NFL: Reports: Kaepernick filing grievance against owners for collusion

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
His goal was to punish the league for what the league did to him, and he accomplished that. I’m not sure what else you think he was supposed to do.

How exactly did he punish them? By making them write an $80 M check that they will make back in a matter of days? He didn't prove collusion or anything else. Its not far off from when celebs settle suits/allegations by writing a check just to rid themselves of it.

If 80 millions is such pocket money, why did it take longer than 5 minutes to settle?

I have a feeling Kaepernicks side wanted to settle. Its possible they didn't have enough evidence to win out right and knew the NFL would settle in a heartbeat. Plus if Kaepernick had settled right away it would look like the most blatant money grab in history and his cause would have lost all support.

Reactions: Duke33

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Again, worth mentioning again apparently. In the history of the NFL vs. the players in court, the courts most often ruled favorably for the players. And the NFL knows that. Their lawyers know that. And the players lawyers definitely know it.

Reactions: Voight

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
How exactly did he punish them? By making them write an $80 M check that they will make back in a matter of days? He didn't prove collusion or anything else. Its not far off from when celebs settle suits/allegations by writing a check just to rid themselves of it.

I have a feeling Kaepernicks side wanted to settle. Its possible they didn't have enough evidence to win out right and knew the NFL would settle in a heartbeat. Plus if Kaepernick had settled right away it would look like the most blatant money grab in history and his cause would have lost all support.
You may not think $80 million is a lot of money, but it is. Lawsuits are settled to make them go away all the time, but not for $80 million.

The kind of damages he was likely to see even if he won his lawsuit were largely going to be based on lost earnings, and I think $80 million is probably quite a bit more than what he’d have earned the rest of his career had he finished playing as a journeyman starter/backup. He was made more than whole by this settlement, which is a win.

I don’t know why you’re so insistent on finding some ulterior motive here or trying to pretend the NFL giving him double his career earnings as a player is anything but a big win.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
He obviously didn't have proof or he wouldn't have settled.
that's an incredibly silly statement
if he had settled for something like 8 million instead of 80, I'd be inclined to probably agree with you
the amount of money they [the NFL] has or earns here is irrelevant
I'm a lawyer and have seen huge insurance companies fight tooth and nail over tiny amounts of money, thousands, in cases and settlement conferences
it's likely here that he could have proceeded with the case, won at trial, "embarrassed" the NFL, and received less than 80 million in a judgment against the NFL

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
that's an incredibly silly statement
if he had settled for something like 8 million instead of 80, I'd be inclined to probably agree with you
the amount of money they [the NFL] has or earns here is irrelevant
I'm a lawyer and have seen huge insurance companies fight tooth and nail over tiny amounts of money, thousands, in cases and settlement conferences
it's likely here that he could have proceeded with the case, won at trial, "embarrassed" the NFL, and received less than 80 million in a judgment against the NFL

Nobody knows what's likely with this guy. Again since the burden of proof was on him and his camp as the bringer of the suit and the questionable accusations (I mean what did people expect, an email or something would be produced from Goodell to all the teams saying "don't sign this man!") you'd think he would be the one to want to push this all the way.

He didn't. He took the money and ran, for lack of a better phrase. The NFL is happy to make this go away I'm sure even if the settlement might make some people say see Kap was right! Which the same people would say regardless of the outcome. Either way it's over. Really it's been over but now we can all move on and there's still not a single shred of proof for his ridiculous accusations.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX

Couldn't have said all this better myself.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Really it's been over but now we can all move on and there's still not a single shred of proof for his ridiculous accusations.

His claim passed summary judgment when the NFL attempted to have it thrown out for lack of evidence. The judge decided there was plenty of evidence. This is 100% fact, no way to play games around that fact. Either you're lying or ignorant.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
League didn't want to get exposed and made a deal when they'll spend millions to fight bs battles like if a ball was deflated or not.

Anyone who thinks Kap lost or sold out is an idiot. Anyone with a speck of nuance can see the league paying him and Reid off and having them sign nda's says all that needs to be said.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Well, NDA's are extremely standard procedure in settlements, but there was an very obvious way to avoid the NDA.
... Not settle.
His end game was getting back lost earnings. 80 million more than does that.

People will continue to try and steer the narrative in multiple directions, but he got what he wanted.

Reactions: donghabs98

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

People will continue to try and steer the narrative in multiple directions, but he got what he wanted.

Oh, I don't disagree with that. Pro athletes aren't in the business of charity, and I don't know why there's a double standard with Kaepernick.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Oh, I don't disagree with that. Pro athletes aren't in the business of charity, and I don't know where there's a double standard with Kaepernick.
It's strictly political. Which is too bad, because he's done a lot of good things with his platform and money to help others.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
You may not think $80 million is a lot of money, but it is. Lawsuits are settled to make them go away all the time, but not for $80 million.

The kind of damages he was likely to see even if he won his lawsuit were largely going to be based on lost earnings, and I think $80 million is probably quite a bit more than what he’d have earned the rest of his career had he finished playing as a journeyman starter/backup. He was made more than whole by this settlement, which is a win.

I don’t know why you’re so insistent on finding some ulterior motive here or trying to pretend the NFL giving him double his career earnings as a player is anything but a big win.

Again, 80 million is relative peanuts when you re talking about a 18 billion dollar enterprise. Thats a lot of money for anyone but for them it really isn't.

My point is, sure its a "win" because hes now got a ton of money but this did 0 damage to the NFL (compared to say when they finally acknowledged CTE) and he literally proved nothing. I don't know if the owners colluded or not but the NFL got away scot free and now have this PR mess out of their hair. Thats a win for them.

I thought it was to prove the owners colluded against him because he kneeled?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
solid cash grab by Kaep I guess. Take that bag and run with it. Wonder if he tries out for any teams this offseason and if he has continued training this whole time?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Again, 80 million is relative peanuts when you re talking about a 18 billion dollar enterprise. Thats a lot of money for anyone but for them it really isn't.

My point is, sure its a "win" because hes now got a ton of money but this did 0 damage to the NFL (compared to say when they finally acknowledged CTE) and he literally proved nothing. I don't know if the owners colluded or not but the NFL got away scot free and now have this PR mess out of their hair. Thats a win for them.
The problem here is you have set an unrealistic and unattainable threshold all because you don't want to give him any credit. You're comparing one lawsuit from one guy to the concussion lawsuits where THOUSANDS of players sued the league. Yeah, the payout total for one with thousands of people suing was higher, but look under the hood. The most any player suing over a concussion is getting is $5 million.

So Kaepernick is getting as much as 16 times more from the league than any player who is living with the most severe concussion.

Yet you're still going to say his lawsuit wasn't a success.

Reactions: Clowe Me

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Oh, I don't disagree with that. Pro athletes aren't in the business of charity, and I don't know why there's a double standard with Kaepernick.

Maybe because Kaepernick pretended this was all about police brutality? If he just came out from the beginning and admitted it was because he wasn't getting the rest of the 80 mill of his contract that he deserved. But then again nobody would have gave a shit and "ImwithKap"

The only regret in all of this is we'll never know what the proof was the nfl is trying to bury.

Just like when they burned the spygate tapes.

Reactions: Duke33 and Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It was, since they wouldn't sign him.

Whether it was for non-football reasons or not, we'll never know.

The problem here is you have set an unrealistic and unattainable threshold all because you don't want to give him any credit. You're comparing one lawsuit from one guy to the concussion lawsuits where THOUSANDS of players sued the league. Yeah, the payout total for one with thousands of people suing was higher, but look under the hood. The most any player suing over a concussion is getting is $5 million.

So Kaepernick is getting as much as 16 times more from the league than any player who is living with the most severe concussion.

Yet you're still going to say his lawsuit wasn't a success.

I don't think you quite understood what I said.

Again, yea its a success considering he got a free 80 million but at the same time it didn't help his cause at all. Zilch. There is still 0 evidence proving collusion, he'll still Never play in the NFL again (likely anyway) and the NFL rids itself of this mess.

At the end of the day its obvious there wasn't any solid evidence that there was collusion between the owners otherwise he would have kept the court battle going. Congrats to him for bowing down and taking a massive payout but he can expect.a credibility hit at the same time.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Why would Kaepernick have kept the court battle going, and why again does he have to meet a higher standard than anyone else here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->