Speculation: Remainings UFA'S....where do you see them?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Jets needed to move that contract out. They don't/didn't have space for it. They currently have about $10.2 in cap space. We have 3.7 in bonuses that players will likely earn leaving $6.5 tops to lock up Morrissey long term without inuring a cap overage penalty. Mason's $4.1 he was owed this year is nowhere near to fitting. We basically sold Armia to the Habs to buy out Mason because we don't even have cap space to absorb the buyout cost without it forcing us to bridge Morrissey.

Jets will claim McElhinney or Sparks from the Leafs when the season starts and will have a backup that can provide at least the same .906 that Mason put up for us last year for less than a quarter of the cost.

So they're going to pay a third G after Brossoit and his one way deal? And still have a worse backup than Mason.

Just to re-hash. We traded Mason, Armia, 4th, 7th for Bourque(nothing). It made no sense. The cap ramifications alone don't explain it.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Jets needed to move that contract out. They don't/didn't have space for it. They currently have about $10.2 in cap space. We have 3.7 in bonuses that players will likely earn leaving $6.5 tops to lock up Morrissey long term without inuring a cap overage penalty. Mason's $4.1 he was owed this year is nowhere near to fitting. We basically sold Armia to the Habs to buy out Mason because we don't even have cap space to absorb the buyout cost without it forcing us to bridge Morrissey.

Jets will claim McElhinney or Sparks from the Leafs when the season starts and will have a backup that can provide at least the same .906 that Mason put up for us last year for less than a quarter of the cost.

Trade you Lindgren for Petan.

ajpro20

Jul 3, 2012
Toronto, ontario
Regarding Bieksa, I enjoyed him in Vancouver too. I did not enjoy him in Anaheim. He's done. Even on a bad team, he gambles like he can still play and skate, but he can't. He would just be showing younger players how to play bad hockey. A bad team would be better off giving ice time to younger players.

Vermette too. Past face-offs, he has nothing left. Win the face-off... lose the puck due to bad center play. He's done.
Yeah true i never really watched much of joky or bieksa so i think i was just stuck on what they used to be. I'm familiar with the majority of the other ufas so i know what to expect from each player for the most part aha Most on the thread are saying bieksa and jokinen are done so i will definitely take everyone's word for it aha

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I know Nash is contemplating retirement but for teams with cap space to burn, I don't see why they wouldn't throw him a tantalizing 1 year deal.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
So they're going to pay a third G after Brossoit and his one way deal? And still have a worse backup than Mason.

Just to re-hash. We traded Mason, Armia, 4th, 7th for Bourque(nothing). It made no sense. The cap ramifications alone don't explain it.

Yes. I think they pay a third G, just like they paid Hutch last year. As I pointed out, Mason was bad last year so I think they actually upgrade on what Mason provided. They could sign Mason as a UFA if they wanted now that Montreal did the buyout. Bossoit and Comrie on the Moose competing to be the backup next year and Berdin in the ECHL playing as many games as possible.

Dano and Petan both have to go through waivers this year so in order to not lose one for nothing you should look at the trade like Armia, 4th, 7th + ability to lock up Morrissey long term for Mason buyout, Dano/Petan and Bourque.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
No thanks. His .886 in 37 AHL games don't do much for me.

True I wouldn't do it either.

Petan's 5 goals in 95 games indicates he's a huge bust and not worth a 7th rounder because looking at stats and not understanding the circumstances is how you base value on everything.

Hfboards logic for the win.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
His wife's American though, and they have a fairly new baby, so I could see him sticking around this year and waiting to be signed during the season when some team's goalie inevitably gets hurt or plays awful for a long stretch.

Caps were sniffing around Kari. I could easily see them adding him on a 1yr deal for Holtby insurance. Don’t think Cup winner can trust Copley as the primary back up.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Who's gonna sign? where? who's gonna have to sign super cheap? who's gonna end up retiring? not finding job?

Your predictions.....

PS cant believe that Vermette is still available, super strong on faceoffs, can kill penalties, still a little bit of offense for a 4th liner.....
Where do I see most of them ?

Sitting by the fireplace... or by the phone.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Odd comment to make.
He was fine as a Leaf, and is hardly often considered a career Leaf, so odd distinction to make.

Both his overrating and decline came largely after his time as a Leaf.
With due respect, you might be misremembering his stay with Toronto.

Him (and Fraser) were overhyped because of the voodoo magic that are analytics...

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
And what cap space do the Jets have. They unloaded Mason and signed a $650,000 back up so they can stay under the cap. As of this moment the Jets have a 21 player roster with $10.239 M in cap space still needing to sign Morrissey. Most Jets fans are expecting something long term with an AAV in the $5.5 M range. So now we would be down to $4.739 M. Add in $3.713 in ELC performance bonuses and yeah they will be paid out considering most of it goes to Laine, followed by Connor. That leaves $1.026 M for the 23rd roster player. Most or expecting it to be Petan with his $874,125 cap hit. That would leave them $151,875 under the cap. A little shy of the $4.1 M Mason contract before he was bought out.
They could have brought him back for less than $1M once Montréal bought him out.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I could see Davidson back to Edmonton now that Sekera is out indefinitely.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Top 20 remaining FA forwards in terms of points:

1. Rick Nash
2. Mike Cammalleri
3. Daniel Winnik
4. Scott Hartnell
5. Mark Letestu
6. Troy Brouwer
7. Scottie Upshall
8. Benoit Pouliot
9. Alex Chiasson
10. Nick Shore
11. Chris Stewart
12. Antoine Vermette
13. Jussi Jokinen
14. Tommy Wingels
15. Drew Stafford
16. Logan Shaw
17. Jason Chimera
18. Dominic Moore
19. Matt Stajan
20. Joel Ward

And the top remaining FA D-men:

1. Luca Sbisa
2. Alexei Emelin
3. Johnny Oduya
4. Jakub Jerabek
5. Kevin Bieksa
6. Cody Franson
7. Brandon Davidson
8. Toby Enstrom
9. Dennis Seidenberg
10. Ryan Sproul

And the 4 FA goaltenders with NHL starts last year:

1. Kari Lehtonen
2. Ondrej Pavelec
3. Jeff Glass
4. Steve Mason
That's some mountain of stink right there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad