Restart the Rebuild

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Look at the damn roster, healthy or not its not contender material. Its a hodge podge of speed with much softness and not enough top scoring talent. The only thing I think is solid for the future is goaltending (i think).

After all these years Yotes fans just like to settle for just ok. Its been beaten into them one loss at a time. When Vancouver and Detroit already have a brighter future than us thats pretty sad.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
It makes no sense to clamour for a restart. The team is leaps and bounds better than it was a few years ago and it’s obvious that the general trend is towards improvement. Look at the goals allowed difference since last year. The team can play defence fine, especially when you consider that the offence isn’t there yet so the team needs to defend more often. The number one priority should be to develop the offence. Look at Toronto; their defence isn’t lauded, but it doesn’t hurt them as much because they more than make up for it offensively. Imagine how much fewer goals we’d allow if we controlled the puck even more in games.

As for trading Goligoski or Stepan, I highly doubt it’ll happen unless the offer is heavily biased towards the Coyotes. Stepan wasn’t a win now move and never was intended to be one. He was aquired for leadership and to play the harder minutes so others can develop. He did great last year at that and was instrumental in Keller’s performance. As the team improves Stepan’ll likely slot lower, but he still is a positive contributor.

Goligoski can actually drive the offence. OEL will always take precedence, and Chychrun is being developed into a similar role, but without Goligoski that leaves you relying on Connauton, Hjalmarsson, or Oesterle trying to make the first pass on the breakout. They don’t make the kinds of passes that turn into a zone entry. That’s what makes Goligoski of value and trading him would be a step back for the teams’ generation of offensive zone entries and chances.

Anyway, it’s a misstep to trade away guys who aren’t in that core age as you expose players who aren’t ready or capable of playing higher up on the roster yet, and especially when the team is improving. You have to expect further improvement in the youngsters which will help to draw supplemental free agents in the offseason as the team takes another step towards contention.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I think Chayka has spent his wad. Not much to trade.
I agree not the trade route, just continuing to build the roster through development of young drafted players and shrewd FA signings like Grabner. But I wouldn't discount trades either. he doesn't seem shy about doing so.
If the yotes are out of the playoff picture as we close in on trade deadline you'll see guys like Stephan traded and I think the return could be good on him. He's been our best forward overall this season.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Here's the issue. We don't have the prospects to lift our team to the next level. Maybe Hayton, but aside from him, we just don't have the talent. We can't get the talent as free agents because we can't afford 2 first line talented forwards on their first big money contracts. We need to draft them. That will take at least 3 years to draft 2 or 3 top line forwards and another two for them all to be full time NHL players. Galchenyuk, Keller, Hinostroza, Schmaltz, Fischer, Crouse, and Bunting/Garland will be mature vets, all 2nd -4th liners. The can be replaced easy enough through trades and FA signings, and 2nd round and below draft choices. OEL and the rest of the vets will be gone by then. So, since we won't be aiming for the finals for half a decade anyway, why not trade the lot now and get more bites at the draft apple over the next 2 years, to better find our needed first line?

edit: This is predicated on the supposition that the Coyotes financial situation will continue pretty much the same, and we won't be able to sign the primo free agents.

Last edited:
Reactions: CNYCrunchfan1

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Here's the issue. We don't have the prospects to lift our team to the next level. Maybe Hayton, but aside from him, we just don't have the talent. We can't get the talent as free agents because we can't afford 2 first line talented forwards on their first big money contracts. We need to draft them. That will take at least 3 years to draft 2 or 3 top line forwards and another two for them all to be full time NHL players. Galchenyuk, Keller, Hinostroza, Schmaltz, Fischer, Crouse, and Bunting/Garland will be mature vets, all 2nd -4th liners. The can be replaced easy enough through trades and FA signings, and 2nd round and below draft choices. OEL and the rest of the vets will be gone by then. So, since we won't be aiming for the finals for half a decade anyway, why not trade the lot now and get more bites at the draft apple over the next 2 years, to better find our needed first line?

edit: This is predicated on the supposition that the Coyotes financial situation will continue pretty much the same, and we won't be able to sign the primo free agents.

This needs to happen. Also, since this is the Coyotes, it won't happen. That's Coyotes hockey, baby.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If Chayka flew to Bora Bora and stayed there disconnected for 3 years, only turned his phone on twice; first to sign Panarin long term, then a year later to sign Trouba long term, it would be a job well done. If that was possible I wouldn't want any vets traded away.

Panarin-Schmaltz-Keller
Gally-Dvorak-Cozens
Crouse-Stepan-Vinnistroza
Bunting-Hayton-Fischer

OEL-Trouba
Chychrun--Hjalmarsson
POJ-Oesterle

In reality though... this fan base is in for a long struggle.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We don't have any pieces worth anything. Maybe OEL. What's the point? We're already in rebuild land. Have been for years.
This roster already represents what should be the bare minimum of NHL talent we ice. Demers can go because he is replaceable. They need to make decisions on UFAs Panik and Oesterle to reup them or dump them at the deadline. Those are the only moves worth pursuing.
I'd listen on anyone, even OEL, but I wouldn't do much other than try to get healthy and keep adding talent. I wouldn't deal anyone other than those three without an NHL-ready replacement. Guys like Cousins aren't the problem and aren't worth much anyway.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Man this year is going to be tough... we need to put together a 10 and 2 run or we are finished.

4 game win streak followed by a 4 game losing streak is not going to cut it.

The rest of the Pacific keeps winning. With the exception of the Canucks and Kings.

Every day puts us further behind. Once we're out of contention, we will start to play loose and put some streaks together.

Maybe it's a good thing we are leaving the Pacific.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
As I have stated several times in these pages the only solution is sign a couple UFA's to bolster the team. Whatever perceived talent in the system has disappointed/disappeared. On the active roster there is very little in trade value except the 5 or 6 players they really need to keep. Hayton may crack the roster next year but likely is not a difference maker (at least for a year or two). Whoever is drafted next summer is not likely an impact player for another year or two down the road...

Reactions: _Del_

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Doubtful.

High.

When you say high, I think of the O'Reilly trade.

I admittedly don't follow Yotes hockey much, but I can see he's on your second line with Stepan recently, and he's not lighting the score sheet on fire this season. Can you explain what he'd be realistically worth? Thanks

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
but I can see he's on your second line with Stepan recently, and he's not lighting the score sheet on fire this season. Can you explain what he'd be realistically worth? Thanks

Well nobody is lighting the score sheet on fire around here.

I don't know what he's realistically worth. very early 2nd? If even that. He's not that valuable in a global sense. But he's worth way more to the Coyotes than whatever return he'd bring. We need to have cheap young players who might break out. If we trade them all away we'll never get better.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
When you say high, I think of the O'Reilly trade.

I admittedly don't follow Yotes hockey much, but I can see he's on your second line with Stepan recently, and he's not lighting the score sheet on fire this season. Can you explain what he'd be realistically worth? Thanks
A first round pick in that 10-20 OV range would be my ask. It’s higher than “his worth”.

AZ needs cost controlled scoring wingers with size. They have been grooming Fischer for years and he projects to be a top 6 forward for the next decade by next season. AZ has zero incentive to move him.

Reactions: doaner

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Well nobody is lighting the score sheet on fire around here.

I don't know what he's realistically worth. very early 2nd? If even that. He's not that valuable in a global sense. But he's worth way more to the Coyotes than whatever return he'd bring. We need to have cheap young players who might break out. If we trade them all away we'll never get better.

That seems reasonable. My thought was young players who can get better and grade well analytically. My initial trade idea was Evan Rodrigues F, Casey Nelson D, and the Sabres 2020 second for Fischer.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
A first round pick in that 10-20 OV range would be my ask. It’s higher than “his worth”.

AZ needs cost controlled scoring wingers with size. They have been grooming Fischer for years and he projects to be a top 6 forward for the next decade by next season. AZ has zero incentive to move him.

I get the reasoning, but the Sabres aren't giving away any of their firsts. Friedman just reported it. See my above post. That was my initial thought.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

Watching Brady Tkachuk score I think Fischer could take a page from his playbook - park by a post and tuck in whatever pucks come his way. If/when Fischer starts to score his value will be high indeed.

jdfitz12

Oct 11, 2008
It's simple....look at the Goals For ....only 2 teams worse than Coyotes (76) are the Kings (71) and Canes (72)
NEED more scoring ....PERIOD
Oh yeah and take away that unusual amount of SHG (11) and woofta. Team D and G is good.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I get the reasoning, but the Sabres aren't giving away any of their firsts. Friedman just reported it. See my above post. That was my initial thought.
Yeah. Zero interest then from our side. 2 mediocre mid 20's depth players and a 2nd rounder isn't at all intriguing.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Watching Brady Tkachuk score I think Fischer could take a page from his playbook - park by a post and tuck in whatever pucks come his way. If/when Fischer starts to score his value will be high indeed.
You had me at Brady Tkachuk. I was head of his cheerleading committee for last year's draft. I took a bit a flak for it as well :).

Reactions: Jakey53 and CC96

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Well, the way Tkachuk has come out and played, you deserve credit...I couldn't look past his minuscule production outside of the WJC to rank him where he went, but he's proven me wrong.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
and agreed, Fischer should watch Tkachuk and do what he does. Fischer is already good at holding onto the puck in the corners and coming out w/it, just needs to begin getting in better position to begin scoring more ugly goals.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Well, the way Tkachuk has come out and played, you deserve credit...I couldn't look past his minuscule production outside of the WJC to rank him where he went, but he's proven me wrong.
Honestly I watched him the year prior to his draft year at a couple events. I knew he was being mislabeled so it was an easy position to argue from my side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad