OT: Rev's All-Purpose Music Appreciation Thread

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Failed to add to this thread when it was going... So here goes:

Favourite Genre: I find something interesting in every type of music. Started out a rap fan, went skater, then everything else. I'm really a fan of new wave/electro pop/indie types of music. Stuff that is distorted or makes use of phrygian mode.

Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): A big influence for me was Trent Reznor. But behind him was David Bowie, Queen, Skinny Puppy, New Order/Joy Division, The Smiths The Doors, Depeche Mode and in front of him was stuff like M83, K-OS, Magneta Lane, Desire, Kavinsky, Neon Indian, Twin Shadow, LadyTron, MIA, Peaches, Massive Attack and so on... I also like DJ Shadow, Afrika Bambaata, Kate Bush, NWA, Gary Numan, Smashing Pumpkins, Tea Party, Chemical Brothers, Outkast, Tupac, Dre, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Tool and much, much more...

Favourite Songs:

So unfair because there are so many, off the top...

5) Seal - Solitary Brother
4) Peaches - **** the Pain Away
3) Led Zeppelin - Trampled Under Foot
2) M83 - We Own the Sky
1) Nine Inch Nails - Heresy

Best Album(s) ever made:

Too many albums to name, I'll shorten to soundtracks that have influenced me...

5) The Crow
4) Akira
3) Dune
2) Escape from New York
1) Purple Rain

Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): I just don't appreciate a lot of country music, but I'm a mega Johnny Cash fan.

A song that you like from an artist you don't like: Look at that body by LMFAO.

Favourite Song from your birth year: Queen - We will Rock you.

Musical Experience: Play guitar (7 years), classical and modern. Play a little bit of piano. Dabbled with DJ gear. I've actually worked as a recording engineer for about 2.5 years. Mostly Nuendo and ProTools related. With a bit of experience in stuff like BeatCraft, MixCraft, Cubase, FruityLoops and more...

Favourite Song you made: I've made songs, but nothing released. Too cautious I guess. My band experience is limited, so the stuff I've made is mostly electronic based mixed with guitars/piano.

In parting, this is what I'm listening to right now:

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
This will be tough but here goes!

Favourite Genre: Erm, mostly acoustic but love Alt Rock and a fair selection of other stuff depending on mood

Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): Again loads but the standout ones are: Ben Howard, Elliott Smith, Frank Turner, Jeff Buckley, Jim Lockey and the solemn sun, Bon Iver, Radiohead, Muse, My Vitriol, Hundred Reasons, Streetlight Manifesto, Smashing Pumpkins and thanks to someone on this board I'm really loving Metric at the moment

Favourite Songs: Hmmm again a major toughie. Paranoid Android and Buckley's version of Hallelujah are right up there.

Best Album(s) ever made: Ok Computer............hands down.

Least Favourite Genre: Not a massive fan of R&B or Hip-hop, most modern pop stuff I'll refuse to listen to.

Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): Ones I can't stand? Would be a massive long list but a lot of Classic rock, and most of the stuff in the charts at the moment.

Most Over-appreciated song: Sweet Child of Mine.........I *********g hate that song.

A song that you like from and artist you don't like: Erm probably Promises by Nero.

Favourite Song from your birth year: There is a light that never goes out- The Smiths

Instruments you play: Guitar, Bass, Vocals

Musical Experience: Played in bands since I was 16 but now doing the typical and writing solo acoustic stuff.

Favourite Song you made: Erm a song called White Water, lyrics aren't all that great but really happy with the guitar line.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
^ Jeff Buckley's "Grace" is one of my favourites.

Also, "Please, Please, Please let me get what I want..." by The Smiths.

Actually, Johnny Marr just came out with this:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I can never list these things off the top of my head. And this thread has reminded my I need to sort out my music files ASAP….
Living in the middle east Im pretty much out of the loop on modern music especially hip hop and rock. But my travels have exposed me to some great music from other countries.

Favourite Genre: Probably Hip Hop followed by hard rock

Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): Faith No More (saw their last live show in Vancouver before they broke up, mind blowing), Deftones, Mr Bungle, Alice in Chains, the Smiths, Joy Division, Happy Mondays, Dire Straits, De La Soul, The Cars, Duran Duran, The Pogues, The Cure, Outkast, Del tha Funky Homosapien, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Buddy Holly, Kila (Irish band serious talent), Billy Idol, Tool, SoundGarden, Leonard Cohen, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Sade, MURS, Louis Logic, Cannibal Ox, Atmosphere, Gangstarr, Wilco

Some (too many) Favourite Songs:
Dire Straights - Brother in Arms, Telegraph Road, Ride Across the River
Pink Floyd - Wearing the Inside Out, Breath, Time, Fearless
Outkast- Funkin Around, Aquemini, So Fresh So Clean
De La Soul - Area, Ego Trippin, Eye Patch, Breakadawn
Beastie Boys – High Plains Drifter, Car Thief, Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun
Faith No More – Stripsearch, Everything’s Ruined, A Small Victory, Midlife Crisis, Kindergarten
Gangstarr – The Militia, Just to Get a Rep, Code of the Streets

Best Album(s) ever made:
Beastie Boys - Pauls Boutique (just an awesome awesome album)
De La Soul - Buhloone Mindstate (severely underrated)
Radiohead - The Bends and OK Computer
Faith No More - Angle Dust (Massive Patton fan and Jim Martin just rips it on this album. Too bad he left).
Dire Straits - Money for Nothing (side two is epic)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side, Animals

Least Favourite Genre: Country is hard for me to get into. Electric/house whatever music.
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): Bob Dylan is far too overrated.
A song that you like from and artist you don't like: Cant really think of one.
Favourite Song from your birth year: Dont know…

Instruments you play: the showerhead and the Strombone....

Musical Experience: I am pretty awesome when it comes to Karaoke. Love nothing more than going to a K-bar in Asia somewhere and defeat my asian competition.

Favourite Song you made: Changes everyday.

Last edited:

Epimetheus

Jun 2, 2011
Favourite Genre: I'm Prog Rock lunatic but I also like other subgenres of rock(not all of them) metal,jazz,and blues.

Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): Emerson,Lake&Palmer,Rush,King Crimson,Pink Floyd,Van der Graaf Generator,Eloy,Yes,Genesis,Jethro TullLed Zeppelin,Mahavishnu Orchestra,Pat Metheny,Return To Forever,Atheist,Death,Dream Theater,Symphony X,Ronnie James Dio,Janis Joplin,Jimi Hendrix,Cream,Frank Zappa,Miles Davis,John Coltrane,Howlin' Wolf,BB King,Jason Becker,Block Out,Smak,EKV,Isis,Meshuggah,Intronaut,Cynic,Tool and many,many more.I forgot someone but whatever.

Favourite Songs: I could list at least 100 songs and still won't be half way through so I'm gonna list some post rock song since I'm new to the genre(started listening a couple of months ago).
Mogwai - I'm Jim Morrison,I'm Dead.
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'East Hastings
Toe - Kodoku No Katsumei
This Will Destroy You - Burial On The Presidio Banks
Epic45 - Their Voices In The Rafters

Best Album(s) ever made: This is even harder.I'll say "In The Court Of The Crimson King" by King Crimson cause that's the most imporant album in my life and it changed the way I understand music.

Least Favourite Genre: Don't have one.I concentrate on things I love so all other genres are the same to me.

Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): From the things I listened to - Aerosmith...don't know why.Bieber,Minaj are other dimension,I sometimes think they're prophets and they are testing us to see how low our bar can be set.

Most Over-appreciated song: No idea.

Favourite Song from your birth year: Coroner - Semtex Revolution
Atheist - Mother Man
Any song from "Human" by Death.

Favourite Song you made: I write a poetry but none of that will be recorded.

rebel diamond

Sep 2, 2008
Toronto
So my goal this year is to listen to more new music. In 2011 I made it through upwards of 40 albums, while in 2012 it was probably only about 10.

So far I'm really digging Wolf's Law by The Joy Formidable. Great sophomore album that had a big task in following up The Big Roar, which was one of my favourite of 2011.

Other albums I'm liking so far are Frightened Rabbit's Pedestrian Verse and Tegan and Sara's Heartthrob.

Pseudonymous*

Also had to add this underrated song:

Fast Car - Tracy Chapman

Not underrated for views, but never hear this song unless I go searching for it.

One of the greatest songs, its funny because i have this on my cd in the car and my friends are in their mid 20s and listen to all sorts of music but definitely not that genre, moreso club music/electronic/hip hop/mainstream

but no matter what they listen to, my friends always like this song.

jrlp

Jan 30, 2008
Vancouver
Thine is over here:

https://soundcloud.com/thine-2

And I forgot to play the game...!

Some songs I made are here and you may or may not care!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_RL_Phelps_and_the_Downer_Trio

A few formative faves are: Joy Division, Public Image Ltd., The Cure, Comsat Angels, The Sound, Iris Dement, George Jones, The Clash, Gary Numan, John Denver, Sex Pistols, Stooges, Beatles, Stones, U2, Television, Killing Joke, Gang Of Four, The Go Betweens, Psychedelic Furs, Swans, Husker Du, Elton John, Brian Eno, Replacements, Lucinda Williams, B-52s, New Order, Big Black, Echo And The Bunnymen, Died Pretty, The Chills, Chet Baker, Metallica, Flipper, Townes Van Zandt, Arvo Part, Glenn Gould, Coltrane, American Music Club, Miles, Sonic Youth, Louvin Brothers, Shellac, Talk Talk, Savage Republic, Palace, Cheap Trick, Kiss, Bruce, Neil, Bob, you get the idea.

Overrated:
Seattle Heyday (Sgarden, Alice, MLovebone, Shotgun Mama, Gas Huffer, Hammerbox, PJam and so very many more be glad you missed it, and Pixies)
Best ones at the time, probably Tree People, Jessamine, Engine Kid. Right now, Zebra Hunt (yep, Mercer of D Trio, James' brother)

Lately:
Got a thing for edgy/weird-o something-or-other kinda outfits these days: The Body, Locrian/Mammifer, Sunn 0))), From Ashes Rise, Lightbearer, Isis, Boris, Derniere Volonte, Torche, Loincloth, Black Breath, Menace Ruine, Open Graves, Leviathan, Drudkh, Master Musicians Of Bukkake, Kylessa, Funerary Call, High On Fire Hellhammer, Depressor, I don't know, lotsa junk.

Neil + Crazyhorse really got it all done the other day. Seriously, a treasure.

Plus SWANS.
I mean cripes in the crabapples...SWANS. Sheesh.

Unholy Hell this is a long post. I hurt my eyes and probably yours.

Best,

jrlp

Last edited:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
A few formative faves are: Joy Division, Public Image Ltd., The Cure, Comsat Angels, The Sound, Iris Dement, George Jones, The Clash, Gary Numan, John Denver, Sex Pistols, Stooges, Beatles, Stones, U2, Television, Killing Joke, Gang Of Four, The Go Betweens, Psychedelic Furs, Swans, Husker Du, Elton John, Brian Eno, Replacements, Lucinda Williams, B-52s, New Order, Big Black, Echo And The Bunnymen, Died Pretty, The Chills, Chet Baker, Metallica, Flipper, Townes Van Zandt, Arvo Part, Glenn Gould, Coltrane, American Music Club, Miles, Sonic Youth, Louvin Brothers, Shellac, Talk Talk, Savage Republic, Palace, Cheap Trick, Kiss, Bruce, Neil, Bob, you get the idea.

**** yes! Such an awesome band.

jrlp

Jan 30, 2008
Vancouver

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Pro tip for music lovers in Canada: install the Media Hint add-on in Firefox (not working right now in Chrome), and get access to Spotify.

edit: you can also get American Netflix, provided you have a Canadian account already.

Nuck Bonino

May 10, 2011
My playlist
Santigold - Shove It
Airbourne - Runnin' Wild
The View - Comin' Down
Pop Levi - Sugar Assault Me Now
Santigold | L.E.S. Artistes
The Mooney Suzuki - 99%
Airbourne- Stand Up For Rock n Roll
Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
Fever Ray 'If I Had A Heart'
Shaggy-Mr.Boom Bastic
The Strokes- Rhythm Song
The Strokes - You Only Live Once
JULIAN CASABLANCAS - 11TH DIMENSION
The Ponys - Double Vision
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. "Windows"
Arctic Monkeys - When The Sun Goes Down
The Black Keys - 10 A.M. Automatic
David Bowie - Rebel Rebel
Julian Casablancas - 11th Dimension
FC Kahuna - Hayling
Oasis - The Hindu Times
Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
Arctic Monkeys - A Certain Romance
Beastie Boys - Sabotage
Pixies - Where is my Mind
Missy Elliott - Get Ur Freak On
Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor
Kasabian - Fire
Kasabian - L.S.F
Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head
Pulp - This Is Hardcore

Yeah Ill pretty much listen to any genre

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
------------------Zombo's Picks

Favourite Genre: New Wave, post-punk, chillwave, jazz, pre-1950s big-band/swing, classic rock...ish. I like a lot of what's passing for "indie" music, but I haven't nailed down many favourites.

Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): Do you really want me to do this? I'll try and group them together by relative similarity:

Vince Guaraldi
John Coltrane
Dave Brubeck

Rush from 2112 to Power Windows
Steely Dan
Fleetwood Mac
Van Halen (and not Van Hagar)
The Cars
Post-Peter Gabriel Genesis up to "Mama"

FM (if you like Rush, listen to their less successful friends, FM)
Saga

Bruce Cockburn

The Police
The (English) Beat

New Order

The Human League
Heaven 17

Japan

Duran Duran

A Flock of Seagulls
Spoons

The Psychedelic Furs
The Church

Altered Images

Comsat Angels

U2 pre-Joshua Tree (though there's obviously a special place in my heart for "Where the Streets Have No Name")

Talking Heads
Martha and the Muffins (the Canadian equivalent of Talking Heads)

Rough Trade
Pukka Orchestra
The Tenants

Men at Work

Thomas Dolby
Gary Numan
Nash the Slash(!!)

Devo

The Vancouver scene of the '80s:
The Payola$

Doug and the Slugs

Images in Vogue
The Modernettes

Early 54-40
Chalk Circle

'90s music:
Pavement
Teenage Fanclub

The alternative scene of the late '90s:
Big Wreck
Matthew Good Band

Barenaked Ladies prior to Maroon

Contemporary music:
Neon Indian
Com Truise
Twin Shadow
Beach House
Beach Fossils
Each Other

Best Album(s) ever made Favourite Album(s): Both Payola$ albums from their prime years (No Stranger to Danger and Hammer on a Drum), The Blurred Crusade by The Church, Talk Talk Talk by the Psychedelic Furs, Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain by Pavement

Least Favourite Genre: I've developed a love/hate relationship with classic rock. :help: Most rock from the past decade or so is complete junk, IMO.

Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s):
It'd be a waste of time to tell you what bands I have little appreciation for because they're generally disliked by everyone, but for some reason I dislike Blood, Sweat and Tears. :dunno:

Most Over-appreciated song: Any hits ever produced by AC/DC come to mind. I've grown to dislike many classic-rock staples, to be honest.

A song that you like from and artist you don't like: There's at least one Rihanna song I enjoy, and that's all I'm gonna say. I like "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele, too.

Favourite Song A song you like from your birth year: Talk Talk - New Grass (yes, that's the same band known for "It's My Life." They went art-rock after that song.)
Also, A Tribe Called Quest was really awesome...

Because I'm Mr. GDT nowadays, you can expect to see some of these bands pop up in the future. ;D

Last edited:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Personally, rock's just not my type of music. I do like folk music though? :(

I don't know what qualifies for that but if you mean like Neil Young, City and Colour, Johnny Cash then yes. I have zero idea of what folk is. The only genres I don't love is country, dupstep, and modern rap, hip hop, r n b. Even then I like some songs from those genres. Except dupstep. **** dupstep.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I don't what qualifies for that but if you mean like Neil Young, City and Colour, Johnny Cash then yes. I have zero idea of what folk is. The only genres I don't love is country, dupstep, and modern rap, hip hop, r n b. Even then I like some songs from those genres. Except dupstep. **** dupstep.

Celtic folk mainly.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2