OT: Reviews of the 'tailgate party' down at Maple Leaf Square

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Its the same thing during euro/world cup time. You get a bunch of people who only watch the sport once every 2 years give you their expert analysis and try to cause fights with opposing fans. Drunken idiots and girl fairweather fans are the most annoying.
As much as I love seeing hot girls out and about, I definitely agree on that front. :laugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Playoffs attract the fairweather fans, and unfortunately a LOT of our fairweather fans are ****ing idiots who know very little about hockey yet act like they know more than anyone, all while using it as an excuse to get drunk and act tough. The same guys who know jack **** about the team yet act superior.

I was at the game and didn't see much in terms of this, but obviously just stupid drunk guys walking around acting like they're the ****, talking smack to every Bruins fan that walked by etc.

This is the reason I'll be avoiding the square at all costs. It seems like a breeding ground for idiots. Walking through to get to the ACC before tonight's game was enough for me.

Absolutely, what a gong show. MLSE handled this very poorly, I'm surprised no one was hurt in the crush to get to the building.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
936745_10152815466535722_12684554_n.jpg

Here's the idiot. He even made the ****ing ribbon.

I had to snap a photo because I wanted to share on Facebook how disgusted I was.

He sat about 8 rows in front of me and was on the big screen. I don't think many really saw it inside and I believe the guy was just a clueless idiot.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Quite the opposite inside the arena, many were singing along, and loud cheers at the end.

1st game I've been to since shortly after 9/11 where you could hear people singing along.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
next time come in from the other side of the building, not all that difficult to avoid
If you're already on that end of the arena it's sort of hard. You either enter the ACC from Maple Leaf Square, or walk through into the gate at Union, but that's a zoo as well. The only good thing is we went into the ACC at like 5:45 so there was no line at all, it was just getting through the square that sucked.

Tomorrow I'll try going in through Bay Street.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
If you're already on that end of the arena it's sort of hard. You either enter the ACC from Maple Leaf Square, or walk through into the gate at Union, but that's a zoo as well. The only good thing is we went into the ACC at like 5:45 so there was no line at all, it was just getting through the square that sucked.

I went in through gate 4 at the northwest corner of Bay and Lake Shore at Around 6:30, no delay at all.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

We went through later, around 630 or so.

They should have set up a path along the Telus building and only allow the people to flow one way towards the ACC. The biggest problem were people heading in opposite directions along the same narrow route that was lined by people camping out to watch.

I saw old people, young children being jostled by the surge. One old guy looked like he was going to go down, lost at sea.

To say "just go to Bay street" is a pretty stupid.

Total gong show.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I went in through gate 4 at the northwest corner of Bay and Lake Shore at Around 6:30, no delay at all.

We were on Front for dinner and headed down York, guy I took wanted to check out the Square. I gave MLSE too much credit, my own fault.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I got something to say about the 'booing of the American anthem'

in my area atleast, people were booing the players all pregame when they came on the screen - and the speakers weren't loud enough to project to the back, so for a little bit people were booing the anthem per se. But it died down when they realized that the dude was signing.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
We were on Front for dinner and headed down York, guy I took wanted to check out the Square. I gave MLSE too much credit, my own fault.

I live on the southeast corner of that same intersection, left my place at 6:20, in my seat at 6:35.

You were right though, despite the outcome, attending the game was lots of fun, more fun than any regular season win I've attended.

There were a surprisingly low amount bruins fans in the arena.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
I live on the southeast corner of that same intersection, left my place at 6:20, in my seat at 6:35.

You were right though, despite the outcome, attending the game was lots of fun, more fun than any regular season win I've attended.

yes i was impressed by this..i saw like 7 bruins fans total

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Nothing like the Playoffs, regular season isn't close.

There were a few Bruin fans near me but not many. No where near as many as during the season.

palmateer67

Feb 6, 2010
New York City
He sat about 8 rows in front of me and was on the big screen. I don't think many really saw it inside and I believe the guy was just a clueless idiot.

This guy might be a "clueless idiot", but I can't say much for most Bruin fans in Boston. I was at the game on Saturday night with my wife, and the "**** you, Canada" and "One-ball Kessel" comments never stopped. They were extraordinarily rude and bitter all night, which was a great disappointment, especially after the bombing. As lame as some Leaf fans might be, the Bruin fans are in a (low) class of their own.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
This guy might be a "clueless idiot", but I can't say much for most Bruin fans in Boston. I was at the game on Saturday night with my wife, and the "**** you, Canada" and "One-ball Kessel" comments never stopped. They were extraordinarily rude and bitter all night, which was a great disappointment, especially after the bombing. As lame as some Leaf fans might be, the Bruin fans are in a (low) class of their own.

Too bad, doesn't sound like a good experience.

I meant he was a "clueless idiot" because he most likely didn't understand what his own sign meant.

FWIW, I've seen some pretty bad things at the ACC over the years. Dumb knows no borders.

EDDIE20*

Yeah, that **** isn't any better. Bruins fans are whining about the sign now but they should really look in the mirror.

palmateer67

Feb 6, 2010
New York City
All of that said about the "clueless idiots" in Boston and Toronto, the experience of the Leafs win - especially Kessel's breakaway goal - was unbelievable. We had an intensely good time despite the bitter drunken folks!

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

With the amount of publicity the sign is getting, I imagine TD Gardens wont be a friendly place for Leafs fans moving forward this series.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
With the amount of publicity the sign is getting, I imagine TD Gardens wont be a friendly place for Leafs fans moving forward this series.

I'm surprised they let him in the building with it. I guess the Usher didn't understand the meaning either.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I'm surprised they let him in the building with it. I guess the Usher didn't understand the meaning either.
You clearly don't understand that it isn't taking a shot at anything to do with the bombings. My god people are so easily offended these days it's ridiculous

palmateer67

Feb 6, 2010
New York City
The "Boston Strong" saying has nothing to do with hockey. They are only using it to sell t-shirts. The fact that they are acting so sensitive about it is silly....just like how they swear at you if you're Canadian. These morons don't even realize that 80% of their team is from Canada.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
The "Boston Strong" saying has nothing to do with hockey. They are only using it to sell t-shirts. The fact that they are acting so sensitive about it is silly....just like how they swear at you if you're Canadian. These morons don't even realize that 80% of their team is from Canada.
Well that's the funniest thing about it.

Leaf_Crazy

Jan 22, 2003
Toronto

If the money from T-shirts is being kept, its wrong. If its being donated to the victims then I dont see the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad