GDT: Return to Play thread (Discuss Capitals games, lineups, who you want in round 2)

Who would you rather play?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I wouldn't even protect Oshie, Panik and Hagelin if the NHL gave us free protection slots.

Unless we acquire a good forward via trade or UFA, 8 skaters is the way to go.

Eller is honestly the one to give me the most pause about exposing. But if the player you’re most worried about losing is your 3C who’s north of 30, you’re in a relatively good spot for the expansion draft.

Reactions: um and Silky mitts

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
I wouldn't even protect Oshie, Panik and Hagelin if the NHL gave us free protection slots.

Assuming Ovechkin is signed, Ovi, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Vrana, Wilson, Carlson, Orlov, and Kempny/Jensen (or both/one of them and Eller if Ovi is unsigned)?

Unless I'm missing some of the young D that we don't want exposed, it seems like it would be more beneficial to add a few forwards and leave Kempny/Jensen exposed (unless as one poster mentioned, Kempny really rebounds or Jensen really steps up). I guess if Dillon is resigned those calculations could change.

Regardless, the Caps seem like they're in much less of a tough spot this go-round compared to the Vegas draft.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

19, 43, 92, and 13 are must protects so this presumes they expose Ovy

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Wouldn't mind Dillon back at all - just not sure what a realistic number is for him.

Gonna say his playoff performance will determine a good bit of that. His brief stint post lockdown here in DC didn't suggest he was worth big (Orpik) money, but he does fill a role that we are lacking on back on the blueline.

Reactions: txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am pretty sure that Dillon is a post playoffs decision. He can earn it or burn it. He won a lot of points for punching Malkin but I am not sure his play has been what the team needs. Of course its a lot to expect of a new guy to fit right in.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I’m really looking forward to see what Dillon can bring to the table after second training camp with the caps

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
It would be tough to get a full determination on Dillon in his short timeframe as a Capital. Everyone wanted to punt Jensen into the sun and he turned it around before COVID happened.

IIRC, we’ve seen a few players say that the system isn’t easy to adjust to and takes time. Hopefully the extra training camp lets Dillon get more comfortable

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Dillon is the player Siege maybe becomes one day. In the future. Maybe. Keeping both is problematic and even unnecessary I guess. The upgrade will not cost that much per year. If he doesnt crap the bed in playoffs (which is hard to judge in these circumstances) he can stay all he wants. Cap being lower and stagnant should make salaries less for certain types of players. Dillon, imho, is exactly that type of player. Contemporary defender.

There could be hope that Siege becomes better but time is up for Ovi.

Jun 15, 2007
Eller left quarantine for the birth of his child.

I wonder why he even bothered entering it if his child was due soon.

We also won't have Hagelin if we make a deep run since his child is due in September.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Eller left quarantine for the birth of his child.
I wonder why he even bothered entering it if his child was due soon.

I know its 2020 and all but babies still often come when they want and arrive earlier than the plan. I dont know anything about Eller's situation, but maybe the baby messed with the calender

Reactions: 895

Jun 15, 2007
Question is what happens when he does? Who plays 3rd line C?

Hagelin is more replaceable, IMHO.

Probably Dowd and Boyd as 3/4.

McMichael earning that spot would be something though.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Is the deal still that McMichael can only play in 9 games before he loses a year on his ELC? Or do playoff games count differently?
Playoff games still count so you'd think he'd have to kill it to stick. Would certainly be interesting if he managed to sub in for Eller temporarily anyway.

Reactions: hb12xchamps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad