OT: Reviews of the 'tailgate party' down at Maple Leaf Square

puckluck19

Registered User?
Oct 20, 2008
Courtice, ON
Was thinking of heading down on Saturday night to MLSQ to watch the game, was just wondering who might have went down last night and what their experience was?

Just general info like washroom availability, food/beer/concession prices and lines, general cheerfulness/mood of the crowd (obviously don't mean late in the third when we were down 4-1 :laugh:), "family-friendliness", good/bad experiences, etc...

Saturday could be ripe for attending the Jays game in the afternoon and a walk over to MLSQ for the afternoon/evening.

thanks in advance

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Was great.

Tons of people, great atmosphere, lots of energy, the anthem singing and the JvR goal was great. As for prices, food, etc., no idea as I was too busy socializing with friends I met there and taking photos and watching the game while others got beers for me. We ate before we showed up and then ate at E11even after

There was access to beer on the other side of the stage, and the energy of the crowd was great until the game got out of hand. Pre-game, it was as electric as I remember the city being - and I was there for all game 1s against the Sens and Flyers 9 years ago.

TheDream

May 3, 2011
Ontario
There was a couple Boston fans acting obnoxious that almost got pretty ugly. 8-10 Leaf fans surrounded them screaming "**** the bruins!" and shoving occurred. Security came outta no where pretty quick and broke it up though, was still hilarious to see :laugh:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
We bumped into 2 guys that were wearing the old school orange Bruins jerseys down there, and they were having the time of their lives - they were having a few beers brought to them by other Leafs fans, and were getting high fives and stuff.

I admit I didn't see any animosity or nastiness between Bruins and Leafs fans.

TheDream

May 3, 2011
Ontario
Anyone have any restaurants to watch the game near maple leafs square? Planning to go back down Saturday but to watch first 2 periods at a bar or something and head down to the square for the third. Any recommendations are appreciated! Thanks

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
There was a couple Boston fans acting obnoxious that almost got pretty ugly. 8-10 Leaf fans surrounded them screaming "**** the bruins!" and shoving occurred. Security came outta no where pretty quick and broke it up though, was still hilarious to see :laugh:

Almost getting into a fight in the middle of a security packed place, because you cheer for different teams is probably the stupidest thing possible

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
CP24 interviewing fans was pretty dumb. Not sure if anyone caught it, but Jeffler (he's a member) was on there and the kid next to him was this place sometimes after a loss.

'Bozak is bad, Carlyle is bad, Nonis is bad'.

Thinking about heading there Saturday, but if it's filled with fans like that ^, then I'd reconsider :laugh:

Leafsvideos

Oct 16, 2010
They also had beer girls from real sports that would walk around the crowd and see if people needed beer or food. It was pretty great to be honest. Scotiabank had people out with tablets taking information down for a contest to win a jersey and luckily, I won! A free Kessel Jersey!

Like the above poster said, the first 10 minutes were amazing, but when the game started to side with the bruins, the happiness started going down hill, would have been completely different place if they had stayed in the game.

I had a great time, great atmosphere.

And yes, people starting fights based on the team they cheer for is stupid. Let's not be those fans.

re5piration

'67 til
Dec 29, 2008
Toronto
Anyone see the drunk guy carrying the pump up Stanley Cup?:laugh:

Place was great until the third when the Debbie Downers were out in full force. As expected though, but I was simply just happy to see the Leafs play their first playoff game in almost a decade.

Kibago

Aug 15, 2010
it was fun, great enthusiasm, probably 80% of the people were dressed for it in jerseys or other team stuff. i didn't bother getting through the barricade into the big chunk of people, you can have a great view just standing between 25 York and the condo building and that way you can just slip over to Union if you get hungry or need a bathroom.

the security was out in decent force, i'd be surprised to see any real fights - you will hear "**** the bruins, **** seguin, etc." i only saw a few people bring young kids.

and not to sound like a pig, but...the women were fantastic. definitely not what i associate with actual ACC Leafs crowds. (i witnessed a couple catcalls, but generally people were fine.)

Kibago

Aug 15, 2010
Place was great until the third when the Debbie Downers were out in full force. As expected though, but I was simply just happy to see the Leafs play their first playoff game in almost a decade.

the Reimer haters made me sad. good way to tell who didn't watch the regular season!

LeafsFIO*

Friend of mine was down there and apparently the anthem was amazing. Leafs and Bruins fans arm-in-arm where he was, singing along to both anthems. That's what hockey's all about.

And then today in Ottawa, fight breaks out in the street between a Sens and Habs fan, and a guy I know has "PK IS A N*****" yelled at him for wearing a Patrick Roy jersey. Yet somehow people say Toronto and Boston fans are bad...

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
Almost getting into a fight in the middle of a security packed place, because you cheer for different teams is probably the stupidest thing possible
yeah wearing a Bruins jersey going to a Leafs tailgate party isn't stupid at all

just saying, if this was football aka soccer, you'd get your ass kicked
guaranteed

LadyLeaf

Apr 14, 2013
Toronto
The tailgate party was so much fun! The place was packed and the atmosphere was amazing! They opened one set of washrooms in the acc and they had a bunch of potter potties set up as well with hand washing stations. They did sell beer, but they were $9 for a tallboy can (!!). Pizza slices were $5 each, and they sold other food too. If you want a good spot or plan on buying beer, make sure you get there early as there is limited space in the alcohol service area. Hundreds of people couldn't get in were forced to watch further back outside the barricade. I plan on going again on Monday.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006

I was right there when that happened. Earlier, they were making a little scene getting loud and overreacting to certain things. They walked past a bunch of Leaf fans acting like they were bullet proof or something. Then got all shocked when somebody pushed them. I mean, I wouldn't be stupid enough to be doing that in Boston at something similar that's for sure.

Anyway, aside from that dumb moment it was a great experience. They have done a nice job turning Maple Leafs square into a Leafs hub. It feels very cozy.

Ace88*

Thats what i hate about these big kind of corporately sponsored events, $9 for a tallboy is idiotic--it gets bad though cos after 2 or 3 i stop caring about the price lol. it was like that at Veld last summer too. Id just bring a mickey and a couple cans from the lcbo

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
Thats what i hate about these big kind of corporately sponsored events, $9 for a tallboy is idiotic--it gets bad though cos after 2 or 3 i stop caring about the price lol. it was like that at Veld last summer too. Id just bring a mickey and a couple cans from the lcbo

figure out what beer they are selling. buy some...put in the hood of yur hoody hood...even if patted down...they never check there.

that's what i do during early season jays games and OHL games and winter concerts.

LadyLeaf

Apr 14, 2013
Toronto
How early would you think you'd have to arrive to get into the beer service area?

I got there at 5:30. While there was a long lineup and tons of people showed up before me, I had no problems getting in. I'm not sure if it would be busier on a Saturday night though.

figure out what beer they are selling. buy some...put in the hood of yur hoody hood...even if patted down...they never check there.

that's what i do during early season jays games and OHL games and winter concerts.

For the record, they sell Canadian and Coors Light Tallboys. ;) ...and they only patted down random people and just checked bags for everyone else.

Oh, and if you guys decide to use the potter potties...for the love of god please lock them! I opened the door on some guy who was taking a leak :X

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad