OT: Reviews of the 'tailgate party' down at Maple Leaf Square

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
I got there at 5:30. While there was a long lineup and tons of people showed up before me, I had no problems getting in. I'm not sure if it would be busier on a Saturday night though.

For the record, they sell Canadian and Coors Light Tallboys. ;) ...and they only patted down random people and just checked bags for everyone else.

i'd imagine it would be busier...and drunker tonight...with the jays game and all...and a weekend.

as for molson and coors...ugh, i'd rather drink my own pee.

i'll stay at home. beer is colder..cheaper..tastier..and the washroom lines are shorter.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I have a question maybe someone knows, I saw tonight everyone had wristbands on, do you need to reserve a spot in advance to be there? I was thinking of going but I don't want to have to show up at like 4 pm.

Dr Turk

Jul 4, 2008
Toronto
and not to sound like a pig, but...the women were fantastic. definitely not what i associate with actual ACC Leafs crowds. (i witnessed a couple catcalls, but generally people were fine.)

Glad to see I'm not the only one that noticed that. I was so surprised:amazed:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Ya, what's the deal with watching games there?

I was really hoping it would be a 'come as you please' situation and not some kind of restricted access, de facto patio for real sports. Eventually though, If the leafs do well, people will just end up overflowing down Bremner blvd all the way to the Dome.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

I was really hoping it would be a 'come as you please' situation and not some kind of restricted access, de facto patio for real sports. Eventually though, If the leafs do well, people will just end up overflowing down Bremner blvd all the way to the Dome.

They only let a certain amount of people into square where you can drink and whatnot. There was a huge line-up today to get in/get wristbands but they never let anyone in once the game started. Didn't really matter though unless you wanted to drink because you can see the screen from anywhere.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I have a question maybe someone knows, I saw tonight everyone had wristbands on, do you need to reserve a spot in advance to be there? I was thinking of going but I don't want to have to show up at like 4 pm.

I think it's a first come first serve type of deal. It is a limited amount of space so I'm guessing they probably give wristbands on a first come first serve basis so that people can wander around (perhaps during intermissions or before the game actually starts?) and still be able to get back into the area without problems.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
They only let a certain amount of people into square where you can drink and whatnot. There was a huge line-up today to get in/get wristbands but they never let anyone in once the game started. Didn't really matter though unless you wanted to drink because you can see the screen from anywhere.

Thanks. That's what I was figuring. You could just hang out anywhere on Bremner and watch it. I can remember watching a bit of. TFC match being played on the screen from the sky dome concourse.

The city will probably shut down traffic across that whole stretch eventually.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana

I was there tonight, it was a blast!!!!

The wristbands are given to you when you enter the square. All it means is that they've checked your ID and you are of legal age to purchase alcohol.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Just came back from there -- it was incredible. This was the scene on Bremner afterwards

That looks like it has the possibility of ending terribly to be honest. All it'll take is one drunk idiot and it could ruin it for everybody. Fingers crossed it doesn't get silly down there because it's pretty awesome the idea.

unstuck

Dec 23, 2010
Toronto
That looks like it has the possibility of ending terribly to be honest. All it'll take is one drunk idiot and it could ruin it for everybody. Fingers crossed it doesn't get silly down there because it's pretty awesome the idea.

it was definitely on the edge. Some cars were getting so swarmed that they just moved ahead (slowly) through the crowds; not hard to imagine someone getting hurt in that. After the Vancouver riots, I said I didn't think anything like that would hapen in Toronto, but I'm not so sure now!

This was just a single round 1 win....

The Man in White

Jun 28, 2004
Anyone know is Dundas Square is showing the games? I know they showed the Gold Medal game during the Olympics and the amount of people there were huge.

The Wall

Mar 28, 2013
My god after one game that celebration... If we win the cup, the city will cease to exist.

LadyLeaf

Apr 14, 2013
Toronto

You could always choose not to go into the beer service area, there was lots of people behind the barrier who were having fun... lots of people who brought folding chairs , and the screen is huge so you still get a great view. If they want to serve alcohol unfortunately they have to block off an area by law.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
i wanna go down but all i can think about is how ****ing awful its going to be if we lose Monday.

You just know idiots are gonna cause trouble and be losers and start a riot

Platapie

Oct 25, 2004
i wanna go down but all i can think about is how ****ing awful its going to be if we lose Monday.

Given that we've already lost a game. Badly. And nothing bad happened, I don't understand why you think this.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

If nothing happened after we lost Game 1, what makes you think something is going to happen if we lose Game 3 or even lose the series eventually? We're not Vancouver or Montreal, WE DO NOT RIOT. Trust me! I've seen this team go to the Conference Finals and lose in OT in Game 6 to Carolina and the city was fine. We CELEBRATE hard but we don't lose hard. I honestly wish people would understand this city more and the people in it. We love our Leafs but one thing I'm proud of is that we don't ruin our city.

Last edited:

member 147413

I don't think they're doing it for home games, but I was there yesterday and it was a blast. Spent the first 2 periods outdoors, during intermissions walked around Real Sports and bought a hat almost bought a WC Jersey and spent the 3rd in RSB, crazy after JVR's goal.

stickyiki

Feb 4, 2009
Streets of Shaolin
Was there yesterday at 5pm and all I can say is that it was such a great atmosphere. Had a really awesome time watching the game and being surrounded by real fans. Aside from the crappy food/beer prices, it was an amazing experience. For those wondering about the home games, they will be doing this for every game in the series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad