OT: Restaurant thread

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Santa Lucia pizza last night, wow, what happened to the generous toppings, $45 bucks for an x-large, might as well have ordered from Pizza Pizza or Little Caesars If I just wanted dough and tomato paste!

Little Caesars has improved their pizza, at least the one on the corner of Plessis and Regent is pretty good for a quick grab and go. I think I'd rather eat that than Santa Lucia now.

Pizza Pizza still the same bland crap, nowhere is it worse than at Bell MTS Place :thumbd:

Reactions: The Blue Baron

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I buy the Kraft pizza kits alot , takes a little more time but man they taste good.
Mom used to make those about once a month in the 80s, she would load them up with many toppings. That sauce in the tin can was the best (I dunno what it tastes like now). The best Saturdays were when pizza night would line up with WWF's Saturday Night's Main Event.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I find that Santa Lucia varies location to location for quality of their product, just in the last little while I have order the same pizzas from 2 locations with vastly different results

The last time I ate Santa Lucia was the one on east Regent, it was so greasy I could feel my arteries hardening. Probably would have had better pizza at the 7-11 next door :laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
So strange...the Santa Lucia on Corydon makes fantastic pizza. I wonder if there's that much difference between locations, or if it's just everyone has different taste in pizza?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Mom used to make those about once a month in the 80s, she would load them up with many toppings. That sauce in the tin can was the best (I dunno what it tastes like now). The best Saturdays were when pizza night would line up with WWF's Saturday Night's Main Event.
It's still the exact same, you should give it a whirl again. I'm professional at the crust now. :laugh:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Not a surprise. That place never had any problems maintaining social distancing any time we ate there.
Yeah, it was never full. That said, I didn't mind their food at all.

Gotta put in a plug again for the Roblin Grill. Run by a First Nations family it's always great service and very good burgers. We cycle between them, George's (St. Mary's), Red Top and Dairy Delight for burger fixes.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Garwood Grill is shutting down for summer break very soon. I didn't catch the first date clearly in my memory but something like August 10th. They are closed through the 31st. I'm eating leftover pizza from there right now.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Garwood Grill is shutting down for summer break very soon. I didn't catch the first date clearly in my memory but something like August 10th. They are closed through the 31st. I'm eating leftover pizza from there right now.
Bastard :laugh:
Will be going tomorrow now

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Has anyone tried Archie's pizza? I get them frozen at Trappers in Lac Du Bonnet.
A pastry type crust, so damn good..

I think that's the one I like best. Had it at a family lunch. I went to Giant Tiger to buy one and they are 9 dollars each. Nine dollars at Giant Tiger!

I'm not sure now if the great crust pizza is the Archie's or the Spentz Brothers. I'll play it safe and buy Kraft mix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31 and chaos4

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Maybe they'll hire on all those pro-union former Stella's employees that are now out of work. :sarcasm:
Has there ever been a thorough explanation of what the Stella's employees are after?

The reason I ask is that I know a ton of people in the restaurant industry as I worked in it for nearly ten years. The general philosophy is that most of your staff are transient in nature, meaning they'll be on board for less than two years. The reason behind that is that hosting/bussing/waiting/bartending just generally aren't good, long term careers. Most servers are young and move on to bigger and better things.

There are always a few people that are career employees - management, prep staff and a smattering of other positions. Those are generally compensated differently from what I know in that they have far better (well I suppose the point is "any") benefits.

So is it servers looking for pensions and dental and the like?

I know Surly in Minneapolis is currently going through the same thing but theirs is a much more recent development.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I remember these kits. I imagine you still need mozzarella? Cant imagine these kits come with cheese.
They come with a very good amount of Kraft Parmesan cheese, you add your own mozzarella. At the price of kraft Parmesan cheese it's actually a good amount they give and the sauce is the exact same as it ever was. Talking about this has made me decide it's pizza night tonight. :laugh:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Has anyone tried that Hello Fresh? I've been doing it for over a month now and the food is quite good. I've eaten and tried alot of things i hadn't before and everything has been good.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Has anyone tried that Hello Fresh? I've been doing it for over a month now and the food is quite good. I've eaten and tried alot of things i hadn't before and everything has been good.
My brother who has more money than brains has been on the 4 meals a week for 4 people plan for over a year now, they love it. He gave me a coupon for 3 free meals so we gave it a go, all 3 meals were fantastic, just can’t see myself spending $75+ every week for 3 dinners.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
They come with a very good amount of Kraft Parmesan cheese, you add your own mozzarella. At the price of kraft Parmesan cheese it's actually a good amount they give and the sauce is the exact same as it ever was. Talking about this has made me decide it's pizza night tonight. :laugh:

Pick up some Parmigiano-Reggiano and you will never go back to what we call "shaker cheese". I buy a big wedge at Superstore when they go on sale for around $20, run it through my stand mixer grater attachment and I get a couple of big containers of grated cheese that will last me many weeks in the freezer. The rinds can be saved and tossed in to soups, stews, sauces for yummy salty umami.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
My brother who has more money than brains has been on the 4 meals a week for 4 people plan for over a year now, they love it. He gave me a coupon for 3 free meals so we gave it a go, all 3 meals were fantastic, just can’t see myself spending $75+ every week for 3 dinners.

The only advantage I can see for these services is a reduction in food waste. Beyond that, I would rather look up a recipe online, and shop for what I need. I'm very picky about the meat, fish and perishables I buy. I don't want someone else making those selections for me.

Also, kind of annoying you can't see their meal offerings until you actually sign up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad