Report: Rangers granted permission to interview Gallant for HC vacancy

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
John Tortorella is my favorite coach ever for the rangers. He's a phenomenal coach and I was effing pissed when we fired him.

With all that said hiring torts now would be a colossal mistake. The lineup isn't remotely built for his style and he would have to round peg his square hole style.

Very big mistake.

Gallant or boudreau are the guys for this roster imho

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
To your point, I think a lot of us have the mentality of more ice time = better progression. Sometimes that’s true, sometimes it isn’t. It’s not EA Sports where you earn experience points. A guy like Fox was ready - more ice time built him up. Kakko in year 1 was really floundering - I don’t think extra minutes would’ve necessarily been better for him.
Exactly my thinking. Florida ruined so many prospects in the early 2000s by overplaying rookies or rushing youngsters to the NHL. I’m quite sure we’ve made that mistake with Miller.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
You need to take your logical views with you and leave. HFNYR does not accept this line of thought. The only way to develop is to be put in all situations for 20+ mins a night. Otherwise it's just a waste of time for all parties.
Regurgitating a popular slogan or mantra is easier and brings the ‘likes’, though. So...

Reactions: Ola

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Tortorella is not the same coach he was here almost 10 years ago, he’s adapted a lot to the league around him. it’s not his fault that Laine sucks ass at everything besides shooting. i still don’t think he’s the ideal candidate here though

I think Torts also adjusted his style to the players the Rangers had when he first arrived. I don't think he exactly wanted to play that conservative collapsing system all the time but the Rangers were kinda short on real offense at the time.
The biggest problem was that as the team did get more talented he didn't change his style to utilize those players

Exactly my thinking. Florida ruined so many prospects in the early 2000s by overplaying rookies or rushing youngsters to the NHL. I’m quite sure we’ve made that mistake with Miller.

I'd have to doule check but I think Miller actually did well with the minutes he got, analyticvs wise

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
I don't think so. Plenty of excitement if you ask me.

Gallant: mystery box luggage. Numbers check out, his teams played great. The type of vocal coach we want.

Rod Brind'Amour: Warrior Stanley Cup winner. Would bring great mentality.

Torts: the board would melt. That's not exciting to you?

Sullivan: maybe a meh one. But he did coach multiple Stanley Cup winners!

Hartley: meh.

Reactions: CaptTennille

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think Torts also adjusted his style to the players the Rangers had when he first arrived. I don't think he exactly wanted to play that conservative collapsing system all the time but the Rangers were kinda short on real offense at the time.
The biggest problem was that as the team did get more talented he didn't change his style to utilize those players

Tortorella came in preaching "safe is death"... and they never had the offensive talent under him to play that way at any point. Doesn't mean he couldn't have loosened up as time went on, as you point out.

I don't think the Jackets have been playing quite the same strict 6-goalie system that he had us playing, but we definitely have more offensive talent than them even when Panarin was still there. It'd be interesting to see what he'd do with it, but it wouldn't be my first choice to find out.

Reactions: egelband

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
John Tortorella is my favorite coach ever for the rangers. He's a phenomenal coach and I was effing pissed when we fired him.

With all that said hiring torts now would be a colossal mistake. The lineup isn't remotely built for his style and he would have to round peg his square hole style.

Very big mistake.

The Rangers don't have a solid enough leadership or locker room to handle Torts like they previously did. His relationship with Gaborik was a ticking time bomb that was only held together because we had such a solid locker room. Without it the same thing that happened in CBJ with Laine would have happened here and it would have derailed everything that group had been building towards.

As a matter of fact, this is something with or without Torts should be a much bigger concern. The strength of this franchise since the Jagr years has been a great leadership core. From Jagr and Straka to Shanahan to Drury to Naslund to Dubinsky and Callahan and Girardi and Staal to Richards and MSL and Stepan and Mac and Brassard and Zuccarello, and Henrik Lundqvist tying the whole thing together.

Guaranteed they never would have let the DeAngelo thing get out of hand like it did. I mean they were able to keep Sean freaking Avery in line.

Avery left the team for what not even half a season before he got himself kicked off the Stars team?

Reactions: egelband and Ola

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Well not a fan with Gallant, I`ve mentioned that Claude Julien is the coach with experience in NHL.:nod:

Reactions: Ola

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014

Very big mistake.

i'm with you on torts being my favorite coach, and i had the same initial reaction to the idea of a return...but i'm sort of reconsidering that to a degree. he did win a cup in tampa with vinny/msl/richards/boyle. we're still a different looking team top to bottom, and he wouldn't be my first choice, but i don't think it would be a complete disaster if he were hired.

of the names we've heard, gallant would be my top choice. then probably tocchet. i'm curious if there are any less known candidates being vetted, although seems pretty unlikely - directive appears to be hire a known commodity.

curious why you'd want boudreau though? he had some loaded caps teams that lit it up in the regular season ... but year after year after year they refused to play any defense. when teams tightened up for the playoffs they did nothing. and in minn he really did nothing notable. he seems like a great guy and has a great hockey mind, esp on the offensive side of the puck. but his teams were always undisciplined and had no defensive structure...i'd want no part of him personally but thats just me - what do you see in him as being a good choice? to be clear not being sarcastic, genuine curiosity in understanding a different perspective

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The problem with Torts is that he doesn’t deliver on his side of the bargain. He is very strict in how he wants his players to play. Many coaches are that and it can be great — if the way the coach wants them to play, is the right way.

But there is zero accountability with Torts, of Torts. That is what causes the players to jump ship. It’s one thing if the way a coach preaches gets you success, makes you better, show results. But if it’s the opposite?

I think that Torts a genius behind the bench in many ways. But he developed an identity based on how hockey should be played to beat the trap — and its 17 years since any true trapping team had any success in this.

And instead of adapting, he loses focus and definitely become destructive at times. Torts would never accept that of a player, someone getting frustrated and starting to make poor decisions, and it’s these things that pushes players over an edge. Gets them to go to the GM and ask for a trade en masse. It’s just not acceptable.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I would love Torts, as an assistant.

He can’t be let anywhere near the defenders. He will handcuff them in how they move the puck, force them to back down into the lap of the goalie to block shots and so forth. Make Torts the coach of the forecheck and backcheck, and give him a voice to management and let him second guess their decisions and point out flaws.

The problem is that Torts has many lives left as a head coach. He will manipulate any media market and by hiring him, a GM takes himself out of the line of fire and puts Torts there instead.

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
Why?

Tortorella's not terrible but part of me just feels like he isn't quite with it to get teams over the line, I dunno. He instills a good work ethic and demands a lot of his players but I think makes questionable decisions elsewhere.

He just kinda falls squarely in the "meh" pile for me and then you have to worry about the sideshow with him anyways

This is fair about Torts, but we are in the stage that was very similar to Torts’ first run here..

My fear about him is the sideshow antics and what he does with kids..

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The only Home Run out there is Rod BrindAmour. I wouldn't hire anyone till the Canes sign him
By then all the good coaches could be gone. We can't wait that long for the complete long shot that Rod leaves an organization that he loves.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I am in the pro Gallant camp. Though he’s not the only candidate I think would be a good Head Coach for the Rangers.
My only concern is Steve Yzerman. I didn’t like him when he played (always felt he was a sneaky player and not in the good way). Disliked him even more as a G.M.
My worry is Yzerman’s relationship with Gallant. Are they close? Do they speak often on the phone? Would Yzerman exploit that relationship to benefit the Wings?
This is all speculation on my part. For all we know that might not even like each other. Though I would hope that Chris Drury investigates that relationship with him and all the G.M. that Gallant has worked for.

Do you want to buy your own tinfoil hat or should the Rangers board make one for you?

Zero concern.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Do you want to buy your own tinfoil hat or should the Rangers board make one for you?

Zero concern.
HaH,
I’ve never started a thread before butmaybe I should begin.
I’ll title it “NY Rangers Conspiracy Theories”. The truth is out there.
My first post would be either the Willie Plett training camp disappearance or the Geoff Courtnall F/A signing.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I really hope they don’t overthink it and just choose Gallant. Brindamour, while it would be great, is a total pipe dream.

if they were insistent on a new coach, which it doesn’t sound like they are, the Swedish guys interest me. Grongorg and Hallam are far more interesting coaches than a Quinn and intrigue me more than a lot of the retread coaches out there.

Torts would be meh. Better than Quinn but I still don’t think the right guy for the team. Pretty much everyone else makes me want to vomit, especially Julien.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
By then all the good coaches could be gone. We can't wait that long for the complete long shot that Rod leaves an organization that he loves.

They won’t be gone. Any coach who wants to coach for the Rangers is going to wait until they make a decision. It’s the most desirable job out there, unless Brind’Amour really leaves. Then the Canes are. Either way, Rangers are in the driver’s seat.

NYblades

Mar 9, 2004
They won’t be gone. Any coach who wants to coach for the Rangers is going to wait until they make a decision. It’s the most desirable job out there, unless Brind’Amour really leaves. Then the Canes are. Either way, Rangers are in the driver’s seat.

Unless other playoff teams potentially fire their coach.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
The sooner we hire someone the sooner I can stop throwing up at seeing the Tortur-Ella sequel crap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->