GDT: Retro Trash? Islanders @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Y’all acting like Severson is some bum is wild. Him and Vats has been pretty together and yesterday was just bad. The narrative on Severson makes it sound like he’s some bottom pair journeyman when he’s honestly been good.

Some might be doing that, but I'm coming from the line of thinking that Severson would provide the biggest return in a deal of one of our 3 current right-handed defensemen. This is all based on Vatanen willing to return and sign an extension of course.

If Vatanen's intent is to test the market, then you trade him before the deadline and don't consider moving Severson at that point.

For all of Severson's talent and strengths, his mental lapses can come at the most inopportune times. It's been the case for a few years now. I still really like the kid and want to see him succeed here, but if we're looking at the big picture here, selling high on him with Vatanen returning wouldn't be the worst move in the world.

We'll see how it ends up playing out soon enough.

Reactions: Ol Dirty Bstrd

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Severson has one less even strength point than Vatanen. The scoring difference between them is almost entirely due to Vatanen's spot on the power play.

But let's keep pretending that Vatanen is great and Severson is terrible.

Severson has been playing on the PP for weeks now. Is it Vatanen’s fault that Damon gets no points on it and Vatanen actually generates something with the time he is given?

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
well yeah the discussion here does tend to focus on the last game or last play. On the other hand, Sevs mental mistakes have been a consistent problem with him really from the start. You could put together a highlight reel of similar plays to what happened last night. They are an issue. But he's quite a talented player only how I wish he could just eliminate the fumbles. Not a bad comparison there: a really talented player in football but prone to big errors, fumbles if he's back, interceptions if he's a QB, dropped passes if he's a receiver, blown coverage if he's a DB. What do you do with problems like that? They become part of the player's profile in a way.

I honestly think Severson just has really low iq...and is prone to mental f*** ups. As long as he just makes the simple plays, he should be fine..but he doesn't.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Severson has been playing on the PP for weeks now. Is it Vatanen’s fault that Damon gets no points on it and Vatanen actually generates something with the time he is given?

"Weeks" :rolleyes:

Four games before this one, and two of those with substantially less time than Vatanen. I mean, some people might say that being the #1 QB on the 29th ranked powerplay actually means that Vantanen isn't generating that much at all. :dunno:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Four games before this one, and two of those with substantially less time than Vatanen. I mean, some people might say that being the #1 QB on the 29th ranked powerplay actually means that Vantanen isn't generating that much at all. :dunno:
Just curious... how many goals has our PP2 scored? Is it the lowest of any PP2 in the league? Could that be part of what's pulling down our PP that much?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Just curious... how many goals has our PP2 scored? Is it the lowest of any PP2 in the league? Could that be part of what's pulling down our PP that much?

Not sure if there are stats for that. I doubt it would have a big impact though, as the top PP unit usually gets close to 90 seconds. The PP2 unit gets scraps and is mostly out there to make sure you don't have a tired PP1 unit on the ice when the man comes out of the box.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Devils PP2 has 0 or 1 goals so far this year. It's having a big impact.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
well yeah the discussion here does tend to focus on the last game or last play. On the other hand, Sevs mental mistakes have been a consistent problem with him really from the start. You could put together a highlight reel of similar plays to what happened last night. They are an issue. But he's quite a talented player only how I wish he could just eliminate the fumbles. Not a bad comparison there: a really talented player in football but prone to big errors, fumbles if he's back, interceptions if he's a QB, dropped passes if he's a receiver, blown coverage if he's a DB. What do you do with problems like that? They become part of the player's profile in a way.

Tony Romo... Ugh.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Severson has one less even strength point than Vatanen. The scoring difference between them is almost entirely due to Vatanen's spot on the power play.

But let's keep pretending that Vatanen is great and Severson is terrible.

Absolutely zero imagination necessary for that one.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Y’all acting like Severson is some bum is wild. Him and Vats has been pretty together and yesterday was just bad. The narrative on Severson makes it sound like he’s some bottom pair journeyman when he’s honestly been good.

Come ON. Lobbing it up the center of the ice last week. Shooting it into his own goal. Missing the hip check. Stealing it from Blackwood who was freezing it and then putting it on Eberle's stick last night. Deflecting it past his own goaltender.

The deflection is almost the worst one. They tell you in midget hockey if you don't have a legit shot at coralling the puck, do NOT try to use your stick to knock it down in front of the net. It was an absurdly terrible play by a beer league hockey player.

I simply don't know how everyone can continually give this guy a free pass game after game after game. I think we must have catalogued 100+ games where he's made ridiculously stupid plays.

This guy is worse than Jake Gardiner, Michael Del Zotto, Jon Moore et al. His offense in no way shape or form balances out his terrible giveaways, terrible passes, terrible coverage in his own zone, terrible decision making and terrible terrible terrible terrible boneheaded mistakes.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Come ON. Lobbing it up the center of the ice last week. Shooting it into his own goal. Missing the hip check. Stealing it from Blackwood who was freezing it and then putting it on Eberle's stick last night. Deflecting it past his own goaltender.

The deflection is almost the worst one. They tell you in midget hockey if you don't have a legit shot at coralling the puck, do NOT try to use your stick to knock it down in front of the net. It was an absurdly terrible play by a beer league hockey player.

I simply don't know how everyone can continually give this guy a free pass game after game after game. I think we must have catalogued 100+ games where he's made ridiculously stupid plays.

This guy is worse than Jake Gardiner, Michael Del Zotto, Jon Moore et al. His offense in no way shape or form balances out his terrible giveaways, terrible passes, terrible coverage in his own zone, terrible decision making and terrible terrible terrible terrible boneheaded mistakes.

I feel like I'm being gaslit reading positive reviews of Severson. He is so obviously bad at being a defenseman lol

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Tony Romo... Ugh.

LOL maybe to an extent but Romo busted his ass to go from undrafted nobody out of a small college to All-Pro QB in the NFL. Severson's got all the talent in the world but does zip, zilch and nothing with it. Give me a Romo anyday over a Severson.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario

He has 64 minutes in PP time this year. 3rd on the team behind Subban's 94 minutes and Vatanen's 114. That is definitely more than 5 games worth. Severson has 2 PP points in that time, Subban has an even worse 1 PP point. Vatanen has 10.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
He has 64 minutes in PP time this year. 3rd on the team behind Subban's 94 minutes and Vatanen's 114. That is definitely more than 5 games worth. Severson has 2 PP points in that time, Subban has an even worse 1 PP point. Vatanen has 10.

Okay, I should have been more clear. Severson has been on PP1 for 4 games, before that he was on PP2 off and on, that's why he averaged barely a minute a game. PP2 doesn't start with a faceoff in the offensive zone, they usually change out PP1 with around 30-45 second left in the power play and have to execute a zone entry to get any chance at all, it's much harder to put up points.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
The defense of Severson is absurdly comical. I remember when posters bitched about Marek Zidlicky’s defensive foibles regularly, and there was a relatively decent sized contingent of folks who felt he didn’t bring enough offense to offset his defensive weaknesses.

Severson is half as productive, while being twice as much of a defensive liability as Zidlicky was, yet here we are with people defending Sevs like he’s just some victim of poor puck luck that has gone on for half a decade or something.

He’s a low IQ dunderhead. Basically the equivalent of Miles Wood, except more careless in his own end. Most losses and goals against are the result of a team breakdown, but Damon is the kind of player that can (and frequently does) cause negative results all on his own without help from anyone else.

Reactions: Bosskarelli

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The defense of Severson is absurdly comical. I remember when posters *****ed about Marek Zidlicky’s defensive foibles regularly, and there was a relatively decent sized contingent of folks who felt he didn’t bring enough offense to offset his defensive weaknesses.

Severson is half as productive, while being twice as much of a defensive liability as Zidlicky was, yet here we are with people defending Sevs like he’s just some victim of poor puck luck that has gone on for half a decade or something.

He’s a low IQ dunderhead. Basically the equivalent of Miles Wood, except more careless in his own end. Most losses and goals against are the result of a team breakdown, but Damon is the kind of player that can (and frequently does) cause negative results all on his own without help from anyone else.

I mean, that's just utterly false. Severson has scored 145 points in 403 games with the Devils, a rate of 0.36 points per game, or 29 points per 82 games. Less than a third of his points are power play points. Zidlicky scored 92 points in 214 games for us, a rate of 35 points per year, but more than half of that was on the power play. Severson has been MORE productive for us than Zidlicky was at even strength. So make up whatever narrative you want. Rake him over the coals for his mistakes while you ignore Sami's and everyone else's. Nas is not fooled and that's why Severson consistently sees MORE ice time than Vatanen, particularly at even strength and short handed. Vatanen gets more power play time because of his spot on PP1, which is where he gets his extra point production.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I mean, that's just utterly false. Severson has scored 145 points in 403 games with the Devils, a rate of 0.36 points per game, or 29 points per 82 games. Less than a third of his points are power play points. Zidlicky scored 92 points in 214 games for us, a rate of 35 points per year, but more than half of that was on the power play. Severson has been MORE productive for us than Zidlicky was at even strength. So make up whatever narrative you want. Rake him over the coals for his mistakes while you ignore Sami's and everyone else's. Nas is not fooled and that's why Severson consistently sees MORE ice time than Vatanen, particularly at even strength and short handed. Vatanen gets more power play time because of his spot on PP1, which is where he gets his extra point production.
Don’t bother using facts, no one cares when it comes to Severson. Particularly after he has a bad game. If he has a stretch of 20 good games, no one says anything. If he has a few bad games, he’s worthless and it’s time for him to get traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad