OT: Rev's All-Purpose Music Appreciation Thread

rebel diamond

Sep 2, 2008
Toronto
So did anyone watch any of the Coachella streaming over the weekend? I caught bits an pieces of it, some was pretty good some not so much. I was pretty underwhelmed by what I saw of Phoenix and very underwhelmed by what I saw of Yeasayer. I like their music, but I don't really have any interest in seeing them live. On the flipside, I was impressed by The Lumineers (which I expected), The Airborne Toxic Event (which I didn't), and Cloud Nothings (which I was unsure what to expect of).

Last edited:

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I'm bored, so I decided to shuffle my music library to see what the first 10 songs are.

Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 (Adagio) - London Symphony Orchestra
Debussy's Isle Joyuese - Mauizio Pollini
Blessing - Scott Alan
Stood Up - Susan Calloway
Love Grows - Nobuo Uemastu
Dear Daphne - Clara C
The Attack on Rue Plumet - Les Miserables 10th Anniversary Cast
Holst's The Planets Suite (Jupiter) - Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
Honest Man - Current Swell
One Voice - Wailin' Jennys

Strange combination of music.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Listening to Total Eclipse of My heart.

If anyone judges...
I give you this:

I am a man...
I am a muppet of a man...

JA

Sound of Contact has just released its first ever single, "Not Coming Down," from their debut album. So far, they've had people from across the progressive rock community visit them on tour. They have received some tremendous reviews. Many feel the band has huge potential.

Here's one brief analysis of their debut album, "Dimensionaut":

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/1160-Sound-of-Contact-New-Progressive-Rock-Band-with-Simon-Collins-amp-Squids!?p=98371&viewfull=1#post98371

Without writing a specific review, I would say that this album combines classic prog with some of the more modern wave of proggers, all built around a SciFi concept. There are elements of classic Rush, Genesis, Yes & Floyd, along with Porcupine Tree & Anathema. The sonic textures & production give a very lush, occasionally dense (in a good way), contemporary sound, but you'll recognise classic analog sounds in there too, especially on keyboards. Vocally, Simon sounds very similar to his father for the most part, but in places more like Gabriel, and some of his lines are delivered a Steven Wilson style.

There's a lot of music, and like most good prog, it takes 3 or 4 listenings to get into. Once you do, there are some tremendous hooks in there that won't let you go. Great songwriting, playing, singing and production. I'm getting shivers down the spine just thinking of it.

Sound-of-Contact-Dimensionaut-Cover-300x300.jpg

http://www.dawnofthedeaf.co.uk/sound-of-contact-dimensionaut-album-review/
About three minutes into the song I Am Dimensionaut there is some drumkit cleverness. I mention this because if you listen to Duke’s Travels by Genesis you might notice some very similar cleverness. This is no coincidence – Sound Of Contact is the new band featuring Simon Collins, son of Phil. I won’t labour this point because I want to discuss this band and this album, not the music of the drummer’s dad, but there is no denying the Genesis influence here – it comes at you in spades. On top of this Simon drums and sings spookily like his father. I’m not complaining – Phil is one of my great heroes as a musician; without him and his work with Genesis and Brand X I’d probably never have started drumming myself. So, as far as I’m concerned, this is all just spiffing. I will now discuss this no further.

With that out of the way then, what do we actually have here? Well, we have a 71 minute long science fiction progressive concept album about a dimension-jumping space pioneer. Somewhat brave for a fledgling band’s debut disc don’t you think? This was a question I put to Simon and his partner-in-cryme Dave Kerzner during a phone interview they were kind enough to let me inflict upon them, but you’ll have to wait to find out what they said because there isn’t space here. Sorry! Suffice to say, releasing an album such as this would have been commercial suicide just a few years ago. But today? Maybe not… maybe the musical climate is shifting a bit thanks to the likes of Muse, so maybe it stands a chance.

When I first heard that a Collins was drumming on a science fiction themed album I could barely believe my luck – InsideOut Records seemed to have conjured up a record tailor-made specifically for me. Brilliant, eh? However, as is the way with things that sound too good to be true, I assumed it would be too good to be true. But you know what? It isn’t too good to be true. It’s blinkin’ brilliant.

255723_500744993326709_1571778017_n.jpg

Their debut album, "Dimensionaut," will be released on May 20, 2013 in Europe and on May 28, 2013 worldwide.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
I heard about this CD back in 97/98, but just recently checked it out and I can't get enough, the whole thing is great. My favourite album in a long time. At parts, it's as though he tries to make the music sound like water/rain/waves/the ocean... it's crazy.

1. Seventh Wave 0:00
2. Life 6:51 - this was one of the choices for my school's grad song, but nobody had heard of it, so it lost out to Greenday's Time of your life - by a landslide.
3. Night 11:23
4. Hide Nowhere 16:08
5. Sister 21:09
6. 3 A.M. 23:59
7. Voices in the Fan 25:54
8. Greetings 30:34
9. Regulator 33:27
10. Funeral 38:34
11. ******* (Not One of My Better Days / Girl from Blue City) 46:40
12. The Death of Music 56:57
13. Things Beyond Things 1:09:12

Last edited:

JA

Interestingly enough, people have noted that Simon at times sounds more like Peter Gabriel than his own father. Here's what the band's co-founder/co-producer/co-writer/keyboardist, Dave Kerzner, said about that. He posts over at another forum with the alias "Squids":

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/1160-Sound-of-Contact-New-Progressive-Rock-Band-with-Simon-Collins-amp-Squids!?p=93280&viewfull=1#post93280
Squids said:
Some hint of PC in there is of course a given. In the blood! Haha. Although it was interesting to hear what Phil thought when he heard an early version of it. He loved it and thought certain parts reminded him of "old Genesis" and he was surprised that Simon seemed to sound more like Peter Gabriel than he did like him. Although it depends on the song, the range, the key, the style and even down to who wrote what... and I would be the culprit on the Gabriel style because PG is a big influence on me vocally and lyrically. Also my voice is in the Gilmour/Gabriel sort of style with a hint of Jon Anderson falsetto when needed. I know that's an odd combination. Matt is similar in that way (but maybe his high voice is more like Sting's than JA). The three of us do all the harmonies on the album (apart from the song Hannah sings on).

As for the drums, I think I did bring my ball and biscuit for one song. I picked up that trick from Hugh Padgham. But otherwise, apart from it being a Grestch in a small reflective room, there was no conscious effort to go for that sound... it did end up somewhat Duke/Abacab "analog" sounding which I happen to like a lot. You can "hear" the drummer drumming (as opposed to it having no personality and just keeping the groove behind the players or sounding programmed... nothing was programmed on this album except one tiny little effect at the end of "Only Breathing Out").

Also yeah Nick Davis mixed it so he has a sort of Genesis style in that but also XTC and other bands he's worked with. We were producing so it was actually us who wanted this or that to be BIG or small or swimming with echo or whatever. But, as much of a huge Genesis fan that I am, it would not be accurate to say this is all supposed to be like Genesis. Just an obvious heavy influence is all. As mentioned you hear a real blend of influences and exploratory new sounds and styles at play (especially incorporating a more film scoring type approach to prog rock... sort of like Pink Floyd but with more virtuoso type playing involved a la Genesis, Yes etc.). But, anyway, each person can make up their own mind what they compare it to. I only know how I feel about it co-writing the whole thing. I know what I like. WOOPS! No no no! Ok fine. ;)

So I suppose even Phil Collins himself picked up on his son's Gabriel-esque sound.

People are starting to post tracks from the album early. The album has been on sale at the concerts themselves. I can provide another track from the album based on what others have uploaded.

4. "I Am Dimensionaut" (my favorite bit happens at 2:54)

And another official video:

2. "Cosmic Distance Ladder" (an instrumental leading up to "Pale Blue Dot")

Last edited by a moderator:

JA

From what I've heard of Dimensionaut so far, I'd have to say it's a great album. A few tracks have been leaked. This is the last track I'll post, since I want people to support the band by actually purchasing the album:

7. "Beyond Illumination" (uploaded in... 240p)

It sounds great.

And a bit more analysis of the album:

http://www.dawnofthe...t-album-review/
There is so much to enjoy on this album I don’t know where to start. ‘Not Coming Down’ and ‘Closer To You’ are wonderfully catchy tunes that you’ll never get out of your head, ‘Möbius Strip’ (or Slip or Sleep as it is variously named in my press pack) is a full-on twenty-minute progressive suite, ‘I Am Dimensionaut’ is a rocking slice of tricksy prog, ‘Only Breathing Out’ is a modern alt-rock anthem, ‘Pale Blue Dot’ is a bit like latter-period Peter Gabriel, ‘Realm Of In-Organic Beings’ is a spacey Floyd-like soundscape… the list goes on. And through it all, a sense of isolation and wonder is maintained by carefully-chosen soundtrack-like sounds and moods. Progressive, tuneful, exciting, emotional… it’s all here. It even has some computery bleeps.

[As an aside, Dimensionaut reminds me at times of Marscape, the sci-fi prog-fusion epic recorded by Collins senior in the seventies - but you won't have heard that because it's so rare, so I don't know why I mentioned it really...]

To be honest, I’m not sure how they pulled this off – subject matter like this almost always comes across as insincere and overblown when set to music, but here it just doesn’t. It sounds like they made the album they always wanted to. It could also have been a horrid parody of everything Genesis et. al. stood for yet it only ever pays respectful homage to the great bands of yesteryear. Yes, parts of ‘Möbius’ are clearly inspired by Watcher Of The Skies but the differences are great enough that you couldn’t convincingly put forward any claims of plagiarism here. Where ideas from the past are deployed they are given a modern rock sound, keeping this album rooted in the music of today and not of the seventies.

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
Favourite Genre: Indie, electronic, post rock.
Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): The Shins, The Veils, Okkervil River, Annuals, The Besnard Lakes, The Wrens, The Walkmen, Sigur Ros, Band of Horses, My Morning Jacket, Ambulance Ltd Annie Lenox, Cindy Lauper, Stone Roses, Underworld, Engineers, Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Au4, Looper, Mum, Bruce Springsteen (early), Alabama 3, Counting Crows, .
Favourite Songs: Joggers - Loosen Up, Chemical Bros - Asleep from Day, Okkervil River - For Real, The Besnard Lakes - For Agent, The Clientele - E.M.P.T.Y. The La's - There She Goes, Mathew Jay - Call my Name Out, Jets to Brazil - In the Summer's when you really know, The Veils - Leavers Dance, My Morning Jacket - Gideon, The Stills - Gender Bombs
Best Album(s) Stone Roses,
Least Favourite Genre: Rap
Least Appreciated Band or Artist. Oasis (can't stand them)
Most Over-appreciated song: Anything by Oasis.
A song that you like from and artist you don't like: Howie Day - Sunday Morning Song.
Favourite Song from your birth year: Haven't got one.

Instruments you play: G&L SC2 guitar thro' Hayden Essex Blonde 15A
Musical Experience: 5 years
Favourite Song you made: Haven't made a song, 'cause I'm hopeless at it.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Going to see these guys in November. Come on down to the Red Room for their only Canadian date this tour!

I'm bored, so I decided to shuffle my music library to see what the first 10 songs are.

Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 (Adagio) - London Symphony Orchestra
Debussy's Isle Joyuese - Mauizio Pollini
Blessing - Scott Alan
Stood Up - Susan Calloway
Love Grows - Nobuo Uemastu
Dear Daphne - Clara C
The Attack on Rue Plumet - Les Miserables 10th Anniversary Cast
Holst's The Planets Suite (Jupiter) - Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
Honest Man - Current Swell
One Voice - Wailin' Jennys

Strange combination of music.

Oooo been a while since I did one of these.

Last Caress/Green Hell - Metallica
Delivering the Goods - Judas Priest
Too Many Puppies - Primus
Blackball - KMFDM
Living Dead Girl - Rob Zombie
Mein Land - Rammstein
Temptation - The Tea Party
Burden in my Hand - Soundgarden
Mann von Welt - Megaherz
Werd ich am Galgen hochgezogen - In Extremo

Okay, maybe not as well-rounded, but has more awesome.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): Christ. Umm I saw a band open for Destroyer and the Flaming Lips back at the old plaza of nations, the something or other Mints. They sucked.

Starlight Mints! They were terrible.

Also, Reverend Mayhem, aren't you like 19? Are your parents even old enough for them to be into the music you listen to? :laugh:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Starlight Mints! They were terrible.

Also, Reverend Mayhem, aren't you like 19? Are your parents even old enough for them to be into the music you listen to? :laugh:

Ehhh I'm 21 soon.

I have a somewhat refined taste in music. Also I was raised on Rush and the Eagles. So yes. ;)

EDIT: Actually I like Workingman's Dead more than American Beauty. Still such great albums. The beauty is this music has been around so long and you get to discover it! Nothing quite like the first time you listen to bands like Beach Boys, Beatles, Grateful Dead, Buffalo Springfield, etc.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
I heard about this CD back in 97/98, but just recently checked it out and I can't get enough, the whole thing is great. My favourite album in a long time. At parts, it's as though he tries to make the music sound like water/rain/waves/the ocean... it's crazy.

1. Seventh Wave 0:00
2. Life 6:51 - this was one of the choices for my school's grad song, but nobody had heard of it, so it lost out to Greenday's Time of your life - by a landslide.
3. Night 11:23
4. Hide Nowhere 16:08
5. Sister 21:09
6. 3 A.M. 23:59
7. Voices in the Fan 25:54
8. Greetings 30:34
9. Regulator 33:27
10. Funeral 38:34
11. ******* (Not One of My Better Days / Girl from Blue City) 46:40
12. The Death of Music 56:57
13. Things Beyond Things 1:09:12

Beauty of an album. I'm a really ambivalent Devin listener and don't care for all of his albums, but I find this alongside Ocean Machine one of the best things ever in any genre. Strapping Young Lad's City is the third choice on my Top3 of Devin things to listen, highly recommended. :handclap:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I didn't even know this was a thread that existed...

The new Thee Silver Mt Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-la-la Band album is good. Latest Mogwai album is also quite strong.

Both bands are playing Vancouver in May. I'll be at the Commodore show for Mogwai.

/early-to-mid-aughts post-rock nostalgia

SpecialK139

Bo Hor-fat
Aug 8, 2012
Burnaby
Anybody else here big into some of the more recent but older sounding rock floating around? Jack White/his various projects, The Black Keys, Monster Truck, stuff in that vein. Something I've been really getting into lately, and am always looking for new music with that ballsy blues rock sound...

One band I'm starting to grow really attached to at the moment that are just working on their first album: Royal Blood. Can't wait for more releases by them

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver

The new Thee Silver Mt Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-la-la Band album is good. Latest Mogwai album is also quite strong.

Both bands are playing Vancouver in May. I'll be at the Commodore show for Mogwai.

Nice! I was a big Godspeed! and Mogwai fan back in the day. Been to 2 Mogwai shows in Vancouver. Loudest live band I've ever heard by far. My ears were buzzing for days, but it was one if the best shows I've ever witnessed.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Nice! I was a big Godspeed! and Mogwai fan back in the day. Been to 2 Mogwai shows in Vancouver. Loudest live band I've ever heard by far. My ears were buzzing for days, but it was one if the best shows I've ever witnessed.

:laugh:

They've mellowed out over the years and admit now that the volume at their shows when they were younger was reckless, bordering on cruel. Now they just have a loud (but reasonable) very crisp audio setup, with ridiculously low bases that make you feel like your organs are liquifying.

Last time we were right up by the side of the stage with our beers on the stage, casually resting our arms and watching them play. Great experience.

I saw them at Lee's Palace in Toronto about a decade ago and they were similarly magnificent. One of the guitarists broke 4 strings on his guitar during My Father My Kingdom.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

ah dirgey post-rock. not my favourite thing these days, but i am enjoying that new collaborative album by eluvium and the friday night lights guy.

but on that topic, and nostalgia, was anyone else at the beans show at the sugar refinery that lasted 48 hours? probably 2001, i think. makes me sleepy just thinking about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad