Retribution vs the Penguins

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
caught the rookie lookin the other way. ya make that hit every time.

Ummm if Couts had the puck, or if it was in like a 8 foot raduis maybe, but Neal left his feet also, he wouldn't be getting labeled as a dirtbag if he actually answered the bell for what he did, but he'll choose to play "Pens Hockey" and keep head hunting and avoid any consequences, or answering to the likes of Hartsy, Simmer, or Rinaldo or Sesitto, I would love to have the Flyers go undefeated against Pitt this year and play a very very physical game everytime out

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyersfan139

May 15, 2010
Exton, PA
Hey guys. Fan now that Schenner is with you.

Why you guys so worried about payback? For what? Maybe focus on how to beat teams like NJ? It's 2013 and it's a new year. Retaliating, and possibly suspension in a shortened season is stupid.

When the handshakes are done, it's time to move on.

Where is the fun in that? Part of what makes hockey great is the grudges and rivalries between teams. I hope Neal gets his ass kicked on Saturday.

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
So, what I'm hearing here is that you guys would be fine with Glass, Cooke, or any other Penguin getting ready for this game like you guys are hoping for if the scenario was reversed. You would have NO issue with Pens fans hoping their players blow Giroux, Briere, Voracek or any other Flyer up if the situation was reversed, right?

Fact is this happens on EVERY team, including yours.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So, what I'm hearing here is that you guys would be fine with Glass, Cooke, or any other Penguin getting ready for this game like you guys are hoping for if the scenario was reversed. You would have NO issue with Pens fans hoping their players blow Giroux, Briere, Voracek or any other Flyer up if the situation was reversed, right?

Voracek, Briere, and Giroux weren't handing out dangerous cheap shots like Neal and Malkin were.

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
If any of Cooter/Schenn/Giroux/et al did half of what Malin/Neal did in last year's playoff series I would expect the Penguins' faithful to be wishing their harm (and be mildly concerned that the team was as well) - much as we are now.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009

If you want to play on the edge then you need to be ready to drop the gloves. Very few Pens players do that though. I can only recall Matt Cooke dropping the gloves for a cheapshot. And that happened only once.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Perhaps not in the penguin series, but the Giroux on Zidlicky hit was vicious. Probably worse than any other dirty hit in the entire playoffs.

Do you mean Zubrus? That wasn't nearly as bad as Neal on Couturier.

Edit: Also of note, almost everyone here wasn't happy with Giroux for doing that.

Last edited:

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The Penguins were the dirtiest team in the league last season. They proved it against us in the playoffs. All I've heard about from Pens fans for years is how the Flyers are such a dirty team, how they'd be ashamed to be fans of the Flyers, and how the Flyers are goons etc etc. So now that the Penguins are doing it, the fans are (not surprisingly) still fans of their team and can't admit what the players did was wrong.

I would love for some of the Pens fans that are coming in here to admit that what their players did in the playoffs was wrong before they start talking smack about how dirty the Flyers are and how the fans all just have a "thirst for blood."

FWIW, I know that the Flyers typically have one of the "dirtier" teams in the league as that's part of their identity and it will be forever. That doesn't mean they are the bullies anymore because there's a big difference. Anyways, all that stuff is part of hockey and so is payback. If you're going to take cheapshots like the Pens did, then they should expect to get some payback. I'd rather see it through clean hits, fights, and some good scrums though and not dirty hits.

Any Pens fans willing to admit this?

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Do you mean Zubrus? That wasn't nearly as bad as Neal on Couturier.

Yeah Zubrus, my bad.

Just went and re-watched the two hits, both were dirty as hell, and yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you about Neal's hit being worse.

Both teams had some dirty plays throughout the playoffs ( Neal, Malkin, Giroux)

As a penguins fan I get a laugh at how both fan bases are always bickering about how dirty Malkin and Neal are or how dirty Giroux is. There are alot of hypocrites around here to say the least.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Pen's fan here. I'm not sure how one quantifies "dirtiest team in the league last season" so I can't really speak to that. I will say though that I was embarrassed by many of the Penguins' reactions to getting outplayed in that series. Asham's cheapshot, Letang's hush mocking the crowd (he really made an idiot of himself), Crosby pushing the glove thing. They are really competitive guys and I think their composure got the best of themselves. As far as retribution, I don't really get the talk here about returning a perceived or real cheapshot with another cheapshot. Hit Neal as often and as hard as you want, challenge him to a fight (one he will likely decline against one of your tougher fighters so would Giroux or any other star player). Just my 2 cents.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
The Penguins were the dirtiest team in the league last season. They proved it against us in the playoffs. All I've heard about from Pens fans for years is how the Flyers are such a dirty team, how they'd be ashamed to be fans of the Flyers, and how the Flyers are goons etc etc. So now that the Penguins are doing it, the fans are (not surprisingly) still fans of their team and can't admit what the players did was wrong.

I would love for some of the Pens fans that are coming in here to admit that what their players did in the playoffs was wrong before they start talking smack about how dirty the Flyers are and how the fans all just have a "thirst for blood."

FWIW, I know that the Flyers typically have one of the "dirtier" teams in the league as that's part of their identity and it will be forever. That doesn't mean they are the bullies anymore because there's a big difference. Anyways, all that stuff is part of hockey and so is payback. If you're going to take cheapshots like the Pens did, then they should expect to get some payback. I'd rather see it through clean hits, fights, and some good scrums though and not dirty hits.

Any Pens fans willing to admit this?

What Malkin and Neal did was wrong.

What Giroux did was wrong.

No dirty hits are right, I doubt anyone would say they were.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah Zubrus, my bad.

Just went and re-watched the two hits, both were dirty as hell, and yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you about Neal's hit being worse.

Both teams had some dirty plays throughout the playoffs ( Neal, Malkin, Giroux)

As a penguins fan I get a laugh at how both fan bases are always bickering about how dirty Malkin and Neal are or how dirty Giroux is. There are alot of hypocrites around here to say the least.

The colored glasses come with fandom and they're complimentary.

Edit: In relation to the above post, I thought Crosby pushing the glove was pretty funny. That's a Prongeresque move.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
Pen's fan here. I'm not sure how one quantifies "dirtiest team in the league last season" so I can't really speak to that. I will say though that I was embarrassed by many of the Penguins' reactions to getting outplayed in that series. Asham's cheapshot, Letang's hush mocking the crowd (he really made an idiot of himself), Crosby pushing the glove thing. They are really competitive guys and I think their composure got the best of themselves. As far as retribution, I don't really get the talk here about returning a perceived or real cheapshot with another cheapshot. Hit Neal as often and as hard as you want, challenge him to a fight (one he will likely decline against one of your tougher fighters so would Giroux or any other star player). Just my 2 cents.

Neal should have no problems fighting anybody in our top 6 (and any of them would totally be willing).

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

You know what I confused last season with 2010-2011 so the Pens were not the dirtiest team last season. I apologize for that.

But the point is, all of my friends who are Pens fans and many who talk on message boards constantly talk about the Flyers being a "dirty" team. Which I cannot dispute with because they are always at or near the top in PIM's and fighting majors. BUT, when the Pens do it, they see no problem with it since they're just competitive and lost their composure. If that's the case, then so are the Flyers.

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
Edit: In relation to the above post, I thought Crosby pushing the glove was pretty funny. That's a Prongeresque move.

I agree with this. I know deep down it was just Crosby being a petulant little *****, but it was still a classic gamesmanship move that I would have lauded from Pronger.

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I agree with this. I know deep down it was just Crosby being a petulant little *****, but it was still a classic gamesmanship move that I would have lauded from Pronger.

I'm totally fine with what Crosby did as long as he's willing to drop the gloves and go toe to toe for his actions. Not hold on until the refs get there and then start throwing punches or declining to fight like he did with Schenn. Pronger obviously was willing to drop the gloves when necessary.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
The colored glasses come with fandom and they're complimentary.

Yeah, the cheap hits on all sides are something that I could never support. As a Pens fan, I thought Neal's hit was cheap and he'll have to answer the bell at some point. But the glove thing was just a bit of gamesmanship that I thought was funny too. Those are the kind of moments that keep the rivalry fresh without it going overboard.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You know what I confused last season with 2010-2011 so the Pens were not the dirtiest team last season. I apologize for that.

But the point is, all of my friends who are Pens fans and many who talk on message boards constantly talk about the Flyers being a "dirty" team. Which I cannot dispute with because they are always at or near the top in PIM's and fighting majors. BUT, when the Pens do it, they see no problem with it since they're just competitive and lost their composure. If that's the case, then so are the Flyers.

That's called being a hypocrite :laugh:

I will say, the history of the Flyers has something to do with their perception today. Some of it is warranted, some not. Just like the notion that the Pen's are a bunch of whiners is partially warranted, partially not. I mean the Crysby thing (and the diving reputation) is so over hyped. The dude whined too much as a rookie but had toned that down years ago. That just comes with the territory of being one of the top stars in the game. I see Giroux getting some of those things thrown around at him as well.

The reality is that all fanbases are biased and see what they want to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad