GDT: Retro Trash? Islanders @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
With a different head coach in place and the team overall playing better, the players who consistently play braindead and irresponsible are sticking out more. Severson continues to make mistakes that lead directly to goals. Consistently. It never ends. He single handedly loses games for this team. It's actually kind of amazing. He needs to go the **** away. Seriously. I have no idea how anyone cannot see it. There's nothing he does well enough to justify the risk taking and complete lack of IQ in the defensive end.

Zacha also continues to make irresponsible puck management decisions on the regular.

Those are the two that have been most obvious to me.

Zacha is annoying, but there are more detrimental players on the roster right now.

I'll start with Will Butcher who brings nothing.

Mirco Mueller thinks he's Bobby Orr on offense but is more like Dion Phaneuf.

John Hayden, who is allergic to NHL hockey.

And as much as I like him, Wayne Simmonds has done exactly two things over the last 15 games or so.

As far as Severson is concerned, he needs a vet coach to rehabilitate his IQ. Passes in front of the net every night are killing the team. That coach should bench him if he does it once during a game and scratch him if he does it twice. After next year, if he hasnt improved, I'd like to see him traded

Shero has a lot of work to do on the back end this summer.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Also what the f*** was Gusev doing on the OT goal, going for a line change when they were already outnumbered in the neutral zone without control of the puck?
Too many players on this roster that have the hockey IQ of a f***in spoon.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Zacha is annoying, but there are more detrimental players on the roster right now.

And as much as I like him, Wayne Simmonds has done exactly two things over the last 15 games or so.

As far as Severson is concerned, he needs a vet coach to rehabilitate his IQ. Passes in front of the net every night are killing the team. That coach should bench him if he does it once during a game and scratch him if he does it twice. After next year, if he hasnt improved, I'd like to see him traded

Yea those guys aren't bringing much to the table. But their presence can be offset to some degree when the team as a whole plays well and the top guys do their part.
Someone like Severson costs this team wins regardless of how well everyone else plays, because his errors are incredibly stupid and catastrophic - AND he does nothing well enough to make up for it.

Reactions: NJ07102 and REM17

REM17

Jul 21, 2010
Switzerland
Severson was such a promising prospect. He is very much the Zacha of defenseman.

This brainfart is much worse than Zacha! Zacha at least knows how to play defense!
Maybe they should try them with switching positions? Zacha as defenseman and brainfart as winger.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Congratulations to the Islander fans for surpassing Flyer fans as the second worst fanbase who visits the Rock. Never thought I’d see that happen...

NY SCUM TONIGHT, all over the place.
Yeah, they're coming out of the woodwork with more frequency. I take solace in the fact that they don't have the talent to truly compete

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Severson is just so polarizing. He'll play a really solid stretch of very good hockey and then a two week stretch of just wtf are you doing moments.

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
I think we were fortunate to get a point out of last night. the first 2 periods were not good and it looked like Trotz did a little film study and adjusted from our last game. Colemans line , Nico and Blacky saved our bacon. Most of the rest didnt look to have thier legs at all. Flu maybe?

I am one of the biggest Zacha defenders out there, and I still believe in the kid, But that was a terrible game from him, maybe the worst all year. After the bad turnover on that first shift, he shelled up and didnt attack the o zone at all or even want to handle the puck it seemed. These are the types of games that he needs to eliminate. Mistakes happen. It was a good read by the isles forchecker, it happens. youve got to bounce back. He did have a couple pretty good 3 on 3 shifts at the end, at least
It games like these I wonder what the coaches are saying to him, or are they saying anything at all?

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I think we were fortunate to get a point out of last night. the first 2 periods were not good and it looked like Trotz did a little film study and adjusted from our last game. Colemans line , Nico and Blacky saved our bacon. Most of the rest didnt look to have thier legs at all. Flu maybe?

I am one of the biggest Zacha defenders out there, and I still believe in the kid, But that was a terrible game from him, maybe the worst all year. After the bad turnover on that first shift, he shelled up and didnt attack the o zone at all or even want to handle the puck it seemed. These are the types of games that he needs to eliminate. Mistakes happen. It was a good read by the isles forchecker, it happens. youve got to bounce back. He did have a couple pretty good 3 on 3 shifts at the end, at least
It games like these I wonder what the coaches are saying to him, or are they saying anything at all?
They definitely did look sluggish, maybe you are right on the flu. No Bratt and Jack again didn’t help as well.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I will say, I did enjoy giving it back to the Isles fans with their own Yes chant after Palms' goal. I wish that feeling got to last longer than about a minute or two. :laugh:

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Severson’s mistakes are going to be more numerous and noticeable as long as he is playing his off side.

I heard someone say that they asked Severson about playing on his offside and he wanted to do it because he feels it’s better for his offense. That’s a perfect answer for him. All offense, not a care in the world about playing defense. This from the offensive defenseman on pace for 25 total points this year. I guess it could be 50 points if you count his goals and assists for the other team.

Reactions: NJDevs26

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
- Severson just having a horrible year. Another own goal, and what the hell is he doing on the Islanders 2nd goal, giving the puck away in that spot.

-Wtf is Gusev doing in Overtime. Been on the ice for a while, instead of playing safe he tries to toe drag thru Barzals legs in the neutral zone. Fails, and THEN goes for a change? Just completely idiotic.

- Can't remember the players but there totally should have been a penalty on the Isles in OT. Save by Blackwood, about to be a 2 on 1 for the Devils, and Eberle? is holding a Devils stick, preventing him from joining the rush for the 2 on 1. They eventually both fell and lost their sticks

- Nico Hischier looks amazing, he just keeps getting better and better.

- Blackwood is a warrior. He's had some really good games this season. Good rebound control. Still a long way to go, but its looking we may have found our starting goalie to build around

Reactions: My3Sons

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I heard someone say that they asked Severson about playing on his offside and he wanted to do it because he feels it’s better for his offense. That’s a perfect answer for him. All offense, not a care in the world about playing defense. This from the offensive defenseman on pace for 25 total points this year. I guess it could be 50 points if you count his goals and assists for the other team.

Severson has one less even strength point than Vatanen. The scoring difference between them is almost entirely due to Vatanen's spot on the power play.

But let's keep pretending that Vatanen is great and Severson is terrible.

Camille the Eel

Boqvist is looking more and more like Jacob Josefson type prospect lately .
I hope he proves me wrong
Nah. Boqvist is aggressively putting himself in positions alone on the goalie, one on one. JaJo never did that. Josefson was the master of the shank. Give him a perfect set up and he'd somehow flub it. He never generated chances for himself. I like Boqvist's aggression and hockey smarts, also during extended shifts, the way he finds open areas where others can feed him the puck, his movement in relation to the teammates and timing in hitting those areas, as well as his willingness to go into dirty scrums in front of the net, and his toughness in the corners too. He's pretty strong. Give him some time. He's not had a lot of playing time at all and he's just a kid. He doesn't look that different from the Rangers highly touted # 1, Cacca or whatever he's called.

Camille the Eel

Mueller was annoyingly slow in responding to situations, but at least last night he didn't turn over the puck by moving it thoughtlessly. Given a pressure by the opposition, his instinct is to freeze. Instead of throwing it in front of his own goal or helplessly shoving it a few feet for a turn over. Freezing is far from the worse response if he can hang in there an continue to battle.

But yeah, he is what he is. Adam Larsen lefty and light, so light he's non alcoholic.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Y’all acting like Severson is some bum is wild. Him and Vats has been pretty together and yesterday was just bad. The narrative on Severson makes it sound like he’s some bottom pair journeyman when he’s honestly been good.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Camille the Eel

Y’all acting like Severson is some bum is wild. Him and Vats has been pretty together and yesterday was just bad. The narrative on Severson makes it sound like he’s some bottom pair journeyman when he’s honestly been good.
well yeah the discussion here does tend to focus on the last game or last play. On the other hand, Sevs mental mistakes have been a consistent problem with him really from the start. You could put together a highlight reel of similar plays to what happened last night. They are an issue. But he's quite a talented player only how I wish he could just eliminate the fumbles. Not a bad comparison there: a really talented player in football but prone to big errors, fumbles if he's back, interceptions if he's a QB, dropped passes if he's a receiver, blown coverage if he's a DB. What do you do with problems like that? They become part of the player's profile in a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00