News Article: RendezVous LeBreton plan dead, but there are still places Melnyk could build an arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I guarantee if the Sens went on a run next year, the crowds would come back.

Kanata is nowhere near the perfect location, but they had no problem bringing in crowds before.

It would be the same if the arena was in Orleans. People will show up for a winning product.

Look at the 67's this season, it started out with 2,000 people through the first half of the year and then suddenly grew as the season went on.

Ottawa has always been a fairweather city, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing as it forces teams to keep a good product on the field/ice.
I don’t think so. The 2017 run didn’t work. This market is what it is, and new ownership may work, initially, but the same problems will creep in sooner or later .

And the 67s were still drawing laughable crowds well into the New Year, when it was established that this team was something special.

Ottawa is a fickle town, and they have good reason to be the way they are.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The bankrupt business he bought that has gone up 400%-500% in value? Huuuuge fail, worst business move in history,
It’s pretty hard to devalue a big 4 NA sports franchise.

He’s well on his way to being the Coyotes 2.0 though. Is this the usual part of his business cycle when the free fall happens?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The bankrupt business he bought that has gone up 400%-500% in value? Huuuuge fail, worst business move in history,
Hey, we agree on something. He's here for the appreciating asset and that's it. I've said all along his actions have proven the actual hockey product is the lowest priority when push comes to shove. Hell, even his own ego gets priority.

Just imagine what it could be worth if he hadn't lynched his own product by hiring under qualified people, getting involved in the hockey personnel decisions, not budging on his philosophy of only low paid coaches and executives, and threatening media and fans.

Reactions: topshelf15

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I can see all parties, needed to be involved, coming together and grudgingly (if necessary) working together to at the least, advance their own interests.

The owner needs a new arena within ten years, or will have to sink in tons of cash to refurbish it, in the terrible location it now sits.

The City has two LRT Stations, in the middle of an empty Leberton flats, that will attract no one.

The NCC wants to sell the land at Lebreton flats, and wants something substantive built there.

I see this happening well before EM will ever consider selling the franchise, the same franchise he's promised to pass on to his daughter. He's stubborn, and anyone who is willing to wait for him to sell, should saddle up their unicorns and ride to the end of the rainbow and grab the pot of gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->