Restart the Rebuild

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
No team won more meaningless games than the teams coached by our former HC. While other crappy teams were looking at and trying to develop youth, we were playing all the scrap heap players we could get to squeeze out a few more wins. Just another reason we need strong ownership that hires management with a solid plan to improve the organization.
We were playing like crazy while Buffalo made every goalie who made a save disappear and the Leafs played last quarter without a coach!!!

Reactions: CLW and RemoAZ

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Timep to ask ourselves, have we seen enough growth in this team?. I hope that new ownership cleans house from Chayka on down. We need a new group of cheap, mediocre vets to shepherd our young. The young players, instead of being our future stars, should be groomed for the 3rd and 4th lines and a new crop of draft picks over the next 2 years should all be top 6 forwards.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Chayka has done some great moves and great blunders. I'm willing to believe that he hasn't been patient with the roster because the owner told him to get in the playoffs ASAP. This is why I'd be ok with him getting a second chance with a new owner IF he commits to building a contender without taking short cuts.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
I’d strip the C from OEL before trading him. He seems more interested in photo ops than playing like a 1D

Scratch that. Might sink his value even more.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If we're trading OEL it has to be before his NMC kicks in next summer. This trade deadline would be ideal for tank reasons.

OEL to the Isles for Dobson + 2nd.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'd fire: Chayka, Tocchett & MacLean and whoever the video guy is. The only guy I'd keep is Allen and I'd make him the video/PK coach.

Fellas, trading OEL, Stepan, Goligoski, Demers is only going to make the team worse, because you're not going to get fair value for them. It will be just another setback. The thing to do right now is get a new coach who hires his own guys and is a "proven" winner as a coach at the AHL or NHL level.

Chayka needs to go because the team has needed way more "grit" than we currently have on the team and Mr. Analytics apparently doesn't value "grit", so he has to go.

Again, Fire Everyone!

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Fellas, trading OEL, Stepan, Goligoski, Demers is only going to make the team worse, because you're not going to get fair value for them. It will be just another setback. The thing to do right now is get a new coach who hires his own guys and is a "proven" winner as a coach at the AHL or NHL level.

I'm still mostly where I was at the start of the thread (Summary: team very annoying, not bottom 3 bad, trades won't solve talent problem so why bother) Though with the injuries since the thread started we might be bottom 3 bad now. However the real problem is not going to be solved by trades.

But your plan makes more sense to me than the trade everyone plan because of this specifically. However it wouldn't hurt to trade one of them on the principle of it, probably Goligoski. He's directly responsible for like 4 goals against in the last 3 games. Underperforming vets more so says fire people than trade the vets, at least at first.

I don't think the organization is doing either though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No team won more meaningless games than the teams coached by our former HC. While other crappy teams were looking at and trying to develop youth, we were playing all the scrap heap players we could get to squeeze out a few more wins. Just another reason we need strong ownership that hires management with a solid plan to improve the organization.
I would bet if you asked any GM in the league how they rank DT you would be surprised how high he would rank, especially if you compare him to RT. I don't want to get into another discussion about former coaches and management so let's leave it at that. :)

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I don't want to get into another discussion concerning coaches...but DT wasn't a good coach either. RT system is more entertaining, but too difficult to execute. DT's system was extremely boring and almost unwatchable, but he did get more out of this players, but he still turned good teams into bad teams in two locations...so let's all agree that we can find a coach that is better than both of them.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't want to get into another discussion concerning coaches...but DT wasn't a good coach either. RT system is more entertaining, but too difficult to execute. DT's system was extremely boring and almost unwatchable, but he did get more out of this players, but he still turned good teams into bad teams in two locations...so let's all agree that we can find a coach that is better than both of them.
Yep. Tocchet being bad doesn’t make Tippett good. Let’s get a good coach.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My vote is still Tim Hunter if Tocchet is to go. I think you'll see Hunter's stock go through the roof with Canada at the WJC here.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
After about a dozen refreshes of that sim the Coyotes had the 1OA pick, so clearly it is broken. Someone forgot to program the sim with the “Coyote Luck Override” which negates any possible lottery wins...

Yotes won on the first spin for me and I said "Yeah... right!". About the only lottery they'd ever win is the sim haha.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
After about a dozen refreshes of that sim the Coyotes had the 1OA pick, so clearly it is broken. Someone forgot to program the sim with the “Coyote Luck Override” which negates any possible lottery wins...
After running this a few dozen times, I can say with relative certainty that where ever we fall, we will pick 2 spots back from that.

Reactions: SniperHF

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That's true, but it all starts in net. Our 5v5 is horrible because we don't have the puck enough and injuries have hurt. I hate to use injuries as a excuse but we have very little depth to cover up injuries.

You're looking for excuses..... there are a lot of reasons why we're where we're at right now and no one item can be labelled as the main attribute for it.

Kuemper kept that game from being a 6-1 game instead of 3-1. He made one real gaffe on their first steep angle goal by getting out too far from the net, but he made up for it wih a lot of point blank saves set up by dumb mistakes made by the guys in front of him.

One other thing I noticed early on was Lehner was giving up a bunch of rebounds right in front of the net and we didn't have anyone there to pick them up.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
One other thing I noticed early on was Lehner was giving up a bunch of rebounds right in front of the net and we didn't have anyone there to pick them up.

Another one they seem to do a lot is..make pretty passing players to players on their backhand who can't do anything with it.
Team has no idea what they are doing in the offensive zone.
Eventhough it's starting to breakdown with the injuries, whatever Allen is getting paid probably isn't enough.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I’d strip the C from OEL before trading him. He seems more interested in photo ops than playing like a 1D

Scratch that. Might sink his value even more.
I wouldn't have given it to him in the first place. Has he ever really demonstrated leadership? Was a reason ever given as to how he earned it in the first place? I would rotate captaincy based on merit like Jacques Lemaire used to do. At least until an established player is deserving of it. Say for example, in three years or so Barrett Hayton is deserving of that role. Do you strip it from OEL and give him the patch? OEL was an odd choice to me.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
The offensive structure needs the retooling. If there was any semblance of a game plan there the team would be over .500.

Team can’t establish in the offensive zone and come away with a shot. It’s always back to a defenseman for a shot that is either blocked leading to a breakaway for the other team or they miss the net and that’s the end of the play. It’s too one-dimensional. Same thing on the power play, but more pathetic looking. The zone entry is that gigantic drop pass that allows the same player who was on the original puck carrier to recover 100% and get back on defence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->