Report: Rangers granted permission to interview Gallant for HC vacancy

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Why do I see a clash of personalities with Gerard and Chris? I guess because I remember Gallant being a real mouthy chirper when he played and Chris being 3 words above a mute.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Looking back at his previous staffs, I see John Madden was an assistant with him in Florida. He’s currently in SJ.

Winder if he could be a possibility if Gallent comes here

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
cool

he gets results everywhere he goes and is a strong X & Os guy but I really want to understand why he keeps getting fired.

He got fired in Florida because Rowe was a power hungry moron and Florida was a mess that had a string of horrible movies like letting Marchessault and Smith go in the expansion draft.

And the new GM in Vegas probably wanted to bring in his own guy and took the first chance he got with the mini losing streak.

Reactions: leetch99

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
cool

he gets results everywhere he goes and is a strong X & Os guy but I really want to understand why he keeps getting fired.

"I wasn't fired because of analytics," he continued. "I loved coaching the Florida Panthers and I'm a stubborn guy at times; maybe I said a little too much, maybe I gave my opinion a little bit too much. Maybe when they asked for my opinion, I have an honest opinion and sometimes it doesn't help you. Maybe it wasn't always what they wanted to hear. I don't know where it went from there ..."

sounds like he doesn't know when to bite his tongue when dealing with bosses...which ironically might be what got JD fired

Gallant: I wasn't fired because of analytics

Reactions: CLW and haveandare

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Did the Rangers need the Knights permission? Gallant was fired January 2020.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

yes. he had a 4 year deal so he's still under contract with them. teams will need to do the same to talk to quinn, gorton or JD. coaches get relieved of their duties, it doesn't terminate the contract and the $$ they are owed.

Reactions: Crease

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I believe he is still under contract to Vegas even if he was fired. It's a guaranteed contract so even if they can him the contract is still valid. He's still getting paid.

EDIT: Sorry, I see others answered first. :laugh:

Reactions: Crease

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I read somewhere, that stemmed from within here I think, that Gallant was not a data analytics guy. In Vegas he shunned their input from that department. (so essentially, what I see with my eyes kinda guy)

I mighta had a few-some heavy craft beers but I swear I read it...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I read somewhere, that stemmed from within here I think, that Gallant was not a data analytics guy. In Vegas he shunned their input from that department. (so essentially, what I see with my eyes kinda guy)

Yeah that had been reported various places. A post just a few above yours has a story though where he says that wasn't the case, so who knows, really.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Yeah that had been reported various places. A post just a few above yours has a story though where he says that wasn't the case, so who knows, really.

I think the better question is what did the analytics say about his team at the end of the day...you want everyone to be on the same page. but regardless of what the coach thinks about the analytics, the end result of how the team plays is what matters

Reactions: Unpredictable1

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
And that was from his Florida stint. Apparently the Knights players were not happy when he was fired. I believe it was reported Vegas wanted to go a little more towards analytics and jumped at the chance to get DeBoer

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Is texting line combos really "input" or crossing a line? He's the head coach, line combos are his job.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
And that was from his Florida stint. Apparently the Knights players were not happy when he was fired. I believe it was reported Vegas wanted to go a little more towards analytics and jumped at the chance to get DeBoer

I remember those reports, but I'm pretty sure that when Gallant was fired, Vegas were either the top or one of the top analytics teams.

It never made sense to me then, and it still doesn't ring true.

I think it's more likely that Gallant butts heads with his bosses, and management gets tired of him quickly because of it.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad