Restart the Rebuild

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I rarely start a thread, but I thought I'd throw this out there. Be gentle.

At this pace, by the time we are competitive, OEL will be retiring. We need to trade OEL for prospects, as well as anybody over 25 that doesn't play goal. We don't have near enough talent in the AHL to be in the midst of a rebuild. We need to restock for a couple of years and start the rebuild from scratch. We need prospects and picks, and a far more effective front office.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think we just keep going with Chayka. Enjoy the early draft pick this year. Continue to build around what you’ve started. Get healthy and take that big step forward next year.

I actually think there are more positives this year. A first line has emerged. An elite penalty kill. Good top 4D. Depth at Center finally. A top prospect who has progressed to the point others are considering him to be an impact player. I’m enjoying this.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
We need to be the youngest and brightest franchise when we move to the Central. I'm glad we tried to make a push to sneak into the playoffs in a weak division. We arent making it now and moving to a more challenging division. We wont be able to keep up with the Avs and Jets with the talent we have. And if we do start sneaking in as Nash and Dallas start declining, we will quickly be on the decline as well, as Chicago starts on their upswing.

I'd like to hang onto some vets. Richards is worth more to us than the return he could get. Same as Grabner. Hammer could be valuable as well, especially if we move OEL.

Stepan and Goligoski need to be moved this year.

Reactions: CLW

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I don't think we need to burn it to the ground and start over.

I do think that

Chychrun
Gogo
Hjalmarsson
Oesterle
POJ
Capobianco
Hoefenmayer
Bahl

is a LD group with enough quality that we can and should trade OEL if there is an equal level star coming back.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
I rarely start a thread, but I thought I'd throw this out there. Be gentle.

At this pace, by the time we are competitive, OEL will be retiring. We need to trade OEL for prospects, as well as anybody over 25 that doesn't play goal. We don't have near enough talent in the AHL to be in the midst of a rebuild. We need to restock for a couple of years and start the rebuild from scratch. We need prospects and picks, and a far more effective front office.

I actually think this makes sense but I'm not as high on OEL as others. I think we could add a real nice offensive piece for him in a deal. And keeping 25 and under would keep most of what we value. Not really a start over rebuild.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
If we dump Stepan, Goligoski and potentially OEL, this is a decent UFA class to replace these players. I'd target the following realistic options, not even bothering putting Stone or Duchene on the list but if we could attract the big names, sure why not.

Simmonds - overpay the man if we shed salary. We. Need. Grit.
Silfverberg - seems like a perfect fit and right shot. Replace Panik's spot with him.
Brassard - May as well get assets for Stepan and overpay for a 3C
Nyquist - we need goals.

If we miss on all of the following above I'd be happy to add both Lee and/or Nelson.

The defensemen are really interesting as there are similar players to those we would be moving.
Gardiner - out with Goligoski in with Gardiner.
Myers - could also be a great place holder if OEL moves to play on a top line with Chychrun
Stralman - if we move Hammer we can bring in another steady vet

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Fellas, it would be nice to have a star, but with Tocchett's system, we're not going to be offensive juggernauts, so all we can hope for is above average players and a good defense and reliable backstops.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Head meet desk. This team does not need to restart the rebuild. They are on the right track, the train has been derailed a bit by injures but the team is competitive almost every night.
The desk says: Look at the top 6 forwards on Colorado, Nashville, and Winnipog. Where's the talent to compete in the Central? The Chucky line? The Stepan line? We're on the right track? Look at all three's prospect pools and compare it to ours. Don't make me laugh.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I wouldn't be opposed to trading OEL along with vets like Stepan and Goligoski (when his no trade expires). Only for high end prospects that won't need a lot of development though. This organization needs plug and play players.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Head meet desk. This team does not need to restart the rebuild. They are on the right track, the train has been derailed a bit by injures but the team is competitive almost every night.

He wasnt saying a complete rebuild...what exactly would we lose of our youth on what he was proposing? Our vets have been spotty at best.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Fellas, it would be nice to have a star, but with Tocchett's system, we're not going to be offensive juggernauts, so all we can hope for is above average players and a good defense and reliable backstops.

We have a potential star in Keller but he needs a supporting cast.

Can’t say Schmaltz is the answer but he’s at least brought Keller out from some of the funk he’s been in.

What about OEL??? Not really sure. I keep hoping he’ll start asserting himself more than he has.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
Rebuild in Houston? This would be a more complete team without the injuries. Dvo is sorely missed. Can't imagine rebuild is even in Chayka's mindset right now but you're right, this team needs something more aside from a healthy #1 goalie.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The team isn't going to trade OEL and a bunch of other vets, try to tank, or start over. Raanta being out hurts us but was he really ever going to handle a starters load? Kuemper/Hill have been pretty good at times, they could step up, its not impossible. We lost 2 to pretty good teams but were in both games. I would stay the course as we can still make the playoffs.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Injuries and the ill-fated Domi trade have scuttled the season. It is another lottery pick watch. I would be talking to Buffalo. They have 3 first round picks. They may like OEL as a D partner for Dahlin. I would talk to Minnesota, Pittsburgh, and Carolina about Stepan. I would offer up Goligoski for picks/prospects. I would see how we could help out Tampa Bay with their cap crunch. Toronto too. If OEL is traded you may as well trade Hjalmarrsson.

I pray a lot that the muscle pull that has sidelined top prospect Hayton for several games now - and had him in Phoenix on the weekend (visiting team Dr?) - is not something more serious like a torn groin attachment.

I would hope like heck the ownership fiasco gets sorted well before July 1st and have $ and a plan to sign 2 top 6 forwards.

Just blow it up. It has worked awesomely so far.

:baghead:

Reactions: RemoAZ

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
We have a potential star in Keller but he needs a supporting cast.

Can’t say Schmaltz is the answer but he’s at least brought Keller out from some of the funk he’s been in.

What about OEL??? Not really sure. I keep hoping he’ll start asserting himself more than he has.
What Coyote fans call a potential star, competitive teams call a top 6 forward. That's not a knock on Keller but rather a reflection on how beat down our fanbase is and the low bar we set as a result. I can't even imagine if the team had an actual bona fide star player...f***...we wouldn't even know what to do with ourselves.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think we just keep going with Chayka. Enjoy the early draft pick this year. Continue to build around what you’ve started. Get healthy and take that big step forward next year.

I actually think there are more positives this year. A first line has emerged. An elite penalty kill. Good top 4D. Depth at Center finally. A top prospect who has progressed to the point others are considering him to be an impact player. I’m enjoying this.
Next year, that is all what I have been hearing for the last ten years, but what has happened with the injuries and all is out of everyone's control. I agree, we have to stay the course and like you said, there have been many positives this year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The team isn't going to trade OEL and a bunch of other vets, try to tank, or start over. Raanta being out hurts us but was he really ever going to handle a starters load? Kuemper/Hill have been pretty good at times, they could step up, its not impossible. We lost 2 to pretty good teams but were in both games. I would stay the course as we can still make the playoffs.
I think we have to stay the course, but there will be three to five changes next year. We can't stay status quo yet as we are not good enough, but talking about a rebuild is ridiculous.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What Coyote fans call a potential star, competitive teams call a top 6 forward. That's not a knock on Keller but rather a reflection on how beat down our fanbase is and the low bar we set as a result. I can't even imagine if the team had an actual bona fide star player...****...we wouldn't even know what to do with ourselves.
Yup, we are beat down, but heading in the right direction. I just can't believe all these injuries we have.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
What Coyote fans call a potential star, competitive teams call a top 6 forward. That's not a knock on Keller but rather a reflection on how beat down our fanbase is and the low bar we set as a result. I can't even imagine if the team had an actual bona fide star player...****...we wouldn't even know what to do with ourselves.

They'd trade them away because they don't fit with RT's mold or whatever nebulous excuse they can after they've acquired them and crushed every offensive instinct they have out of them.

Ps, I'm also not super excited to draft higher. It's not like this organization has shown it can handle developing those players. Most likely is they will pick a talented player, and then also crush every offensive instinct they have out of them and make them near useless before trading them for a middle 6 "hard working guy".

Am I using hyperbole? I hope so. Am I a bit bitter that this team can't seem to ever have a superstar playing for them? Probably haha.

Reactions: Sinurgy

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The problem with blowing everything up is that we can't afford to do it without bringing in some significant cap to keep us above the floor. All of the trade targets mentioned are the same players keeping us from violating the lower end of the cap. The players we'd like to get back for guys like Stepan and Goligoski - i.e., young, plug-and-play players with upside - aren't going to be making enough to keep us above the line (the young, plug-and-play players with enough salary to help us in that area won't come our way for a return as low as Stepan or Gogo).

In other words, we're in a bit of a pickle.

Reactions: KG

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think we have to stay the course, but there will be three to five changes next year. We can't stay status quo yet as we are not good enough, but talking about a rebuild is ridiculous.
There are changes every year. We just signed OEL to a long term deal, we aren't trading him 30 games later. We are still in the hunt for a playoff spot and its still early in the season. Tanking and getting rid of our best players is not the answer. If you think about it, the Yandle trade sunk us for years in a lot of ways, we should have kept him, same with OEL.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad