Report: Rangers granted permission to interview Gallant for HC vacancy

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think it's more likely that Gallant butts heads with his bosses, and management gets tired of him quickly because of it.
I think this is probably closest to the truth.

Hopefully Gallant has mellowed a little and learned from experience. And hopefully Drury has thick skin. Conflict is good. Channel it wisely, boys!

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Has anyone ventured to the Vegas boards to see how that fanbase feels about Gallant? They were good with him, they've been good without him; would be interesting to see what the consensus is over there.

Most fans that I talk to here in the city & on the Vegas board here still don't think the coaching change was necessary & still aren't sold on DeBoer & his system. They feel he's reaping the benefit of Gallant laying the groundwork & he's been gifted a roster that is built to compete for the foreseeable future in a weak division.

Granted, there's a lot of new hockey fans here that wanted to keep the entire team from the inaugural season in tact in perpetuity. They still pine to bring back Haula & Neal, etc.

I think most astute fans here realize Gallant had his warts, but was really unlucky in that Game 7 loss to San Jose, then the next season when the goaltending was AHL level & the team was ridiculously snakebitten. The move felt impulsive at the time(sound familiar?) & nothing that's come to light in the past season has really altered that thinking.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yes, and I don't think the Rangers ever got over that. They've tried to address it by getting #ToughGuys for years.

I think they're now realizing that stapling idiots who can't skate at all (Howden, Andersson, Lemieux) onto a fast-break system isn't getting them that result.

It requires a cycling system that your skill players also buy into. The fact that most of our skill forwards aren't Olympic sprinters to begin with makes it actually make sense, unlike in '14 and '15 where we actually had speed, should have just said "oh well, sometimes you lose" and continued to improve at what we were good at.

Instead, we cut good skaters, doubled down on aging defensemen, and brought in Tanner Glass so they could play the same speed system they were failing in.

The Rangers may be looking for another Tanner Glass before the offseason is over. Just saying. Examples—the Kings have a guy in the AHL named Boko Imama or the Red Wings have a guy who’s been an up down and up down in Givani Smith. Either could fit the role of 4th liner for the Rangers. Both of them are seriously tough. But there are others too.

Reactions: leetch99

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Babcock has all the credentials but in the end the team he iced in Toronto was soft. No logic to hire him.
Gallant did take Vegas to the final. There they were way to soft against Washington.
My guess is that Tortorella is back.

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
Quinn got the best career seasons from Panarin, Zibanejad, Buchnevich, and Fox turned into a top-3 Dman.

And I hear Quinn might be available.
And yet his team looked unprepared often. He wont coach in the NHL again.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Funny you post this, I just watched the Probert doc this week.

Gallant was one of his pallbearers
Gallant has always remained tight with his Detroit crew . Yzerman has made appearances over the years in the off season at various golfing events with Gallant . I met Probert and Gallant one Saturday night in a local bar ....Probert was gigantic . Just a couple of guys out for a beer 30 years ago on a Saturday night . Hockey bonds remain forever .

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
LOL...I'm done....have fun playing with yourself . My life coach/Dad always told me to never bother arguing when you know you are right .:D

If you can't answer, you can't answer.

Ever notice that those who LOL at their own musings are usually those without a sense of humor?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I dont disagree... to an extent.

I think a coach can have a negative effect on a player in how they perform whether its minutes distributed, who they play them with, what they ask of that player taking away from what got them drafted where they are or to the NHL.

Sure, but it's temporary.

It won't alter the success or failure of a player's career, like at least one idiot here believes.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
And yet his team looked unprepared often. He wont coach in the NHL again.

We can't possibly know that.

Lots of coaches stay on the carousel for decades despite being fired time after time.

He'll most likely re-appear as an assistant, somewhere and someday get another head coaching job.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
This concern seems odd. Is there any reason you think he’d be like, a double agent for Stevie Y? I am just confused.
I know I am overthinking this. Worried about Yzerman talking advantage of what seems to be a very congenial Gallant. If Gallant gets the job, that Yzerman under the guise of just a friendly phone call draws out Gallant’s opinion on his players or what direction our rebuild will now be heading. Then Yzerman using that knowledge in trade deals with Drury and who Detroit will ahead of the Rangers that they might have waited later in the draft to pick draft
Now that I typing it out I am seeing that this thought of mine seems unrealistic and unwarranted.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
We can't possibly know that.

Lots of coaches stay on the carousel for decades despite being fired time after time.

He'll most likely re-appear as an assistant, somewhere and someday get another head coaching job.

He’s likely heading back to college to be a HC. I would be a bit surprised if he wanted an AC role.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
The Rangers may be looking for another Tanner Glass before the offseason is over. Just saying. Examples—the Kings have a guy in the AHL named Boko Imama or the Red Wings have a guy who’s been an up down and up down in Givani Smith. Either could fit the role of 4th liner for the Rangers. Both of them are seriously tough. But there are others too.
knowing the Rangers track record they'll pass on those young tough guys and sign Zac Rinaldo :help:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Gallant on accountability - sounds quite different than Quinn.

This is great. This is trust. Sounds a bit hokey. And not everyone necessarily deserves to be trusted. But at this level and assuming you’re on the same page with the guys building the roster, trust is the best way forward. Love it. I’ve never heard a coach speak this way, actually.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I know I am overthinking this. Worried about Yzerman talking advantage of what seems to be a very congenial Gallant. If Gallant gets the job, that Yzerman under the guise of just a friendly phone call draws out Gallant’s opinion on his players or what direction our rebuild will now be heading. Then Yzerman using that knowledge in trade deals with Drury and who Detroit will ahead of the Rangers that they might have waited later in the draft to pick draft
Now that I typing it out I am seeing that this thought of mine seems unrealistic and unwarranted.
Holy conspiracy theory....

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Staal returning to NY for Laf and Kakko?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad