News Article: RendezVous LeBreton plan dead, but there are still places Melnyk could build an arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
WANTED: Land for new NHL arena. Must be located inside Greenbelt along LRT. Quick access to Queensway. Low price, easy terms, no-money-down preferred. Willing to consider partner with deep pockets & development know-how. Possible trade for existing arena & lifetime season-ticket package.

GIBBONS: RendezVous LeBreton plan dead, but there are still places Melnyk could build an arena
None of these location,s look viable compared to Lebreton....That is where the team needs to be,EM needs to stop and think about what he is doing to this team,and its fans....

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Well, re: Gibbon's suggestion of the DND building on Colonel By - I can, with a HIGH degree of confidence, assure everyone that this is completely off the table. Not going to happen for at least 20 years.

And... Lincoln Fields? Come on. Try harder, Gibbons.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Also: (I apologize for three posts in a row, but they are different thoughts)

I am surprised exactly zero percent that Gibbons goes out of his way to paint Melnyk in the best possible light.

Go through the Sun archives - even in the most negative stories, he's right there pumping his boy Yuge up like either a martyr or saviour. This is typical of his career as an editorialist (Remember: this guy isn't a journalist).

Hard to take anything Gibbons says seriously when he's shown throughout his career that he's willing to sell his integrity like this.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
I like the part where he glosses over the fact that Rendezvous fell apart because of Melnyk. In fact, he even makes it seem like Melnyk is the injured party.

Why even bother taking about other locations when Melnyk can’t afford to build an arena on his own, and at this point, who the heck would work with him to finance it?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Who’s going to give him the money or help him build it?
Pretty much this...He doesnt have the money ,cant borrow enough...So what should be left???Unfortunately he also seems delusional so ....We are likely going to have to deal with this clown far longer than we actually should

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Ottawa Sun said:
Melnyk has long favoured the Edmonton model where franchise owner Daryl Katz successfully navigated construction of a $600-million downtown complex using a mix of company cash, loans, ticket surcharges and even some government money.

Hilarious that he would say 'even some government money', they paid for most of the arena! Either directly or via taxes. It makes it sound like the government tossed Katz a few spare dollars. That's embarrassing for the author.

Evanc23

Nov 20, 2018
Safe to say I'd lose all faith in the Government if they helped subsidize an arena for this piece of trash owner. Can't see anyone wanting to work with Melnyk to build an arena after all the crap that happened with the Lebreton plan.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Hilarious that he would say 'even some government money', they paid for most of the arena! Either directly or via taxes. It makes it sound like the government tossed Katz a few spare dollars. That's embarrassing for the author.

This is the Ottawa Sun.

"Small government that pays for luxury items for the rich" for all!

Reactions: FlyingJ

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Are they going to release info on the deal that didnt work out? I would like to see what was turned down.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Also: (I apologize for three posts in a row, but they are different thoughts)

I am surprised exactly zero percent that Gibbons goes out of his way to paint Melnyk in the best possible light.

Go through the Sun archives - even in the most negative stories, he's right there pumping his boy Yuge up like either a martyr or saviour. This is typical of his career as an editorialist (Remember: this guy isn't a journalist).

Hard to take anything Gibbons says seriously when he's shown throughout his career that he's willing to sell his integrity like this.

The entire Sun newspaper is like that. I picked up a copy the other day, just out of curiosity....talk about a rag! More spin than fox news. I don't see how that newspaper franchise still exists.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Sorry, they can built it anywhere and people will hate the location. One thing that the article did mention will be the need to upgrade access off of the 417 or Parkway. Who will pay for that? The last time we the team, and ultimately the fans did.

No quick fixes here!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
A local arena/public gathering spot for entertainment isn't the worst thing they spend money on.

It might not be the literal absolute worst thing to spend money in, but it's close.

It produces the wrong kind of jobs that a city wants (mostly part-time and low wage jobs), it doesn't boost the construction industry at all (studies have shown that it doesn't create new construction jobs or projects, it just diverts resources from other projects that either get delayed or cancelled), and the limited beneficial effects have shown to be very up-front and not sustainable over the long haul (large benefits for the first 2-3 years after constructuion, dwindling every year thereafter).

There was a poll where something like 86% of economists were either "against" or "strongly against" civic subsidization of professional sport stadiums. Only about 5% of economists were in favour. And this was back in 2006, before construction costs balooned wildly out of control over the past 5 years or so.

We've had the discussion on these boards over the past few months. Lots of good studies out there that definiteively suggest that it's one of the worst civic expenditures from a purely economic perspective you could embark on.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It find it astonishing that there are still people who think that spending public funds on luxury items like sports arena makes any sense.

Roads, hospitals, schools and public transportation please.

Reactions: NB613 and HF Reader

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
It find it astonishing that there are still people who think that spending public funds on luxury items like sports arena makes any sense.

Roads, hospitals, schools and public transportation please.

The only people who want the government to foot a large chunk of the bill for a new arena are getting paid (modestly) per post by Yuge himself.

Melnyk would not even be allowed to buy an NHL team with his legal issues over the past decade, if somehow he was gifted a new arena he would find a new way to destroy the asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad