Report: Rangers granted permission to interview Gallant for HC vacancy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
They won’t be gone. Any coach who wants to coach for the Rangers is going to wait until they make a decision. It’s the most desirable job out there, unless Brind’Amour really leaves. Then the Canes are. Either way, Rangers are in the driver’s seat.

Why would that person just wait around with an offer from the Rangers and potentially miss out on more jobs himself? Esp if he knows Rangers #1 choice isnt even him and some other team sees them as their #1?

Sorry, you dont just wait around for Rod, and he’s not even going anywhere.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Not sure how I feel on Tocchet...still leaning towards Gallant.
I'm pretty sure I would soon get sick of looking at Tocchet's ugly puss and flashing back thinking of his # 22 doing us in via scoring and his knuckles with Philly and as a player getting his licks in at us again during his stint in Pittsburgh .....hiring him would be like a bad hat trick for us older Ranger fans.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Tocchet reminds me of Vinnie Jones in every possible way

MV5BZjY4NzQyYTQtNGRjMS00ZmJlLWIzZTUtMDg5OWVjN2U2NjljXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
I'm pretty sure I would soon get sick of looking at Tocchet's ugly puss and flashing back thinking of his # 22 doing us in via scoring and his knuckles with Philly and as a player getting his licks in at us again during his stint in Pittsburgh .....hiring him would be like a bad hat trick for us older Ranger fans.

His past as a player wouldn't matter at all IMO.

...if he was a good coach, which he isn't.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Tocchet would be awful. Maybe as an assistant, but definitely not as a HC.

We want Gallant!

i rather have Torts back over Tocchett.

John Tortorella Pacing Around Penn Station Screaming At Total Strangers To Clear Puck Into Neutral Zone

just for entertainment value. he is a much better head coach.

I want Gallant, Torts, and I rather have Knoblauch over someone like Babcock and Tocchett not a fan.

on a serious question, what happened with Knoblauch? he never turned pro considering he was an Islanders prospect. did he have an injury or was never any good and realized it and turned to coaching?

Reactions: CasusBelli

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Tocchet seems like an interview you do to get a different perspective and not just blindly throw all your eggs in one basket. Doubt he is a serious contender for the job.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Well, no one can question that Drury's search for the next head coach has been thorough.

Reactions: CasusBelli

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Its always good to interview as many potentials as you can. Never know if the the coach you hire wants to bring them in as an assistant or if the future holds some other unlikely fortune where its necessary to hire another coach within a few years.

Good to hear that Torts and Roy were only phone calls and not person to person because I dont think either of them would be a good fit. Right now my bet is its Gallants job unless Sullivan, Brind'Amour or Cassidy become available and want the job. And even if Cassidy becomes available I think Drury sticks with Gallant.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Hartley and Tocchet would both be abysmal choices for coach, and I genuinely don’t understand why anyone would want them to coach this group

what are the minuses (and pluses?) re Hartley?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Based on your impeccable reasoning in this post, I genuinely dont understand either.
I’m assuming that you’re in favor of one of them, so I’d love to hear why.

I’ll start with Tocchet. Arizona’s shitshow management has been well characterized, but they’ve definitely had some really good talent to work with throughout his tenure. The biggest red flag is how he’s failed to properly utilize the elite young talent he’s had in place with Keller, Hayton, and Strome. That’s a massive red flag to me, especially considering where we are as an organization, and the established talent he’s had has seemingly regressed under him (Goligoski, Kessel, OEL, etc.). Other than that, those ARI teams are just painfully, and I mean painfully, boring to watch and are one of the lower-event teams in the leagues. That doesn’t fit well with the roster we have and what everyone in the organization keeps preaching. He gets labeled as this Xs and Os guy, but it doesn’t translate on the ice and he just gets mediocre results.

Now as an assistant, he definitely profiles better and has a strong track record of working with Sullivan. I wouldn’t mind him there, I don’t see him taking a demotion with other HC spots open.

Hartley hasn’t done shit in the NHL in over two decades with an absolutely loaded Avs roster. When he coached again with Calgary, that team was hilariously bad and was basically the six-goalie system on steroids. Again, they had good young talent in the org that didn’t do much until he left. Plus, it’s been reported here and by others that the dude is just a total prick to be around. I don’t see any value in bringing in a dinosaur with this group of players.

Sure, he won a KHL championship, but who cares? That’s not going to translate to the NHL considering how vast the talent discrepancy is in the KHL between teams.

what are the minuses (and pluses?) re Hartley?

Pluses are he’s a Cup-winning coach, but that was like 20 years ago at this point, so put whatever stock in that you’d like.

I listed minuses above, but the biggest thing is really having terrible results in his last coaching stint. I don’t want a coach that can’t adapt to the modern NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad