GDT: Return to Play thread (Discuss Capitals games, lineups, who you want in round 2)

Who would you rather play?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Is there any actual data the team plays worse in their non 7pm starts? Or is just something fans like to complain about?

The guys on the Caps Podcast mentioned last week that the caps were .500 on non 7pm starts. I have not seen an actual stat, but if that's true with their record over the last couple seasons, it points to a much better percentage for 7pm starts. May has also stated this team does better when they "have their routine."

Jun 15, 2007
The guys on the Caps Podcast mentioned last week that the caps were .500 on non 7pm starts. I have not seen an actual stat, but if that's true with their record over the last couple seasons, it points to a much better percentage for 7pm starts. May has also stated this team does better when they "have their routine."
Interesting, but I wonder how much of that is because those long road trips to the west coast are non 7pm starts. Road games are going to be tougher to begin with.

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Interesting, but I wonder how much of that is because those long road trips to the west coast are non 7pm starts. Road games are going to be tougher to begin with.

Possibly. They seemed to think (on the podcast) that the west coast games actually pushed the numbers the other way since they started at 7pm locally, and the daily routine would be the same. I don't know, I'm sure some of it is me psychologically remembering bad afternoon games vs Pitt/Phili/NYR more than bad Tuesday night games vs Arz.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
If they sign OV before the expansion draft it's a mistake. He is obviously a Cap for life and can have whatever money he wants. It's not worth losing a better player over.
Exclusive negotiating rights with Ovy is more valuable than 1 year of Kempny or 2 of Panik

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Can't re-sign him now. Gotta leave him unprotected next offseason so we can protect someone else.

So basically you are saying dont sign ovie so we can protect a richard panik or Carl hagelin? Plus that would leave like 5 days from the expansion draft to when Ovechkin can sign with any team

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
F that, resign your franchise player. Not worth the tiny risk.

So basically you are saying dont sign ovie so we can protect a richard panik or Carl hagelin? Plus that would leave like 5 days from the expansion draft to when Ovechkin can sign with any team

I guess I shouldn't have deleted my *wink wink agreement part at the end of the post

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
I guess I shouldn't have deleted my *wink wink agreement part at the end of the post

If both parties are up for that, sure. But I doubt Ovie would want that. What if an injury came along late next season? Not worth the risk for him

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Caps playoff media guide. Looks like they've actually added to the scouting staff--and a Finn at that (!)--in Matti Lamberg. I'd forgotten about the developmental Jim Slater hire.

Also kind of shocked Kuznetsov ranks fifth in playoff goals in franchise history. Seven more and he passes Bondra for third.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
No access to ice? Um, lets hope thats just, um... Sprong, and no one else.

I can't see anyone going from not skating for 3 months to the NHL playoffs being, well, a thing at all.

Reirden made it sound like numerous guys were quarantined and couldn't go to ice

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Couple key things I will be looking for 1) Jensen. Does he pick up where he left off? My memory might not be completely accurate, but he seemed to have had 10-15 games of solid play going into the pause. 2) kempny. Does the rest help him get fully recovered and back into shape? The D can be really deep/solid if those two are playing to their potential.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Leaving Ovechkin unsigned allows them to opt for the protect 8 total skaters route, rather than 7F & 3D. With an unsiged Ovie, there's only really four forwards worth protecting (Vrana, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Wilson), leaving them the ability to protect four defensemen. Obviously how the D shakes out over the next 11-13 months (or however long it ends up being before the expansion draft) will figure heavily into these calculations (Does Dillon Stay? Does Kempny Rebound? Does Jensen seize the 2RD role?). This also assumes the team is fine with moving on from Oshie (who will be 34 and presents hometown appeal to Seattle).

I'm not particularly scared about Ovechkin signing with a different team. And it wouldn't be the first time the Capitals opted for leaving a player unsigned to grant de facto protection from the expansion draft (they did it with Oshie).

Jun 15, 2007
I wouldn't even protect Oshie, Panik and Hagelin if the NHL gave us free protection slots.

Unless we acquire a good forward via trade or UFA, 8 skaters is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad