GDT: Return to Play thread (Discuss Capitals games, lineups, who you want in round 2)

Who would you rather play?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Oshie has been featured in a lot of recent marketing materials about the comeback. I’d be shocked if they put him in that stuff if he was even on the fence.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Pilon & Lewington also included. IINM they'll need to make two cuts before moving to the final phase.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
No real regular spots open you'd think but Malenstyn as first winger up seems very possible.

Protas probably would have been an overly ambitious option at this stage but the experience would have been good (even if just for a few weeks). My guess is the two cuts will be Maillet & Gersich. With so much up in the air next season, along with his WHL resume, I wonder if Protas doesn't try his hand at KHL action next season (or elsewhere in Europe with their permission). It might be best for him physically barring some sort of CHL-AHL rule change.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
This cup is going to be about who can hold the mental game the best.
In hubs, away from family potentially, locked down... never before has such opportunity existed to win the cup by being the best mentally prepared.

We have seen wild swings in performance levels in the aussie rules this season which now has all teams in hubs around the country. all 10 clubs from Victoria have had to move north because of the border shutdowns etc...
Its an opportunity. The performance of the coaching staff and the leadership of a dressing room will be easy to spot by its translation to on ice.

Will be interesting.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The round robin games are going to look like preseason anyway
But the results could be the difference between facing, say, Pittsburgh or Toronto (or a lower seed 'upset'). It may be sloppy and be tough on coaches but the intensity ought to be there regardless. Each team will play one exhibition game right before the restart and you'd think teams would scrimmage internally pretty routinely and feature a lot of special teams action.

Also read that each team gets 30 skaters so no cuts needed.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But the results could be the difference between facing, say, Pittsburgh or Toronto (or a lower seed 'upset'). It may be sloppy and be tough on coaches but the intensity ought to be there regardless. Each team will play one exhibition game right before the restart and you'd think teams would scrimmage internally pretty routinely and feature a lot of special teams action.

Also read that each team gets 30 skaters so no cuts needed.

I expect both goalies to get starts and all the primary spares to play.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
There's going to be a heavy reliance on raw talent early. That favors teams like Washington and Pittsburgh.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I expect both goalies to get starts and all the primary spares to play.
Primary spares like the very first couple of depth options maybe but that's about it and maybe not even that. Whether Samsonov plays may depend on Holtby's initial outing and what's on the line in the third game. If Holtby rolls off the bat then they're just going to keep with the hot hand I'd wager. The staff will be so concerned about fine-tuning to worry about injuries, playing too much or getting everyone involved. The opportunity for depth types will be in camp and during practices keeping the intensity up battling regulars.

The seeding games will be statement games of a sort given the opponents and also easier games to get up for. Those are three really good teams. They'll be sloppy as hell and I'd recommend the over but it's going to be an all-in, all-out mentality starting tomorrow.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
There's going to be a heavy reliance on raw talent early. That favors teams like Washington and Pittsburgh.
Probably Tampa as well as long as their heads are right and Toronto. Colorado, Vegas and Edmonton in the West. It'll turn but hard to say how quickly.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Not sure how much 7pm starts matter for this tournament.

I think players having experience in international and Olympics will have an advantage in the style of play

Jun 15, 2007
So are there exhibition games on top of the round robin or not?

Jun 15, 2007
Is there any actual data the team plays worse in their non 7pm starts? Or is just something fans like to complain about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad