News Article: RendezVous LeBreton plan dead, but there are still places Melnyk could build an arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Yep,but it shows EM commitment to growing the franchise.....God bless him and the tireless work he has done in his 10 or so years here ,to building a brighter future for the team....Lol

Growing it for who? You? Do you think he owes you a new rink downtown? Because it sure sounds like it. It ain’t your team and it isn’t your 400+ million to spend. Plus you don’t support the team so you have zero say in what goes on, less then zero even you are not a paying customer

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Melnyk can't afford anything outside of the absolute minimum (I include retaining RFAs in that).

He spat on the face of people who wanted to partner with him in order to, hopefully, have everyone make a lot of money. He figured his position granted him some imaginary leverage and went balls to the wall until people were so fed up with him that they gave up.

Just like in his search for a PoHO: Melnyk thinks people will line up for him because he owns something very rare. Here again, he was way off.

You can really tell he is the kind of guy who made his money as a conman before the age of the Internet. Conmen nowadays are far more effective, grifting is all the rage. Melnyk is yesterday's conman and after his near-death experience, he feels the squeeze and is responding by becoming increasingly bitter as he knows he can't keep up on top of being "broke".

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And the team gets the money from naming rights and also gets 2 million a year in advertising supplied by the city, national and international so that’s cash not a billboard, 2 million +naming rights is going to be more then the 4 million a year they spend on paying for the arena. So in reality they are being paid to play there. EM said he wouldn’t take the naming rights if he didn’t have to pay rent so the deal really isn’t all that different, in fact it’s probably lesser then the Edmonton deal because he would not be getting paid to play there
For some reason Ruddy decided the sens can’t have the millions a year in naming rights and there is zero reason for him to take that stance, he got greedy with someone who was being greedy and it was a stupid idea to put the two together, if the people in charge of the land spent less time trying to get Ruddy paid things might have not been so messy

I mean, you must know what you are claiming is false, it's been brought to your attention in past threads so I'm not sure why I bother, but here we go; Melnyk wanted free rent and naming rights, it's in the statement of defense:
UPDATED: Ottawa Senators make proposal to salvage downtown arena deal, developer files $1B counterclaim
The statement of defence says CSMI sent a term sheet in November calling for Trinity to guarantee $500 million for the arena, while the City of Ottawa would pay half of the arena construction costs. CSMI would get free rent and have power over the naming rights, the statement of defence says.

Edit: i also just noticed you included the marketting agreement as the city paying edmonton to play there. That's a bit disingenuous as the city of edmonton is paying for advertizing. Its an agreement to provide a service and while the team does get money in return it is using assets, like advertizing spots, that otherwise could have been sold to other sponsors. This isnt free money and the city is getting a direct benefit in return.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18Hossa

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
And the team gets the money from naming rights and also gets 2 million a year in advertising supplied by the city, national and international so that’s cash not a billboard, 2 million +naming rights is going to be more then the 4 million a year they spend on paying for the arena. So in reality they are being paid to play there. EM said he wouldn’t take the naming rights if he didn’t have to pay rent so the deal really isn’t all that different, in fact it’s probably lesser then the Edmonton deal because he would not be getting paid to play there
For some reason Ruddy decided the sens can’t have the millions a year in naming rights and there is zero reason for him to take that stance, he got greedy with someone who was being greedy and it was a stupid idea to put the two together, if the people in charge of the land spent less time trying to get Ruddy paid things might have not been so messy

Eugene wanted a free arena plus all operating profits outside of the team (concerts, concessions, parking, etc). Do you have any idea of how that compares to the 4m per year Edmonton gets? Obviously either not paying attention or ignorant to facts: NHL Lockout: Why do billionaires keep buying teams that lose money? (Updated)

That is all public info, and what you are also forgetting is EUGENE would own the arena, not the city, I guess that asset has zero value.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Eugene wanted a free arena plus all operating profits outside of the team (concerts, concessions, parking, etc). Do you have any idea of how that compares to the 4m per year Edmonton gets? Obviously either not paying attention or ignorant to facts: NHL Lockout: Why do billionaires keep buying teams that lose money? (Updated)

That is all public info, and what you are also forgetting is EUGENE would own the arena, not the city, I guess that asset has zero value.

Well my mistake but either way Edmonton is getting a free rink and that’s a hell of a lot better then paying 500 million for one. Like I said Em wanted a free rink or an Edmonton deal.
If you already own an arena there is no upside to spending 500 million on a new arena is there?
After the arena being built with what’s already been spent and owed he would be at like 800 million invested. How does that make sense?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Well my mistake but either way Edmonton is getting a free rink and that’s a hell of a lot better then paying 500 million for one. Like I said Em wanted a free rink or an Edmonton deal.
If you already own an arena there is no upside to spending 500 million on a new arena is there?
After the arena being built with what’s already been spent and owed he would be at like 800 million invested. How does that make sense?
You're right. Let's keep it in Kanata. Working out great so far with fantastic attendance! It must really hurt you that Eugene so badly wanted to build an arena in Lebreton but f***ed it all up.

Reactions: topshelf15

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Edmonton gets all the profits outside of hockey also. Why ignore that? And that report seems extreamly odd they try to talk up how it’s a big money maker , first they say 9 million in revenue, once all the bills are paid,staff and upkeep power and such, then take out the taxes, what’s left? A couple million a year? 3 or 4 tops, A couple million a year is fine and all but it isn’t covering loses in Florida and it sure isn’t paying off a 500 million dollar investments.

Last edited:

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
You're right. Let's keep it in Kanata. Working out great so far with fantastic attendance! It must really hurt you that Eugene so badly wanted to build an arena in Lebreton but ****ed it all up.

Let's be real here. The current attendance is a function of ownership and not location.

Reactions: Smash88

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Let's be real here. The current attendance is a function of ownership and not location.

Current attendance is far more impacted by team performance than anything else.

Location does not help at all. As someone who doesn't own a car (one day my boss will come through on the promise of indeterminate!), getting to the arena, while doable, is always something I dread. If the arena wasn't as far, I'd go to more games and they could probably charge a bit more for tickets.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Growing it for who? You? Do you think he owes you a new rink downtown? Because it sure sounds like it. It ain’t your team and it isn’t your 400+ million to spend. Plus you don’t support the team so you have zero say in what goes on, less then zero even you are not a paying customer
Lol ,seems people like me have lots to say...EM can cry elephant tears all he wants next season when he sees how much its not our team

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I agree 90% - but it’s an old stale arena with $20 parking and brutal winters and 1 hour to get home after a game - the arena isn’t selling anyone on going to a game

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Edmonton gets all the profits outside of hockey also. Why ignore that? And that report seems extreamly odd they try to talk up how it’s a big money maker , first they say 9 million in revenue, once all the bills are paid,staff and upkeep power and such, then take out the taxes, what’s left? A couple million a year? 3 or 4 tops, A couple million a year is fine and all but it isn’t covering loses in Florida and it sure isn’t paying off a 500 million dollar investments.

So both Eugene and Katz' scenarios share the same thing, a free rink. Who owns the Edmonton rink? I guess the interest on that loan Eugene would need to come up with wouldn't cover the value of that asset as the principle will eventually come from development. Poor Eugene

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
So both Eugene and Katz' scenarios share the same thing, a free rink. Who owns the Edmonton rink? I guess the interest on that loan Eugene would need to come up with wouldn't cover the value of that asset as the principle will eventually come from development. Poor Eugene

Go build a rink for the city then I’m sure they will give out the same deal they gave to EM to you or anyone else that game. I mean it’s so free and easy, get on it. Show us how a real man does it

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Go build a rink for the city then I’m sure they will give out the same deal they gave to EM to you or anyone else that game. I mean it’s so free and easy, get on it. Show us how a real man does it
They didn't give any deal to EM. No one will, because no one wants to do business with him lol

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I mean, you must know what you are claiming is false, it's been brought to your attention in past threads so I'm not sure why I bother, but here we go; Melnyk wanted free rent and naming rights, it's in the statement of defense:
UPDATED: Ottawa Senators make proposal to salvage downtown arena deal, developer files $1B counterclaim

Edit: i also just noticed you included the marketting agreement as the city paying edmonton to play there. That's a bit disingenuous as the city of edmonton is paying for advertizing. Its an agreement to provide a service and while the team does get money in return it is using assets, like advertizing spots, that otherwise could have been sold to other sponsors. This isnt free money and the city is getting a direct benefit in return.

Edmonton oilers pay to advertise, the city is kicking 2 million a year cash money to advertise the oilers, the oilers don’t sell oilers advertising they buy it. They sell cheese and car advertising not Oiler advertising.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
They didn't give any deal to EM. No one will, because no one wants to do business with him lol

They did tho that’s the thing they even extended the deadline and tried to find a third party to make him happy

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I agree 90% - but it’s an old stale arena with $20 parking and brutal winters and 1 hour to get home after a game - the arena isn’t selling anyone on going to a game

You want a stale arena go to Calgary. CTC is fine. And $20 parking has nothing to do with location and everything to do with ownership.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
They did tho that’s the thing they even extended the deadline and tried to find a third party to make him happy
Yep the third party being, the one that has publicly stated he would like to buy the team...So no conflict of interest there at all huh??

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
No problem, give me a large development that will fund the arena over time and all the profits from the arena with an NHL tenant paying rent and I'll start writing the business case right now. At the end of say 10 years I am even money wise but have a beautiful arena on the best piece of land in the country. It's called the long game. Send the paperwork lol

I also forgot about all of the restaurants and retail locations from my other parts of the development that I may either own or collect rent on, the horror....

Hypothetically if I owned the team lets not forget the 100m in increased value that my team gains...

Last edited:

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
You're talking about a publicly subsidized rink like Edmonton. Putting your foot in your mouth as per usual, bit of a tough look as per usual. Eugene still couldn't make it work though.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I guess that a centrally located arena would increase attendance by about 20% to 30% whereas a consistent playoff team would increase attendance by another 20% to 30% with a bump if the team became a strong contender for the SC on a regular basis.

A smaller arena such as the one built in Winnipeg might be optimal for the Ottawa market as it would remove less expensive seating (which can cannibalize sales of higher priced seats during the down times) and increase the average seat cost resulting in higher revenue overall.

Reactions: branch

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
You're talking about a publicly subsidized rink like Edmonton. Putting your foot in your mouth as per usual, bit of a tough look as per usual. Eugene still couldn't make it work though.

I put my foot in your mouth. Wait what are you talking about?
Edmonton’s rink isn’t a good deal? Or that isn’t the deal EM hoped for? You mindless insults with nothing to add sure get boring.
At least I can read your thoughts on how money and life work and laugh, oh how I laugh

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I put my foot in your mouth. Wait what are you talking about?
Edmonton’s rink isn’t a good deal? Or that isn’t the deal EM hoped for? You mindless insults with nothing to add sure get boring.
At least I can read your thoughts on how money and life work and laugh, oh how I laugh
Well judging how you keep defending a failure at business ,it would seem you could use a refresher

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Nah man it's location too. Kanata is trash. No one wants to go there. People are tired of dragging their asses across the city for 23 years.

I guarantee if the Sens went on a run next year, the crowds would come back.

Kanata is nowhere near the perfect location, but they had no problem bringing in crowds before.

It would be the same if the arena was in Orleans. People will show up for a winning product.

Look at the 67's this season, it started out with 2,000 people through the first half of the year and then suddenly grew as the season went on.

Ottawa has always been a fairweather city, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing as it forces teams to keep a good product on the field/ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad