OT: Restaurant thread

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Haven't had Burrito del Rio since August 2019 when I moved to Ottawa. Is it still going strong/still a god damn mess of a meal?

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Had Popeye’s chicken today at their St. Mary’s location (near Dakota)

Good stuff .....
Avoid the the mashed potatoes with gravy. The gravy you’d expect a beef based broth flavour but it has a weird, almost East Indian, taste to it. Does not go with the meal right at all.

Chicken, biscuits, and sandwich are good however.

fries are meh!

Reactions: SUX2BU

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I like
Mama’s Noodle House
TH Dang too
That’s going to solicit a lot of opinion. My fave is TH Dang on Pembina, just excellent.

Pho Hoang
Viva
Pho No 1

also right up there.
haha TH Dang is usually my go-to. Pho Hoang if im in the St James area (don't think they deliver to the south). TH Dang is really good though, just wondering if i am missing out any other gems

also

has any1 tried this Frankies Italian Restaurant by the outlet mall?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Avoid the the mashed potatoes with gravy. The gravy you’d expect a beef based broth flavour but it has a weird, almost East Indian, taste to it. Does not go with the meal right at all.

Chicken, biscuits, and sandwich are good however.

fries are meh!

Hmm, maybe didn't do a good job of scrubbing the place when they moved in. It used to be an East Indian restaurant. :laugh:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I love me my Dairy Whip. Its always been my go-to for a burger.

Interesting aside: my grandmother had a chance to buy it years ago. I forget the whole story.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
No talk on burritos, so let me say that Carlos and Murphy's makes my favourite. I find Burrito Del Rio to be decent value as they are quite large, but taste wise they are nothing special.
If anyone wants to recommend another place, that would be great.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
No talk on burritos, so let me say that Carlos and Murphy's makes my favourite. I find Burrito Del Rio to be decent value as they are quite large, but taste wise they are nothing special.
It's a matter of personal taste, but I would put Burrito Del Rio at, or near the top of the list. I'm guessing we could do an entire thread on best burrito in Mexico ;)

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
We supported Superboys last night, that is without a doubt the best Greek burger I have ever had excellent fries also. Heads up if you go order ahead they are smoking busy! We got there at 5:30 went to order and was told our order would be ready at 7....it was worth the wait. Really awesome to see people out supporting restaurants.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Do keep in mind as you support your favourite establishments 2-3 times a week that restaurant food is for the most part very unhealthy compared to home-prepared meals. And I don't just mean the fast food burger and pizza places. Most restaurants simply use far more saturated fats and sodium in their dishes than is desirable. And while the big chains will provide you with nutritional info on their web sites (which I take with a grain of salt heh-heh but that's another issue), you have no idea what's going into the food at your typical local restaurant.

Yes, you can probably find some healthier choices on some menus but they're often not the items you think will be. Salads can be among the worst offenders. I mean, there just isn't any healthy way to make lettuce taste good IMO. :laugh:

And how often do people go for "healthy choices" anyway when they dine out? It's usually an excuse for wretched excess in my experience. Hey, let's get a plate of loaded nachos to start with while we're waiting for our 20 ounce Porterhouses. No veggies thanks, gotta save room for dessert! Hoo-boy, I'm stuffed. I'll sleep well tonight barring a bout of acid reflux. Urp.

We rarely ate out before all this and I'm certainly not going to increase that under some sense of obligation to keep restaurants in business. You just can't keep eating poorly on a regular basis over an extended period of time and expect it to not have a detrimental effect on your body. Super Size Me (granted, a ridiculous extreme) showed just how easily and quickly a crap diet can take its toll on your health. And the more your overall health is compromised, the more likely you are to develop serious complications should you get covid.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Burrito del Rio is hit and miss depending on who's cooking in the back. I've had both the best and worst pulled pork I've ever eaten there. When it's on though it is by far the best burrito I've ever eaten.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Do keep in mind as you support your favourite establishments 2-3 times a week that restaurant food is for the most part very unhealthy compared to home-prepared meals. And I don't just mean the fast food burger and pizza places. Most restaurants simply use far more saturated fats and sodium in their dishes than is desirable. And while the big chains will provide you with nutritional info on their web sites (which I take with a grain of salt heh-heh but that's another issue), you have no idea what's going into the food at your typical local restaurant.

Yes, you can probably find some healthier choices on some menus but they're often not the items you think will be. Salads can be among the worst offenders. I mean, there just isn't any healthy way to make lettuce taste good IMO. :laugh:

And how often do people go for "healthy choices" anyway when they dine out? It's usually an excuse for wretched excess in my experience. Hey, let's get a plate of loaded nachos to start with while we're waiting for our 20 ounce Porterhouses. No veggies thanks, gotta save room for dessert! Hoo-boy, I'm stuffed. I'll sleep well tonight barring a bout of acid reflux. Urp.

We rarely ate out before all this and I'm certainly not going to increase that under some sense of obligation to keep restaurants in business. You just can't keep eating poorly on a regular basis over an extended period of time and expect it to not have a detrimental effect on your body. Super Size Me (granted, a ridiculous extreme) showed just how easily and quickly a crap diet can take its toll on your health. And the more your overall health is compromised, the more likely you are to develop serious complications should you get covid.
Talk about a party pooper . :laugh:

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Big fan of Carlos and Murphys. Awesome quesadilla and believe it or not, killer wings. My all time #1 wing. Im super picky with wings and dont like big/fatty ones. At C&M theyre smaller, crispy, and their homemade sauce is amazing. If you like some spice but not over the top, get the half and half. I could legit eat them everyday, and at 55 cents per during their happy hour you cant go wrong. Their soups are all killer too.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Thanks for the patronizing, unsolicited lecture. Your username has never been so relevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad