing or playing in a band or anything.

That was kind of fun.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Favorite Genre: I listen to a lot of things but my preferences tend to be: most kinds of heavy metal, progressive/alternative/classic/stoner rock, electronic, dubstep, Latin.

Favorite Bands: ergh I'll edit later. Wish I could still remember my last.fm account's information.

Favorite Songs: Kinda like the above. They tend to change a lot. Some songs that I've consistently found to be my favorites includes Bleak by Opeth, Don't Fear The Reaper by BOC, Lisbon by Angra, The Human Stain by Kamelot, Hallowed Be Thy Name by Iron Maiden, Unsung by Helmet, Resistance by Muse, Hangar 18 by Megadeth, No One Knows by QOTSA, Gardenia; Demon Cleaner by Kyuss, Must Be The Feeling by Nero...

...okay, honestly there are too many and I could spend the whole day typing this out

Least Favorite Genre: I suppose if I had to name one, "pop". Lots of good pop songs out there, but many others are simply formulaic constructions meant to have a temporary broad appeal and void of anything truly interesting.

Least Appreciated Artists: Dunno.

Most over appreciate song: Is it like HF's "who is the most overrated player" kinda question? Dunno.

A song that you like from and artist you don't like: Can't say I disliiiike an artist so dunno here either

Favourite Song from your birth year: Green Machine by Kyuss

Instruments You Play: Bass Guitar
Musical experience: None. I've attempted to record various songs but I never finish them.
Favorite Song You Made: They're all in my head!

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Favourite Genre: Usually more classical sounding stuff, a cappella, musical theatre, folk
Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): Carpenters, Cara Dillon, Josh Groban, Johnny Flynn, The King's Singers, Hadley Fraser, Ramin Karimloo, Michael Londra, Rajaton, Scott Alan, Sarah Brightman, Six Vocal Ensemble, Straight No Chaser
Favourite Songs: Again - Hadley Fraser, Kiss the Air - Scott Alan, California Dreamin' - Carpenters, Danny Boy - Michael Londra, Bold Jamie - Cara Dillon, The Parting Glass - The Wailin' Jennys etc.
Best Album(s) ever made: I'm more a song person than an album person
Least Favourite Genre: Country, rap, techno, hardcore rock
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): Nicki Minaj, Justin Bieber, One Direction, other top-40 stuff
Most Over-appreciated song: Too many to count
A song that you like from and artist you don't like: Suprise Symphony by Joseph Hayden. Hate his compositions (they all sound the same), but this one's a nice one.
Favourite Song from your birth year: A Whole New World - Aladdin. Technically 1992, but whatever.

Instruments you play: Piano, violin, voice (alto), oboe (played it for two years), alto saxophone (played it for a year)
Musical Experience: 14 years of piano, 13 years of violin, 2 years of oboe, 1 year of alto sax, 6 years of voice
Favourite Song you made: I usually re-write parody lyrics to songs I know. Tried writing a song once, but I got too caught up in making everything perfect, and my classical theory training doesn't really work with pop songs!

Yes, I'm quite the music geek!

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Not that I think much of the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame (it's just a building to massage Jann Wenner's ego...) but I say it's about **** time Rush was elected in.

Tells you something that ABBA was voted in before Rush.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
Music rules.

Favourite Genre: Classic rock, alternative, country, blues... anything that rocks. Pretty diverse though.
Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): NEIL YOUNG, Drive-By Truckers, Tom Waits, The Cramps, The Doors, Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, 54-40, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, Pixies, The Replacements
Favourite Songs: "Powderfinger" by Neil Young and "Roadhouse Blues" by The Doors
Best Album(s) ever made: Neil Young's Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Tom Waits Rain Dogs, Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Least Favourite Genre: electronic; indie rock, especially with synth; top 40/commercial pop, not I don't bother to judge it anymore
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): About 90 per cent of new music. Though Jane's Addiction has always been one of my least favourite bands for some reason.
Most Over-appreciated song: "Don't Stop Believing"
A song that you like from and artist you don't like: "Combat Baby" by Metric
Favourite Song from your birth year: "Dig for Fire" by Pixies or "Whiskey Bottle" by Uncle Tupelo

Instruments you play: Guitar, used to play viola and violin.
Musical Experience: Recitals as a kid... I just screw around with my guitar on my own now.
Favourite Song you made: lol

This also seems like an appropriate place to ask whether there's anything we fans can do at the grassroots level about DJ Dave.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Not that I think much of the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame (it's just a building to massage Jann Wenner's ego...) but I say it's about **** time Rush was elected in.

Tells you something that ABBA was voted in before Rush.

and Madonna IIRC.

It's all in there.

ANODYNE

DJ Dave posts a blog on CDC, if you are polite you could make a difference for all of us.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
This also seems like an appropriate place to ask whether there's anything we fans can do at the grassroots level about DJ Dave.

As you can probably tell from the first few people's lists, there's no pleasing everyone with the goal song. I hated Electric Worry at first, but it's kind of grown on me now. I still prefer Holiday by leaps and bounds though.

EDIT: I think Gold on the Ceiling was being tossed around as a possible replacement, here's the thread I started a while back on it: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1209091&highlight=goal+song

Last edited:

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Favourite Genre: Heavy Metal, Rock, Alternative, some Dubstep
Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): Metallica, Gn'R, Billy Talent, Jet, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Anberlin, Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse, Gorrilaz
Favourite Songs: Float On - Modest Mouse, Seek and Destroy - Metallica, lots more
Best Album(s) ever made: Dead Silence - Billy Talent, Master Of Puppets - Metallica, Led Zeppelin III
Least Favourite Genre: Country
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): Nicki Minaj, Britney Spears, Ke$ha, anyone annoying
Most Over-appreciated song: Photograph - Nickelback
A song that you like from and artist you don't like: Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen
Favourite Song from your birth year: 1995 wasn't a good year for music, Gangsta's Paradise from me.
Instruments you play: Guitar
Musical Experience: Not a whole lot
Favourite Song you made: Ivory by Fully Loaded, I made it with my "band" when I was 12, and was stupid enough to record it on a ****ty camera and throw it on youtube, I'd link it, but it would be the end of my existence as a respected person on here, so I'll leave the searching to you.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
The female is always the lead singer! :nod:

I call dibs on lyricist and vocals.

I smell a duet.

^Royal: bad decision. I don't think I'd put a song on Youtube unless it was recorded from a decent source. Thus, my webcam is not a good source. Doing it so artificial and digital completely destroys any acoustically pleasing.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Favourite Genre: Indie, but i like to dabble in some others.
Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): I really don't even know where to start, way too many, but here's a few alphabetically: Animal Collective, Arcade Fire, Band of Horses, Bat For Lashes, Beach House, Black Keys, Bon Iver, Daft Punk, Feist, Fleet Foxes, Grimes, Grizzly Bear, Interpol, The Kooks, Lykke Li, M83, Metric (the early stuff), Modest Mouse, The National, Oasis, Passion Pit, Phoenix, Radiohead, Real Estate, The Shins, The Smiths, Spoon, The Strokes, The Walkmen, The XX.

Favourite Songs: More of an Album kind of a person...

Best Album(s) ever made: Can't say best album ever made... but here are the ten (okay 11 b/c i'm indecisive) albums i'd take to a deserted island (In no order):
1. Arcade Fire - Funeral
2. Beach House - Teen Dream
3. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
4. Daft Punk - Human After All
5. Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights
6. Radiohead - Kid A
7. Oasis - What's The Story Morning Glory?
8. The Strokes - Is This It?
9. The Stills - Logic Will Break Your Heart
10. Weezer - The Blue Album
11. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Least Favourite Genre: Country/Metal
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): Nicki Minaj, Whoever made that Whistle song, Lana Del Rey, a lot of top 40.
Most Over-appreciated song: Video Games - Lana Del Rey
A song that you like from and artist you don't like: A Beauty and a Beat - Justin Bieber
Favourite Song from your birth year: Had to google it! But it was easy to choose once i saw the list: With Or Without You - U2

Instruments you play: Does Rockband count?
Musical Experience: Does Rockband count? Singing in the privacy of my car?

Wellwood You

Dec 13, 2008
Burnaby, BC
Tier 1 Favs: Kanye West, The XX, Franz Ferdinand, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Britney Spears, Mumford, Daft Punk
Tier 2 Favs: Frank Ocean, Calvin Harris, Florence & the Machine, Ellie Goulding, Big Boi, Krewella, Black Keys,

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Favourite Genre: Alternative rock, Indie Folk, Folk Rock
Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): Coldplay, Muse, Radiohead, The Black Keys, Jack Johnson, The Beatles, Margot and the Nuclear So & So's, Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, REM, Gary Clark Jr, Mumford and Sons, The Who, and etc
Favourite Songs: If I had to pick my all time favourite, it's Viva La Vida by Coldplay and Yer Blues by The Beatles
Best Album(s) ever made: Beatles - White Album, Coldplay - A Rush of blood to the head, Radiohead - the Bends, Margot and the Nuclear So & So's - Animal!
Least Favourite Genre: Certain kind of hip hop
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): Will never know
Most Over-appreciated song: Don't know
A song that you like from and artist you don't like: What makes you berautiful from One Direction. it's too catchy

Instruments you play: Guitar, piano, and sax
Musical Experience: Played lots of music but never took that big step to focus on one and try to become really good at it.

Pseudonymous*

Tier 1 Favs: Kanye West, The XX, Franz Ferdinand, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Britney Spears, Mumford, Daft Punk
Tier 2 Favs: Frank Ocean, Calvin Harris, Florence & the Machine, Ellie Goulding, Big Boi, Krewella, Black Keys,

I like your style :) Some good choices in there. Wouldn't call them my favorites but definite regulars in my playlist

Been listening to The XX - Missing quite a bit this week! So good

And Florence & The Machine is definitely one of the greater things to come out in the past while. Shes amazing. And the collab with Calvin Harris! :) great

Frank Ocean really impressed me on Leno when his voice live sounded just as good, unlike Drake.

Wellwood You

Dec 13, 2008
Burnaby, BC
I like your style :) Some good choices in there. Wouldn't call them my favorites but definite regulars in my playlist

Been listening to The XX - Missing quite a bit this week! So good

And Florence & The Machine is definitely one of the greater things to come out in the past while. Shes amazing. And the collab with Calvin Harris! :) great

Frank Ocean really impressed me on Leno when his voice live sounded just as good, unlike Drake.

Thanks. As you can tell my musical tastes are very diverse.

I'm on the fence with Drake. All the hipster kids have been going on about The Weeknd though so I think I'll give him a spin soon.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Favourite Genre: Indie, but i like to dabble in some others.
Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): I really don't even know where to start, way too many, but here's a few alphabetically: Animal Collective, Arcade Fire, Band of Horses, Bat For Lashes, Beach House, Black Keys, Bon Iver, Daft Punk, Feist, Fleet Foxes, Grimes, Grizzly Bear, Interpol, The Kooks, Lykke Li, M83, Metric (the early stuff), Modest Mouse, The National, Oasis, Passion Pit, Phoenix, Radiohead, Real Estate, The Shins, The Smiths, Spoon, The Strokes, The Walkmen, The XX.

First, great thread idea Rev!

Second, you and I have a lot of the same taste in music feebster. Bold bands are more of what I listen to. Although I have moved into more the electronic/80's new wave stuff out there like: Twin Shadow, Neon Indian and Kavinsky. Give them a listen. M83 is phenomenal. Passion Pit is good too. If you like them I'm sure you've checked out Naked and Famous, MGMT and Phantogram?

And Morrissey is one of the best lyricists I have ever had the pleasure of listening too.

Favourite Songs: More of an Album kind of a person...

Best Album(s) ever made: Can't say best album ever made... but here are the ten (okay 11 b/c i'm indecisive) albums i'd take to a deserted island (In no order):
1. Arcade Fire - Funeral
2. Beach House - Teen Dream
3. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
4. Daft Punk - Human After All
5. Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights
6. Radiohead - Kid A
7. Oasis - What's The Story Morning Glory?
8. The Strokes - Is This It?
9. The Stills - Logic Will Break Your Heart
10. Weezer - The Blue Album
11. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Least Favourite Genre: Country/Metal
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): Nicki Minaj, Whoever made that Whistle song, Lana Del Rey, a lot of top 40.
Most Over-appreciated song: Video Games - Lana Del Rey
A song that you like from and artist you don't like: A Beauty and a Beat - Justin Bieber
Favourite Song from your birth year: Had to google it! But it was easy to choose once i saw the list: With Or Without You - U2

Instruments you play: Does Rockband count?
Musical Experience: Does Rockband count? Singing in the privacy of my car?

Props for listing Arcade Fire first. Best band on the planet as far as I'm concerned.

Pseudonymous*

Thanks. As you can tell my musical tastes are very diverse.

I'm on the fence with Drake. All the hipster kids have been going on about The Weeknd though so I think I'll give him a spin soon.

Yeah im the same way, i like all genres so my list would be all over the place.

Yeah the weeknd is great. Im not a fan of drake but i like the weeknd and frank ocean.

Been listening to the weeknd for some time. Surprised it took him this long to get on the radio. Wicked Games which is now on the radio is on an album thats been out for quite some time

If you give it a try, check out The Weeknd - The Morning and actually watch the music video with it. Then give Wicked games a listen and the rest, then you'll know if you like him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad