Report: Rangers granted permission to interview Gallant for HC vacancy

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I used to be on the side of "why are we only seeing retreads?" Then we hired David Quinn...
Part of me does wonder, though, how Fox would have developed under a different coach and what if Kakko had played more minutes last season. Would more playing time have helped? Or was he simply not ready for it. For all we know, the two met regularly and discussed what they felt comfortable doing. Maybe KK said he wanted less responsibility to start things out. I’m speculating, of course, but most of our opinions, as strong as they may be, are ultimately based on conjecture. We don’t know what happens behind closed doors.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I’m fine with Gallant if he checks out but I’ve got to admit a redux with Tortorella sure is intriguing to think about.

Why?

Tortorella's not terrible but part of me just feels like he isn't quite with it to get teams over the line, I dunno. He instills a good work ethic and demands a lot of his players but I think makes questionable decisions elsewhere.

He just kinda falls squarely in the "meh" pile for me and then you have to worry about the sideshow with him anyways

Reactions: JCProdigy

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
That mentality should help the young guys like KK and Laf, in that they won't get the quick hook and be buried on the bench if they make a mistake.

Also I think Kakko, for example, can be quite hard on himself. It's more about confidence with him, he is self motivated and doesn't need a low IQ carrot and stick system to keep him going.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
I’m fine with Gallant if he checks out but I’ve got to admit a redux with Tortorella sure is intriguing to think about.

I feel the same way, but Sean Avery says Drury hates Tortorella with a passion after the way Torts treated him as a coach. So if we take his word for it, doesn't sound like that reunion is happening. I'm curious if Torts even gets an interview. If he doesn't, we know why.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not crazy about it either. Was more into it before I dug more deeply. Just thought he did well where he went, but I suppose you have to ask whether his teams did well because of him or despite of him.

It's really hard for me to believe that an expansion team no matter how favorable the expansion draft was did well in spit of him. I feel like he has to get at least some credit.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
If only the team that wins the Stanley Cup isn't soft, then you're gonna be disappointed a lot.
You know I am talking about what seems to be the wishes of the owner? And try to analyse what that will have to say when finding a new coach? Every post on this forum does not have to be a personal opinion. Sometimes it is more fun to speculate about what is actually going to happen:)

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I like Torts a lot but I imagine his style wouldn’t mesh with this team’s core. Unless the core is changed a bit this offseason. I do think Torts has more dimensions than he gets credit for.
If he does come in I assume it’s with Panarin’s blessing. In which case, fine with me.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If you hire torts you have to move out skill for grinders like the team we had before. I don't think he suits what we've built up to this point. He generally does well with less skilled teams that shot block and grind teams down. Add to that i don't think he fits as a coach to the new school of hockey player, the act works for the Callahans, dubinskys and Mcdonaghs but it'll never work for the Kravtsovs, Chytil's or Jones types. Its a new nhl now, i mean just over the last year he's done some pretty dumb things, he's benching Dubois...so they trade for Laine, then the next thing Laine cant get minutes 1 game after getting there, they trade for Domi and instead of giving him a fresh start they throw him down to the 4th line....i dunno...i dont wanna see that clown show here.
I also don't think given that Torts has a fairly short shelf life these days that Drury will wanna hang his career on him

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I have to wonder how our Ranger team will react and who will lay down and who will man up and own his contract if Gallant is hired and they find themselves pushed hard to take this club further ? I think we are still quite short in the leadership department . I also can think of a couple that are likely going to cringe a bit when he is signed . It will be interesting to see if Gallant can make Kreider a lot better player . That will be a big key for the team....and Gallant .

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Does Drury wait to see if any new candidates become available after the playoffs are completed, or at least after the quarterfinals... or does he go with his gut after the 4 or 5 interviews?

Has there been any report of who will be interviewed next?

Also wondering if he wants to at least have the ability to approach Brind’Amour and his staff with a long term lucrative offer and check off that box too.

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Torts will half Fox’s career. Might as just well sign Fox to 5 years and plan on letting him walk after it bc Torts will play him 30 mins a game and run him into the ground

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I like Torts, but I really don’t think he would be a good idea with the players on this team.

I think the team would respond at first and be very good under him but he would wear out his affect very quickly.

That is unless he changes his approach. It would have to be something to the tune of how Coughlin changed before the Giants came together and won the Super Bowl that season. But that was a unique situation that was spurred on by the veteran leadership of the team.

But with Torts he’s so damn hard headed, I think he would get worse and worse as he got older and I think he would be too abrasive trying to take this team to the next level too quickly.

And that to me is the major problem Dolan and Slats have created here. They have essentially said the excuse of being patient has passed. Meanwhile this team will still be one of the youngest in the league next season with more rookies incoming on D unless major changes are made.

Unrealistic expectations matched with an unforgiving coach is a recipe for disaster.

NYblades

Mar 9, 2004
I like Torts, but I really don’t think he would be a good idea with the players on this team.

I think the team would respond at first and be very good under him but he would wear out his affect very quickly.

That is unless he changes his approach. It would have to be something to the tune of how Coughlin changed before the Giants came together and won the Super Bowl that season. But that was a unique situation that was spurred on by the veteran leadership of the team.

But with Torts he’s so damn hard headed, I think he would get worse and worse as he got older and I think he would be too abrasive trying to take this team to the next level too quickly.

And that to me is the major problem Dolan and Slats have created here. They have essentially said the excuse of being patient has passed. Meanwhile this team will still be one of the youngest in the league next season with more rookies incoming on D unless major changes are made.

Unrealistic expectations matched with an unforgiving coach is a recipe for disaster.

The number of coaches in any sport which have success the second time around with the same team is very very small. I agree, I can see an early bounce if Torts was hired, then it's all downhill from there as the team tunes out his abrasive style. Not interested in Torts Part 2 at all.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
The thing with Torts that makes me a bit more comfortable is that Drury played under him and knows first hand how he can be.

And if he were to hire him, one would have to assume that Torts agreed to adjust his coaching style a little bit (compared to his last stint here) in order to accomodate the talent on the team. Either that or Drury is an absolute dummy (which, by all accounts, he isn't).

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
The only guarantee is that 50% of the board will want him fired by the end of preseason...

He’s the best option out there IMO assuming there is no Torts reunion. I’d actually be ok with Torts being our Billy Martin. Say what you will but his teams play hard every night and are always tough to play against.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Part of me does wonder, though, how Fox would have developed under a different coach and what if Kakko had played more minutes last season. Would more playing time have helped? Or was he simply not ready for it. For all we know, the two met regularly and discussed what they felt comfortable doing. Maybe KK said he wanted less responsibility to start things out. I’m speculating, of course, but most of our opinions, as strong as they may be, are ultimately based on conjecture. We don’t know what happens behind closed doors.

To your point, I think a lot of us have the mentality of more ice time = better progression. Sometimes that’s true, sometimes it isn’t. It’s not EA Sports where you earn experience points. A guy like Fox was ready - more ice time built him up. Kakko in year 1 was really floundering - I don’t think extra minutes would’ve necessarily been better for him.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Tortorella is not the same coach he was here almost 10 years ago, he’s adapted a lot to the league around him. it’s not his fault that Laine sucks ass at everything besides shooting. i still don’t think he’s the ideal candidate here though

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
To your point, I think a lot of us have the mentality of more ice time = better progression. Sometimes that’s true, sometimes it isn’t. It’s not EA Sports where you earn experience points. A guy like Fox was ready - more ice time built him up. Kakko in year 1 was really floundering - I don’t think extra minutes would’ve necessarily been better for him.
You need to take your logical views with you and leave. HFNYR does not accept this line of thought. The only way to develop is to be put in all situations for 20+ mins a night. Otherwise it's just a waste of time for all parties.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Torts?!?!?!?! Do we not see the horrible shape he left CBJ in behind him??

And by the way Gaborik would have been the same exact problem as Laine had we not had a solid locker room to keep that ticking time bomb from taking out everyone in its path

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad