Report: Rangers granted permission to interview Gallant for HC vacancy

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Its always good to interview as many potentials as you can. Never know if the the coach you hire wants to bring them in as an assistant or if the future holds some other unlikely fortune where its necessary to hire another coach within a few years.

Good to hear that Torts and Roy were only phone calls and not person to person because I dont think either of them would be a good fit. Right now my bet is its Gallants job unless Sullivan, Brind'Amour or Cassidy become available and want the job. And even if Cassidy becomes available I think Drury sticks with Gallant.
Frightening that Babcock is seemingly on a higher tier than anyone at all, even if it’s 2021 Torts

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I’m assuming that you’re in favor of one of them, so I’d love to hear why.

I’ll start with Tocchet. Arizona’s shitshow management has been well characterized, but they’ve definitely had some really good talent to work with throughout his tenure. The biggest red flag is how he’s failed to properly utilize the elite young talent he’s had in place with Keller, Hayton, and Strome. That’s a massive red flag to me, especially considering where we are as an organization, and the established talent he’s had has seemingly regressed under him (Goligoski, Kessel, OEL, etc.).

Not really trying to defend Tocchet but I'm not sure I'd call any of those young guys "elite" young talent and the other guys you mention are basically on the downsides of their careers anyways. I don't think that's as much to work with as you make it sound.

But yeah I'm not really interested in Tocchet

Hartley hasn’t done shit in the NHL in over two decades with an absolutely loaded Avs roster. When he coached again with Calgary, that team was hilariously bad and was basically the six-goalie system on steroids. Again, they had good young talent in the org that didn’t do much until he left. Plus, it’s been reported here and by others that the dude is just a total prick to be around. I don’t see any value in bringing in a dinosaur with this group of players.

Sure, he won a KHL championship, but who cares? That’s not going to translate to the NHL considering how vast the talent discrepancy is in the KHL between teams.

Yeah I don't get why people around the league still "respect" Hartley as a coach at this point.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I wonder if St. Louis is still interested in coaching. Not that I'd hire him as a HC but a former player with a lot of knowledge about the game and how it's changing, and somebody who commands a ton of respect in hockey, I could see him being a great fit as an AC here.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
excerpt from recent TheAthletic article

Blue Jackets Sunday Gathering: Gerard Gallant's redemption, John Tortorella wanted to quit a year earlier
Gallant was with the Blue Jackets in their first seven seasons in Columbus, including three as head coach. Those were incredibly turbulent seasons, and Gallant was caught in an almost impossible situation — the Blue Jackets’ roster was woefully undertalented, plus he was caught in the awkward position of working for his lifelong friend, then-Blue Jackets president, general manager and carnival barker, Doug MacLean.
“I was a young coach then,” Gallant said. “I’m a different coach now.
“I’ve done a good job the last six years (with Florida and Vegas). I’ve been fired twice, and that’s disappointing and frustrating, but I think when people look at my record they’d say, ‘You know what? He did a pretty good job.'”
Gallant had an 11-year NHL career as a rough-and-tumble winger with Detroit (nine seasons) and Tampa Bay (two). He’s what NHL GMs are looking for these days, a coach who can relate to players but also hold them accountable.
That’s been his reputation in Florida and Vegas: firm but fair. In 399 games with the two franchises — a chronically troubled franchise and an expansion team, respectively — Gallant went 214-140-45, a .593 points percentage.
“I’m tough, but I’m fair … that’s the way I look at myself, anyway,” Gallant said. “Some people call me a players’ coach, and you hear people say, ‘We don’t need a players’ coach.’ Well, I’m a hard-ass, too, when I need to be, when the situation calls for it.
“I try to get my players to play hard and have fun coming to the rink, enjoy it. You need one to have the other, right? ... ”

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Not sure if this was posted on here or not and take this for what it's worth.

giphy.gif

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
f*** Babcock. But you know, you do your due diligence. Maybe you go talk to him and he says, "Yeah, I grew up with guys who embarrassed you, beat you down, tried to break you down mentally so they could rebuild you in their own image. I did the same thing. I recognize that's an awful thing to do, I've worked on myself, and I would not approach things that way in the future." Then you maybe give him a bit more consideration? He's been a very successful coach at many different levels. If you thought he was truly remorseful and had reformed his coaching style, he'd be worth a look. He likes skill, but also physicality and a tough style, as well as disciplined play.

I don't think it would be the best look for us, but I have absolutely no problem looking into him. Could also be Drury doing him a favor, just giving him an interview gets his name back out there. Never hurts to build good will in an old-boys club like the NHL.

Reactions: TheDirtyH and Ola

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
f*** Babcock. But you know, you do your due diligence. Maybe you go talk to him and he says, "Yeah, I grew up with guys who embarrassed you, beat you down, tried to break you down mentally so they could rebuild you in their own image. I did the same thing. I recognize that's an awful thing to do, I've worked on myself, and I would not approach things that way in the future." Then you maybe give him a bit more consideration? He's been a very successful coach at many different levels. If you thought he was truly remorseful and had reformed his coaching style, he'd be worth a look. He likes skill, but also physicality and a tough style, as well as disciplined play.

I don't think it would be the best look for us, but I have absolutely no problem looking into him. Could also be Drury doing him a favor, just giving him an interview gets his name back out there. Never hurts to build good will in an old-boys club like the NHL.

I mean of all the coaches available: he is the most talented, probably the smartest. Its just a shame that he is awful in a interpersonal sense.

If the Rangers had strong veteran leadership and could insulate younger players: I would seriously consider him. He is THE X and O guy.

But, they don't. So, I think is a terrible fit for how this team is currently constructed.

I also think that this a terrible market for a Babcock rehabilitation. The NY media are like vultures. They will try to stir up drama even if there isn't any.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Babcock is not taking a job until his Leafs contract is up.

I am worried his reputation is going to be majorly restored if (when?!?!) the Leafs lose to Montreal and go one and done again.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
IF they are seriously considering Babcock,
if NYR prioritize short-tempered and self-impressed Cup-winner coach,
I'd really prefer Torts chapter 3 ...

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I’m assuming that you’re in favor of one of them, so I’d love to hear why.

I’ll start with Tocchet. Arizona’s shitshow management has been well characterized, but they’ve definitely had some really good talent to work with throughout his tenure. The biggest red flag is how he’s failed to properly utilize the elite young talent he’s had in place with Keller, Hayton, and Strome. That’s a massive red flag to me, especially considering where we are as an organization, and the established talent he’s had has seemingly regressed under him (Goligoski, Kessel, OEL, etc.). Other than that, those ARI teams are just painfully, and I mean painfully, boring to watch and are one of the lower-event teams in the leagues. That doesn’t fit well with the roster we have and what everyone in the organization keeps preaching. He gets labeled as this Xs and Os guy, but it doesn’t translate on the ice and he just gets mediocre results.

Now as an assistant, he definitely profiles better and has a strong track record of working with Sullivan. I wouldn’t mind him there, I don’t see him taking a demotion with other HC spots open.

Hartley hasn’t done shit in the NHL in over two decades with an absolutely loaded Avs roster. When he coached again with Calgary, that team was hilariously bad and was basically the six-goalie system on steroids. Again, they had good young talent in the org that didn’t do much until he left. Plus, it’s been reported here and by others that the dude is just a total prick to be around. I don’t see any value in bringing in a dinosaur with this group of players.

Sure, he won a KHL championship, but who cares? That’s not going to translate to the NHL considering how vast the talent discrepancy is in the KHL between teams.

Pluses are he’s a Cup-winning coach, but that was like 20 years ago at this point, so put whatever stock in that you’d like.

I listed minuses above, but the biggest thing is really having terrible results in his last coaching stint. I don’t want a coach that can’t adapt to the modern NHL.
I must have missed that "elite" talent you refer to in Arizona.

Keller has been a good player. Not elite.

Strome was a disappointment from the minute he walked in the door six years ago.

Hayton is on track to be a bigger disappointment.

(BTW, Strome and Hayton are two excellent examples on why you don't draft a center higher than they should be picked. Both were stretches. Both are on track to fail.)

Goligoski was never any more than a 4-5 defenseman and he's has gotten old.

With that though, there are plenty of other reasons to stay clear of Tocchet. Too many feuds with key players. No real offensive structure. No real tangible results.

As I said weeks ago, the Rangers can do better.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I must have missed that "elite" talent you refer to in Arizona.

Keller has been a good player. Not elite.

Strome was a disappointment from the minute he walked in the door six years ago.

Hayton is on track to be a bigger disappointment.

(BTW, Strome and Hayton are two excellent examples on why you don't draft a center higher than they should be picked. Both were stretches. Both are on track to fail.)

Goligoski was never any more than a 4-5 defenseman and he's has gotten old.

With that though, there are plenty of other reasons to stay clear of Tocchet. Too many feuds with key players. No real offensive structure. No real tangible results.

As I said weeks ago, the Rangers can do better.
All of those players were highly ranked coming out of their draft class and had incredibly successful juniors careers. That’s what I was getting at - these kids have a ton of talent, and it doesn’t seem like he got the most out of them. I’d be extremely disappointed if my team drafted them and got the results ARI has thus far, especially when they were all highly-touted offensive players. I know you dislike Strome, and I’m still not really sure why, but it’s pretty telling that they moved him and he immediately started producing away from Tocchet.

Like you said though, there’s plenty of other reasons to avoid him as our next coach.

Reactions: PuckLife

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
All of those players were highly ranked coming out of their draft class and had incredibly successful juniors careers. That’s what I was getting at - these kids have a ton of talent, and it doesn’t seem like he got the most out of them. I’d be extremely disappointed if my team drafted them and got the results ARI has thus far, especially when they were all highly-touted offensive players. I know you dislike Strome, and I’m still not really sure why, but it’s pretty telling that they moved him and he immediately started producing away from Tocchet.

Like you said though, there’s plenty of other reasons to avoid him as our next coach.
Tippett had Strome for two years and wanted to trade him. You may remember there were murmurs about the Rangers trading for him four years ago which I cautioned against. Bottom line; he can't skate. He has had modest success with the Blackhawks but nothing approaching a top three pick in the draft. Maloney reached because he needed a center., passing up Mitch Marner among others.

Talent is one thing but when you go off the board to draft a player because he is a center, you are playing with fire. Hayton was a marginal top ten on most draft mocks. He was all but given a top nine role this year and couldn't take it. I haven't seen much at all there (although he can skate)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad