NFL: Reports: Kaepernick filing grievance against owners for collusion

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Did Kaepernick ever donate to any causes that help police build relations with inner-city community's?

If I remember right that was main reason for him kneeling. From my perspective it looks like he latched on to one of the biggest problems in our country at the time, became the face of it and pushed a divisive narrative further (pig socks and all) and made millions.

I honestly think the only reason the libs made this guy some kind of hero is he triggered old white conservative dudes with the kneeling.
First result on a google search: Here is a list of every organization to which Colin Kaepernick donated money

Keep in mind that article is over a year old, so likely a lot more than that.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
So this was all about Kap getting paid? Why pretend it was about something bigger? I don't think people were saying ImwithKap because they wanted him to settle for 80 mill and sign a nda.

Reactions: Voight

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
So this was all about Kap getting paid? Why pretend it was about something bigger? I don't think people were saying ImwithKap because they wanted him to settle for 80 mill and sign a nda.
On the flip side...

The NFL didn't want the truth out there so they paid to make the problem go away and an NDA means the real story will never be heard. The fact that is worth 80 million to them means the truth was pretty damaging.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

He challenged the system which prevented him from getting paid as a player, yes.

The history of the NFL vs. players in court is a very good one for the players.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
This doesn’t make sense. What else could have come from it?

People know what happened. People know the league paid through the nose to cover this up. And now Kaep has a massive pile of money he can use to continue supporting the causes he does.

I think the people who support him are going to be very happy about the outcome because he won.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
This doesn’t make sense. What else could have come from it?

People know what happened. People know the league paid through the nose to cover this up. And now Kaep has a massive pile of money he can use to continue supporting the causes he does.

I think the people who support him are going to be very happy about the outcome because he won.

Some yes and some no. Some people are calling him a sellout and the main sticking point is the nda. The original message was never about the NFL but police brutality so he says. He signed a deal and his play fell off and he realized he was never seeing all that money so he decided to stir some stuff up. That's why he settled for 80 mill and the amount he missed out on his contract. That's what he feels he's owed and what it's all been about. So really this was all about the NFL and their contracts so if he doesn't settle and sign a nda maybe the truth comes out and the league changes it ways for the next players. So I can see why people and players are upset and calling him a sellout. He was never honest about the real issue from the beginning anyways.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Astounding how many people here think this implies guilt for the NFL. Even the $60 mil number that's out there is less than $2 mil/owner, chump change. Now it's out of the news and the confidentiality agreement means it's not coming back.

For all the people that think the NFL settled because they knew they colluded and knew Kaep could prove it, think of it this way. Maybe Kaep took the settlement because he knew he had no case and wanted to get it over with? For someone out to prove the corruption of a billion dollar industry, he sure didn't stick to his guns did he?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Astounding how many people here think this implies guilt for the NFL. Even the $60 mil number that's out there is less than $2 mil/owner, chump change. Now it's out of the news and the confidentiality agreement means it's not coming back.

For all the people that think the NFL settled because they knew they colluded and knew Kaep could prove it, think of it this way. Maybe Kaep took the settlement because he knew he had no case and wanted to get it over with? For someone out to prove the corruption of a billion dollar industry, he sure didn't stick to his guns did he?
For the owners, $1.5 million per is $48 million. Even upping to $2.5 million per takes it to $80 million which is the top of the line in terms of the rumoured settlement number. That’s chump change to them.

Is that amount worth ending this? Saves legal fees, their own time in dealing with it, plus they want all anthem related protests to end and hope this will make it end.

Whether any teams colluded to keep Kaepernick out, I can legitimately see reasons for the majority of teams to not want to sign the guy. If he’s the only player being asked questions about protests and stuff then the team would not care. But it’s likely to spill into the other players and coaches, then teams feel it’s a distraction that they can do without.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Some yes and some no. Some people are calling him a sellout and the main sticking point is the nda. The original message was never about the NFL but police brutality so he says. He signed a deal and his play fell off and he realized he was never seeing all that money so he decided to stir some stuff up. That's why he settled for 80 mill and the amount he missed out on his contract. That's what he feels he's owed and what it's all been about. So really this was all about the NFL and their contracts so if he doesn't settle and sign a nda maybe the truth comes out and the league changes it ways for the next players. So I can see why people and players are upset and calling him a sellout. He was never honest about the real issue from the beginning anyways.
That’s what you think the entire thing was about?? That’s your prerogative I guess.

Most likely scenario is that he knew that collusion would be difficult to prove and he did not have the smoking gun hard evidence that would prove it beyond any doubt. He feels that he is owed money because they league prevented him from continuing his high-paying career, so of course it was about getting paid, that’s the primary purpose of any lawsuit.

If you feel the entire kneeling and activism was about getting paid, you would agree there is no reason for him to use any of the money he got for his cause. However I don’t doubt you will see him continue to be a champion for justice for victims of police violence against minorities.

Reactions: donghabs98

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He also won this fight.

Its personal opinion, but I disagree. If there was real evidence of collusion, he wouldn't of settled. Its not like this will get him back to the NFL. Depositions given by the likes of Jones and McNair will never become public and he cant talk about it without incurring a massive lawsuit. Like I said below, it could easily be a situation where his lawyers don't see an easy win and there being a good chance of him losing, thus they agree to settle knowing the NFL will accept and write him a quick cheque.

On the flip side...

The NFL didn't want the truth out there so they paid to make the problem go away and an NDA means the real story will never be heard. The fact that is worth 80 million to them means the truth was pretty damaging.

On the flip flip side.... Kaepernick didn't really have a good/concrete case, so his lawyers proposed to just settle this. NFL agrees so it becomes a non story and they never have to hear about him, racial injustice, or anthem protests again. Goodell wants the headlines to only be about how great the league is doing, look no further than the massive settlement they gave regarding the CTE crisis. It got worse for him when politics become involved and it spread to other leagues.

80 million is peanuts for the NFL and its owners. Its really not worth much to them, you'd be a fool to think them paying him 80 million means anything more than a "get out of our hair" cheque.

Didn't Reid talk crap about Malcolm Jenkins for accepting money from the NFL?

Am i misremembering?

IIRC Jenkins didn't take money, he just made the league start committing money to fighting social and racial injustices/issues. At the NFLPA's discretion.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
So then Reid did take money while Jenkins actually did something beneficial? What a hypocrite

Also, i don't have an issue with Kaep, but Reid doing that is douchy

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Reid did say that Jenkins sold out, I think was what he said, and Kaepernick backed him up on it.

There was definitely a separation between Kaepernick/Reid and everyone else like Jenkins who have been willing to reciprocate the NFL’s desire to work with them.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
80 million is nothing and if that was all it cost the league to have Kaep stop saying they cost him a job, I say they won this.

I agree. Bottom line is Kaepernick is the one who brought the suit, made the allegations, etc. It should have been up to him and his legal team to bear the burden of proof, to show the evidence that the league had this dastardly conspiracy in place. If his legal team was so sure of victory, why settle? Why accept a settlement when you can publish the proof, win money and also expose and embarrass the league?

He obviously didn't have proof or he wouldn't have settled. What the league paid is nothing and now everyone can move on. The anthem protests basically died anyway even before last season started, the great "cause" vanished like a fart in the wind. Ratings and merchandise sales shot back up and until the stupidity in the NFC title game and the horrible Super Bowl, the league had a fantastic year.

But on top of it now it clearly looks like Kaepernick was only out for money, which so many suspected so it's nice to see it proven now. And let's be frank, his "cause" was always shaky to begin with. If a cop shoots someone maliciously they should be prosecuted like any other criminal. But the number of times that actually has happened (actually happened, not media-driven hysteria before any facts come in) is so absurdly minimal compared to the narrative.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if any NFL team still touches him now. There's so much negativity around him and now with him proven to be just after a check, signing him would be a poison to whichever team is dumb enough to do so.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If 80 millions is such pocket money, why did it take longer than 5 minutes to settle?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad