Restart the Rebuild

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I watched a lot of Tkachuk and just never did see this type of production outside the WJC and I just gave Mittlestadt too much credit for Tkachuk's success in the WJC. I still had him inside the top 10, but not 4th and certainly wouldn't have expected what he is currently doing with the Sens.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
We are only 5 points from rock bottom and I can see a free fall, the not very strong roster to start with is flat out too weak now with all the injuries; there is nobody who can be traded or called up to provide relief. I wish this would be an opportunity for the younger guys to have some playing time, but they are already there, and are not doing very much with it.

I think we will finish dead last this season. We will lose the lottery naturally.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Man this year is going to be tough... we need to put together a 10 and 2 run or we are finished.

4 game win streak followed by a 4 game losing streak is not going to cut it.

The rest of the Pacific keeps winning. With the exception of the Canucks and Kings.

Every day puts us further behind. Once we're out of contention, we will start to play loose and put some streaks together.

Maybe it's a good thing we are leaving the Pacific.

We’ve only played 5 games out of 32 against Pacific Divsion teams. There’s still plenty of opportunity for the Yotes to do something.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
A list of the underperforming:

Veteran players
Young players
Prospects
Scouting staff
Coaching staff
GM
Owner

Yup blow it up and start over
We just did. It didnt work. No idea what to do. Trade everyone over 25? Fire Tocchet and MacLean? Fire Chayka and Sullivan? Sell the team? Move to Houston? All of the above?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I watched a lot of Tkachuk and just never did see this type of production outside the WJC and I just gave Mittlestadt too much credit for Tkachuk's success in the WJC. I still had him inside the top 10, but not 4th and certainly wouldn't have expected what he is currently doing with the Sens.
Same. I had him top ten but didn’t think he’d be this productive at his peak, let alone as a rookie. I’d take him 2nd overall easily at this point.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Thats our biggest problem? Watching different teams then. You cant sustain the way we played earlier with the goalie saving us in every game...consistent scoring is our biggest problem.
That's true, but it all starts in net. Our 5v5 is horrible because we don't have the puck enough and injuries have hurt. I hate to use injuries as a excuse but we have very little depth to cover up injuries.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Same. I had him top ten but didn’t think he’d be this productive at his peak, let alone as a rookie. I’d take him 2nd overall easily at this point.
He's a Tkachuk. That is EXACTLY the type of player we need. Crouse has to turn into a mean mother ------. Same for Fischer.

Reactions: Heldig

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Does anyone believe there's a single superstar in the making in the Coyotes organization? Like a bonadfide, point per game or 40 goal kind of player?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I don't think we have a 40 goal scorer, but I believe Keller is a PPG player. More of the 20-60 or 25-55. He's not a 40 goal scorer.
I'm not convinced of that but I hope you're right. I think he could have an outlier year or two with a really good center but I don't see him putting up 80+ points with any sort of regularity. He's still young though so there's at least chance I suppose.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The thing about point per game players is while we could certainly use a few of them, even that isn't particularly special anymore the way league scoring is going.

Last season there were 24 players at 1 ppg or higher and another 10 within .05 of it.
This season there are 48 and a couple more within a few hundredths. That number will probably go down a bit as the season goes on but I'd bet on it still trending upward.

80+ points with any sort of regularity

Most guys who have been per game players at one point don't.
Though that may change with the scoring increases lately.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Restart the rebuild?? That would come with the knowledge that we had already made some progress in that dept.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Does anyone believe there's a single superstar in the making in the Coyotes organization? Like a bonadfide, point per game or 40 goal kind of player?
Superstar? No. We have some nice pieces but not a superstar.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Keller with the right linemates will a be a pt per game guy. He had 65 pts in 82 games his rookie year on a team that scored the second fewest goals in the league.

Reactions: lanky

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
We are only 5 points from rock bottom and I can see a free fall, the not very strong roster to start with is flat out too weak now with all the injuries; there is nobody who can be traded or called up to provide relief. I wish this would be an opportunity for the younger guys to have some playing time, but they are already there, and are not doing very much with it.

I think we will finish dead last this season. We will lose the lottery naturally.
If we finish dead last, we still get at least #3. Or is it #4? I'm fine with that draft pick in 2019. We won't finish dead last though.

Last edited:

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
HE would have been perfect for this group of powder puffs we have. We need more guys like him.
But we came on at the end of last season and reduced our chance in the lottery like we always do.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
But we came on at the end of last season and reduced our chance in the lottery like we always do.

The Coyotes were leapfrogged by 2 teams from where they sat with the 3rd best odds. Including by one team who had the 11th worst odds of moving up.

You say this all the time but do not acknowledge the math of it. It is completely pointless to outright try and lose as many games as possible in the new system. No NHL GM is going to intentionally destroy the on ice product to such a degree for a 4% difference in odds. It's not happening.

Also Ottawa and Buffalo were just flat out worse teams. We weren't out pacing them in a tank. The team was never as bad as the October version of it and everyone knew it.

Reactions: azcanuck

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
The Coyotes were leapfrogged by 2 teams from where they sat with the 3rd best odds. Including by one team who had the 11th worst odds of moving up.

You say this all the time but do not acknowledge the math of it. It is completely pointless to outright try and lose as many games as possible in the new system. No NHL GM is going to intentionally destroy the on ice product to such a degree for a 4% difference in odds. It's not happening.

Also Ottawa and Buffalo were just flat out worse teams. We weren't out pacing them in a tank. The team was never as bad as the October version of it and everyone knew it.
Finishing worse gives you the best ODDS and nothing more. I fully understand that a team better then you can leap frog.
And in no way do I advocate a public tanking. But there's nothing wrong with bringing up the goalie from the minors among others to see what you got. Ottawa , last year, came back a long way to finish worse then us and picked up Tkachuk.
Tippett was the worse for improving at the end. Just killed us when we really sucked and we're not improving.

Reactions: RemoAZ

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Finishing worse gives you the best ODDS and nothing more. I fully understand that a team better then you can leap frog.
And in no way do I advocate a public tanking. But there's nothing wrong with bringing up the goalie from the minors among others to see what you got. Ottawa , last year, came back a long way to finish worse then us and picked up Tkachuk.
Tippett was the worse for improving at the end. Just killed us when we really sucked and we're not improving.

No team won more meaningless games than the teams coached by our former HC. While other crappy teams were looking at and trying to develop youth, we were playing all the scrap heap players we could get to squeeze out a few more wins. Just another reason we need strong ownership that hires management with a solid plan to improve the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad