News Article: RendezVous LeBreton plan dead, but there are still places Melnyk could build an arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I can assure you that it is not.

That land is not going to be publicly available for decades at the very least. It might as well be Parliament Hill for the purposes of this hypothetical exercise.
Yeah that does make sense,the DND likely will just rebuild on that land once the service life of the building has been completely used up...

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Or may be a part of the mall. Would be absolutely amazing in place of the old Sears.
33365385358_9d1a82416a_b.jpg
This location looks nice but isn't this area woefully underserviced by public transportation?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This location looks nice but isn't this area woefully underserviced by public transportation?
Would be so much more convenient for torono fans coming in by via rail. There is a pedestrian bridge from the train station and the marriott courtyard hotel is right on the corner of vanier and coventry.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I personally love the overbrook location. It is really the only workable viable option for the new arena. And I scouted all the places in Ottawa.
For those of you who would say that the baseball stadium doesn't have enough land for parking- the plans for LeBreton flats didn't involve much of surface parking really. There is always an option for underground 5 levels parking(2000 cars) under the stadium. I counted, you can add 2000 more on a surface around the stadium. Utilize stores parking lots. You can park across the highway at the rail station and around, you can use both mall parking. That's another 2000 spots or even more. Also the parking is available on the streets in overbrook area of Vanier and beyond.

How far down are you going to dig to build this underground parking? The CTC is half buried. If you go the Bell Centre you have to go up, up, up to get to your seats because it is built at ground level. It sucks.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa

Tremblay station is within a 3 minutes walk from the future stadium. When Ottawa is going to get an equivalent of a go train, there is a rail station for all the needs. People from Barrhaven and Kanata south in the future can take a commuter train from Fallowfield station to central.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
DND likely will just rebuild on that land once the service life of the building has been completely used up...

Pearks Building (the name of the building in question) probably isn't getting rebuilt for decades.

If anything, it will get an interior retrofit maybe in the next decade to accomodate for new usage now that Carling Campus is up and running.

Reactions: topshelf15

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The lack of public funding wasn't the reason the RDV deal fell apart though.

Yes it was, and to take it even further they wanted the sens advertising revenue to help pay for other parts of the project. That’s why they refused the other bid, they want fans to use the rail 40+ nights a year and they want millions a year from the sens to help pay for infrastructure. There is zero chance Bettman is upset this deal didn’t happen. And it makes no sense for a guy that already owns his own arena to take this deal.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
Take down the baseball stadium and build the rink. Baseball will never work in Ottawa, its been tried and failed too many times. On top of this, there's literally a Canadian tire next door. There's access to the LRT, hotel next door, highways coming from every direction.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Pearks Building (the name of the building in question) probably isn't getting rebuilt for decades.

If anything, it will get an interior retrofit maybe in the next decade to accomodate for new usage now that Carling Campus is up and running.
Yeah the DND seems to keep things forever....They should put a helicopter pad on the roof ,so they can land Sea Kings up there lol

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I mean I get we need to keep discussions going, but while there may be locations an arena could be built on, Melnyk can't afford to build an arena.

So..

AFAIC these are fun topics to discuss, a good way to dream. We all know nothing is happening anytime soon but we have to find things to discuss other than "woe is us".

If we don't, Melnyk wins and f*** that guy.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Damn....I like that St Laurent location. Could really revitalize that area. I haven't been to St Laurent in years, but last few times I was around that area in the evening, it was pretty dead. An economic boost could do wonders there.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Damn....I like that St Laurent location. Could really revitalize that area. I haven't been to St Laurent in years, but last few times I was around that area in the evening, it was pretty dead. An economic boost could do wonders there.
I think that's Trainyards. That looks like the intersection of the Vanier Parkway/Coventry to me.

Edit: Nvm I didn't see the 2nd pic.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

This Site on St Laurent, was originally an MTO yard. Don't know if it's a large enough site though. Close to the LRT, and could be connected by a tunnel.
60730644_303684160546146_1667452384734871552_n.jpg

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I thought that the arena had to be downtown so it’s closer to restaurants and bars. None of these options are downtown.

odhiambo

Apr 12, 2009
A few weeks ago, on a different thread, I suggested the vacant parking lot at Carleton University which overlooks Dow's Lake (on Colonel By Drive).

There is an O-Train stop at the campus and easy access to the highway from Bronson. Close proximity to downtown and allows the Dows Lake area to be further developed.

The Senators could offer Carleton University land in Kanata to have a satellite campus...

Screenshot_2019-05-08 parking-map-2015 pdf.png

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
It's been awhile since I've gone to Carleton but even back then I don't remember any vacant parking lots on campus. Don't know why Carleton would want to give up land for a satellite campus in Kanata. The Dows Lake area isn't developed for a reason that has nothing to do proximity to an NHL arena.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
P-6 definitely isn’t vacant and that area is no where near big enough for an arena

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
P-6 definitely isn’t vacant and that area is no where near big enough for an arena
When I went to Carlton years ago, lot 6 was in that general area and it was the parking for those of us without a monthly pass. They've since built up around that area, but even then I wouldn't have thought an arena would be viable there. Maybe if they knocked down all the res buildings...

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I thought that the arena had to be downtown so it’s closer to restaurants and bars. None of these options are downtown.

I think the priority is to have it located on, or very near the LRT, as the Arena will most likley not a parking lot. Bars and restaurants will pop up in and around the Arena, wherever it's built, just as many in Kanata will close down after a re-location.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bulldoze pineview golf. Ottawa has more than enough courses to absorb the loss and it was never a very good one. Still dealing with the ncc mind you and you would have to break a lease with our old friend Michael Copeland who i think is a patner in the group currently managing the course

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Bulldoze pineview golf. Ottawa has more than enough courses to absorb the loss and it was never a very good one. Still dealing with the ncc mind you and you would have to break a lease with our old friend Michael Copeland who i think is a patner in the group currently managing the course
So Kanata East, makes sense....say goodbye to the Ottawa valley fans, Barrhaven and Kanata, probably take a slice out of Nepean too. It has to be central or might as well leave it in Kanata

Reactions: Smash88

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Seems like a lateral move.

If they're going all the way out to almost Blackburn Hamlet, then they might as well just stay where they are.

Reactions: topshelf15
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->