NFL: Reports: Kaepernick filing grievance against owners for collusion

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i'd assume NFL owners would've wanted to bury kaep badly in court and not give him penny if there was zero evidence and/or there wasn't some other damaging stuff that had come out in the court. they would've also gotten rid of this mess that way too, in a superior way. would've made kaep look a lot worse.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
We do know why, that's why they just handed him $80M.

No proof.

Why would Kaepernick have kept the court battle going, and why again does he have to meet a higher standard than anyone else here?

To make them look real bad and get even more $$$.I get he just wanted what his contract owed or whatever but if the ball was really in his court he could have gone thru with the process, made the NFL look awful and been handed an even bigger bag of cash.

At the end of the day hes 60 or 80 million richer than he was a week ago and the NFL has this mess taken care of just in time for free agency.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I don't think you quite understood what I said.

Again, yea its a success considering he got a free 80 million but at the same time it didn't help his cause at all. Zilch. There is still 0 evidence proving collusion, he'll still Never play in the NFL again (likely anyway) and the NFL rids itself of this mess.

At the end of the day its obvious there wasn't any solid evidence that there was collusion between the owners otherwise he would have kept the court battle going. Congrats to him for bowing down and taking a massive payout but he can expect.a credibility hit at the same time.
Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about. No company, no matter how rich they are, forks over $80 million just to make something go away. The evidence is in the payout, even though you refuse to admit it. The fact he's going to get 16 times the payout of anyone in the concussion case tells you what kind of evidence he uncovered.

To make them look real bad and get even more $$$.I get he just wanted what his contract owed or whatever but if the ball was really in his court he could have gone thru with the process, made the NFL look awful and been handed an even bigger bag of cash.
What tells you there was more money to be had if this goes to trial? Exactly how much. What are his claims worth? Please tell us what your years of experience with commercial litigation work tell you this case was worth had he gone to a jury and won?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Maybe because Kaepernick pretended this was all about police brutality? If he just came out from the beginning and admitted it was because he wasn't getting the rest of the 80 mill of his contract that he deserved. But then again nobody would have gave a **** and "ImwithKap"

Just like when they burned the spygate tapes.
"This"

Are you referring to the lawsuit, or the kneeling and activism? Yes, the purpose of the lawsuit was to win, preferably by proving collusion in court but barring that settling for $$$ that he believes the league prevented him from earning fairly. No, the purpose of the kneeling and activism was not to assume he would not be able to get a job so that he can sue the league for collusion, and have enough evidence for it to go far enough along for the league to want to settle for a significant amount of money (to him).

Reactions: Clowe Me

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Again, yea its a success considering he got a free 80 million but at the same time it didn't help his cause at all. Zilch. There is still 0 evidence proving collusion, he'll still Never play in the NFL again (likely anyway) and the NFL rids itself of this mess.

At the end of the day its obvious there wasn't any solid evidence that there was collusion between the owners otherwise he would have kept the court battle going. Congrats to him for bowing down and taking a massive payout but he can expect.a credibility hit at the same time.

I don't know how many times this needs to be repeated.

The case was already in court. The NFL tried to have the case thrown out claiming a lack of evidence. Kaepernick's team fought that attempt by showing the evidence they had.

The arbitrator allowed the suit to proceed to trial and rejected the NFL's attempt to throw the case out. I will repeat this again. A billion dollar company tried to throw the case out, failed, and the arbitrator decided that there was enough evidence that the NFL colluded against Kaepernick to allow this to proceed.

That means there was evidence. This is beyond dispute or argument. It is a 100% fact. Someone, somewhere, sent Kap's legal team some kind of evidence of collusion. It doesn't mean that the case would have decided in Kap's favor, but there was already evidence in Kaepernick's possession prior to discovery and depositions.

Have you read any of the material in the depositions? Stephen Ross outright says that they talked about this subject in league meetings, because the owners really are so dumb that they had to discuss this amongst each other. Jerry Jones was the one who introduced the subject. NFL owners are apparently as dumb as a lot of people think the players are.

They made Kap a godfather offer because that's better than losing even more. They may not have lost, but something made the NFL think they would. You don't get rich by giving away money for every bogus lawsuit.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
"This"

Are you referring to the lawsuit, or the kneeling and activism? Yes, the purpose of the lawsuit was to win, preferably by proving collusion in court but barring that settling for $$$ that he believes the league prevented him from earning fairly. No, the purpose of the kneeling and activism was not to assume he would not be able to get a job so that he can sue the league for collusion, and have enough evidence for it to go far enough along for the league to want to settle for a significant amount of money (to him).

You can prove this how?

Reactions: Voight

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
You can prove this how?
"Prove", as in beyond a shadow of a doubt in a court of law? No, I suppose I cannot prove it.

But using logic and common sense I have come to that conclusion. It makes a lot more sense than a long convoluted plan that requires several unpredictable reactions on responses for many different people.

Again, if this 80 mil was his end game, we'd expect to never hear from him again on the subject of police brutality and racial injustice, right? So I suppose whether he continues to champion his cause or not will give us an idea of his true motives.

Reactions: Pestilence

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
"Prove", as in beyond a shadow of a doubt in a court of law? No, I suppose I cannot prove it.

But using logic and common sense I have come to that conclusion. It makes a lot more sense than a long convoluted plan that requires several unpredictable reactions on responses for many different people.

Again, if this 80 mil was his end game, we'd expect to never hear from him again on the subject of police brutality and racial injustice, right? So I suppose whether he continues to champion his cause or not will give us an idea of his true motives.

The fact he's even willing to comeback is beyond me. So when he plays next year and doesn't kneel you will admit I was right and it was all about 80 million?

Reactions: Voight

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The fact he's even willing to comeback is beyond me. So when he plays next year and doesn't kneel you will admit I was right and it was all about 80 million?
I highly doubt he ever puts on an NFL uniform again. But if he does, that has nothing to do with the kneeling only being about money. He believe he is still an NFL calibre quarterback, I don't see why he wouldn't want to still play if he is given a chance. If he plays and doesn't kneel, I'd be interested to see if there would be some sort of contractual obligation preventing him from doing so. Don't forget, he wasn't kneeling for the sake of kneeling. It was one way to bring attention to his cause and a form of protest for his cause.

If he continues to support his cause, by kneeling or otherwise, would you admit it wasn't just about the $80 million?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I highly doubt he ever puts on an NFL uniform again. But if he does, that has nothing to do with the kneeling only being about money. He believe he is still an NFL calibre quarterback, I don't see why he wouldn't want to still play if he is given a chance. If he plays and doesn't kneel, I'd be interested to see if there would be some sort of contractual obligation preventing him from doing so. Don't forget, he wasn't kneeling for the sake of kneeling. It was one way to bring attention to his cause and a form of protest for his cause.

If he continues to support his cause, by kneeling or otherwise, would you admit it wasn't just about the $80 million?
Think he already siad he would forego kneeling if that is what it took to get a job.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
NFL didn't settle with Brady. NFL didn't settle with Elliot. NFL didn't settle with Peterson.

They did settle with Kaep and Reid. Because they knew they would lose.

It’s not even that necessarily, they just didn’t want their dirty laundry coming out in discovery. Clearly they had ‘something’ blackmailable on the league, whether it was enough to legally prove collusion or not we’ll never know. Probably would have been enough from a PR standpoint though.

Sep 19, 2008
Every time I point out the obvious and then people want to argue but the fact of the matter is his last season with the Niners was AWFUL.

He was benched repeatedly and put up terrible stats. Then he gambled on testing the FA market and nobody signed him.

It has nothing to do with protests or franchises losing face by signing mr Anthem man. It has to do with the obvious fact that he cannot play professional football at an elite level.

"But what about taking a bench role"

What if he doesn't want a bench role? What if he still thinks he can start in this league?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Every time I point out the obvious and then people want to argue but the fact of the matter is his last season with the Niners was AWFUL.

He was benched repeatedly and put up terrible stats. Then he gambled on testing the FA market and nobody signed him.

It has nothing to do with protests or franchises losing face by signing mr Anthem man. It has to do with the obvious fact that he cannot play professional football at an elite level.

What if he doesn't want a bench role? What if he still thinks he can start in this league?

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

people argue because you're wrong. Like always.

Gabbert started the season because kap had offseason shoulder surgery that hadn't healed yet. When he was cleared to play Chip Kelly put him in because, per his mouth, Kap gave them the best chance to win. (Which wasn't much with that roster)

16 td/4 int with his top wr being Jeremy Kerley. He did as well as anyone could on that garbage roster.

49ers were going to cut him, so he instead opted out to get a jump start on fa. No matter how Elway tries to lie and rewrite history, the only time he tried to bring kap in was his last season in SF when he wanted the qb to cut his base pay from 13m to 7m. He would have been a f***ing moron to do that.

Sep 19, 2008
people argue because you're wrong. Like always.

Gabbert started the season because kap had offseason shoulder surgery that hadn't healed yet. When he was cleared to play Chip Kelly put him in because, per his mouth, Kap gave them the best chance to win. (Which wasn't much with that roster)

16 td/4 int with his top wr being Jeremy Kerley. He did as well as anyone could on that garbage roster.

49ers were going to cut him, so he instead opted out to get a jump start on fa. No matter how Elway tries to lie and rewrite history, the only time he tried to bring kap in was his last season in SF when he wanted the qb to cut his base pay from 13m to 7m. He would have been a ****ing moron to do that.
they won one game in kelly's last year

they were AWFUL

Kapernick was AWFUL

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
why are you arguing then if you're basically admitting the team was bad :laugh:
I've always said that 49er team was as bad as any I've ever seen. That's used to praise Kap's play, not insult it like you do.

Prime Brady wouldn't have done anything with that dumpster fire.

Oct 18, 2011
As someone who has supported Kap and thinks he belongs in the league it's disappointing he did not let the evidence come to light if they had any but I also don't know what dirt they have on him which the NFL likely does

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Kaep sold out for 80 million. Such a paltry sum. Good thing he has his endorsement deal with Nike to fall back on. Now you too can #selloutwithkaep and purchase his limited edition ICON jersey!

Sep 19, 2008
You keep going to this and it is objectively incorrect

No it's not. He did so poorly that nobody else wanted to give him a chance afterwards as they shouldn't have. His play decreased dramatically after the SB year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad