NFL: Reports: Kaepernick filing grievance against owners for collusion

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
No it's not. He did so poorly that nobody else wanted to give him a chance afterwards as they shouldn't have. His play decreased dramatically after the SB year.

The Broncos were trying to work out a deal and Seattle cancelled a workout. So, again, objectively incorrect. Unless this is like a trope to be intentionally obtuse to the discussion that's already going on. You don't get handed $80M if your line of thinking is the truth.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Non pay wall

Report: Kaepernick, Reid received under $10M in collusion settlement

Legal experts believe Kaepernick faced "a difficult path" to winning his grievance but also say the former quarterback would have received a lot more money if he'd won in court, Beaton reported.

"If Mr. Kaepernick had won his grievance, the league's collective bargaining agreement with its players would have entitled him to damages worth up to three times what an arbitrator determined he lost as a result of the collusion," Beaton wrote, while adding that meant Kaepernick could have been awarded $90 million in a ruling.

Not far off from what I thought, it was going to be a tough case and the NFL just wanted to be done with it, hence the lower settlement. The early reports did seem excessive.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So your saying the WSJ is fake news?

But media/Kaep supporters running with sources that claimed $60-$100M fine and true?

Don't know why I should believe this over the original, he didn't even cite sources. Mike Freeman, cited what NFL teams were speculating to him. I'm pretty sure the difference isn't $50-70 million.

Pick who you choose to believe I guess. I'll wait for something more credible.

But since this is the scope of the topic right now, $10M as opposed to $60M would assuredly be a huge loss.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Yeah I'm going to go with the WSJ over the many uncredited sources that were being tossed around after the initial settlement. Nothing surprising here. The burden of proof was on him as I've said all along, and the fact he got basically a bone thrown by the NFL shows there was nothing credible or damaging.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You're going to go with the side that supports your opinion. Everyone is.

One guy cited NFL team officials.

The other cited 'people briefed on the deal.' Couldn't even attach 'sources' much less anonymous ones. And isn't getting backed up. Maybe he will, who is to say.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX

The other cited 'people briefed on the deal.' Couldn't even attach 'sources' much less anonymous ones. And isn't getting backed up. Maybe he will, who is to say.

You still aren't seeing the main point. He is the one who claimed collusion. He is the one who sued the NFL. If there was something, prove it. This issue is dead otherwise. It's not surprising at all that the settlement was less than 10 mil between him and Reid. That hardly screams that the NFL was desperate to keep something hidden, as many claimed. Time for us all to move on.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
You still aren't seeing the main point. He is the one who claimed collusion. He is the one who sued the NFL. If there was something, prove it. This issue is dead otherwise. It's not surprising at all that the settlement was less than 10 mil between him and Reid. That hardly screams that the NFL was desperate to keep something hidden, as many claimed. Time for us all to move on.
This is all assuming the wsj report is accurate.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
This is all assuming the wsj report is accurate.

Agreed. WSJ might not be accurate.

Though as time passes on and journalists have more time to investigate and get sources the later reports usually become closer to the truth then the earlier ones. It's not like WSJ would have some agenda to promote a higher or lower settlement figure.

Reactions: Voight and DaaaaB's

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

We did move on. And then a writer puts out a report where he's unwilling to cite any sources. Is he right? Is there an agenda? I don't know. Who is saying that it's less than $10M, because I've got a reporter who said NFL teams speculated on a much larger number - that was never officially put in stone as a report, but at least I know who was telling him those numbers while this other guy could've been told by his mailman.

Agreed. WSJ might not be accurate.

Though as time passes on and journalists have more time to investigate and get sources the later reports usually become closer to the truth then the earlier ones. It's not like WSJ would have some agenda to promote a higher or lower settlement figure.
The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Sakicfan

Oct 30, 2006

Normally I would agree with you, but the one guy who cited NFL team officials is known to be a liar and has already been fired because of that. So I would not trust him when he is our only source.

I can't say that the WSJ report is true, but Mike Freeman is not a reputable source of information and we should not listen to him.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Normally I would agree with you, but the one guy who cited NFL team officials is known to be a liar and has already been fired because of that. So I would not trust him when he is our only source.

I can't say that the WSJ report is true, but Mike Freeman is not a reputable source of information and we should not listen to him.
Interesting that there is such a massive spread in numbers. $10 mill seems low for Kaepernick to settle but $60-$80 million seemed too high for the NFL to want to pay out.

Would have expected something like $500k to $1 mill per team for $16 to $32 mill range would have made sense.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Interesting that there is such a massive spread in numbers. $10 mill seems low for Kaepernick to settle but $60-$80 million seemed too high for the NFL to want to pay out.

Would have expected something like $500k to $1 mill per team for $16 to $32 mill range would have made sense.

Why would that make sense?

We still have zero information on the merits of the Kaepernick grievance against the NFL. All we know is that both parties agreed to settle.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
NFL teams did not want to deal with the potential repercussions of signing Kaepernick. Collusion or not, they are cowards who surrendered to the demands of nationalists.

When the Boston Red Sox refused to sign black players in the 1950s they had the same basic argument: they weren't colluding, it was just politically controversial and bad for business.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
NFL teams did not want to deal with the potential repercussions of signing Kaepernick. Collusion or not, they are cowards who surrendered to the demands of nationalists.

When the Boston Red Sox refused to sign black players in the 1950s they had the same basic argument: they weren't colluding, it was just politically controversial and bad for business.

The Allen Family surrendered to Trump?

:biglaugh:

The only people that actually think the Seahawks actually needed him were the trolls on ESPN who wanted him to replace Russell Wilson.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Legal experts believe Kaepernick faced "a difficult path" to winning his grievance but also say the former quarterback would have received a lot more money if he'd won in court, Beaton reported.

He was in for a long and hard fight. He could risk it and get more, or take the guaranteed $$$ and not be greedy. Clearly he didn't have fail proof evidence.

He's got a contract with Nike anyhow & a lot of celebrity endorsers so financially he'll be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad