Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
DOC-Sid-Marner
Bunting-Geno-Rust
Rakell-Eller-Yager
Poulin-Pono-Puljujavri

Has a 2016-ish feel to it. I'm sure Toronto would love to send us another top line winger only to have us win another cup.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
DOC-Sid-Marner
Bunting-Geno-Rust
Rakell-Eller-Yager
Poulin-Pono-Puljujavri

Has a 2016-ish feel to it. I'm sure Toronto would love to send us another top line winger only to have us win another cup.
I’d put Marner with Geno…he needs a player like Marner who can carry the puck…Sid needs him less

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I’d put Marner with Geno…he needs a player like Marner who can carry the puck…Sid needs him less
I maybe don't disagree with what you said but (knowing full well it's true) I still don't take Marner away from Sid. That duo would work better than Geno-Marner.

Reactions: molon labe

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
I want to see the Oilers implode so they can trade for Jarry. I would imagine he would want to go there. Or just wait after two months into the season, to dump him, when he is actually a very good goalie lol
The Kings could maybe trade for Jarry if they lose in the 1st round? :sarcasm:

Reactions: TNT87

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
DOC-Sid-Marner
Bunting-Geno-Rust
Rakell-Eller-Yager
Poulin-Pono-Puljujavri

I like that lineup...but who or what are the Pens trading for Marner in this scenario? I find it hard to believe Yager wouldn't be going the other way.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I like Marner, but dude has 5 goals in his last 33 playoff games.

Not a great statline to add to an aging, already pass-happy squad at an 11 mil cap hit. Guentzel had 8 goals in his 7 game 2022 playoff run.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Marner would be a godsend to this club if for nothing else but his ability to gain the offensive zone on the PP.

It would be hilarious to watch this team get a guy like Marner somehow who has an established rep for being able to do this and he went on to be awful here on the powerplay. Only for the team to conclude not that Todd Reirden and the coaching staff in general are failures but it's actually Evgeni Malkin's fault.

I guess that was kind of the case with EK. But evidently the narrative now is that he was NEVER actually good on the powerplay. Which... I guess my memory must actually be finally going. Because that's not how I remember EK on other teams.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Pretty funny that the crazy wild card race is just gonna end up in a bunch of sweeps. Isles, Lightning and Caps all look terrible. Pens might have been the only team to make things interesting. Oh well.

Against New York.....maybe.

Canes would have been a snooz fest of losses and Florida would have embarrassed us. Team needs to get much better if we're to make anything interesting imo.

Yes, yes, and more yes to Marner. I'm one of the biggest proponents of this team getting tougher - but if that dude is remotely available you pay him and get him here. That would be like, literally a better version of Jake who also plays REALLY good defense. You absolutely still go get your mucker-uppers AFTER that.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I like that lineup...but who or what are the Pens trading for Marner in this scenario? I find it hard to believe Yager wouldn't be going the other way.
Smith and Graves. Ideally.

My guess would be they would be most interested in picks and prospects and the cap space to reallocate for other needs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It would be hilarious to watch this team get a guy like Marner somehow who has an established rep for being able to do this and he went on to be awful here on the powerplay. Only for the team to conclude not that Todd Reirden and the coaching staff in general are failures but it's actually Evgeni Malkin's fault.

I guess that was kind of the case with EK. But evidently the narrative now is that he was NEVER actually good on the powerplay. Which... I guess my memory must actually be finally going. Because that's not how I remember EK on other teams.

I believe Marner plays Malkin's spot on the powerplay so I don't think Malkin would be on the top unit if we brought him in.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Smith and Graves. Ideally.

My guess would be they would be most interested in picks and prospects and the cap space to reallocate for other needs.

I don't know if they take that, though it bolsters their D corps and gives them cap flexibility with Smith only having one year so who knows.

Any combination that it takes to land Marner we would be silly not to explore. Dude would very much change the trajectory of this team now and in the near future.

It would make me sick to see him play under Sullivan though.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't know if they take that, though it bolsters their D corps and gives them cap flexibility with Smith only having one year so who knows.

Any combination that it takes to land Marner we would be silly not to explore. Dude would very much change the trajectory of this team now and in the near future.

It would make me sick to see him play under Sullivan though.
I was joking. When I made the roster, I wasn't being totally serious and didn't have my usual long winded explanation of how everything comes to be.

Reactions: molon labe

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I have no philosophical qualms with the Pens pursuing Marner - he's a very, very good winger and young enough that he makes sense to keep around long-term. I just can't picture the Leafs having any incentive to trade him for what the Pens would realistically be willing to offer.

Hell, Toronto hasn't even been eliminated yet. Who knows what their long-term plans for Marner are? A lot can change in a week this time of year.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Pretty funny that the crazy wild card race is just gonna end up in a bunch of sweeps. Isles, Lightning and Caps all look terrible. Pens might have been the only team to make things interesting. Oh well.
Detroit and the Pens absolutely would have put up better showings than the Isles/Caps have, though I think both would have ultimately still lost in the first round as well.

Ah well.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I have no philosophical qualms with the Pens pursuing Marner - he's a very, very good winger and young enough that he makes sense to keep around long-term. I just can't picture the Leafs having any incentive to trade him for what the Pens would realistically be willing to offer.

Hell, Toronto hasn't even been eliminated yet. Who knows what their long-term plans for Marner are? A lot can change in a week this time of year.
Yeah we have nothing to offer. If they want a futures based package we can't beat what other team's can offer and we can't afford to be shipping out the few blue chippers we have.

And if they want more of a win now package we can't help them much there either.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Smith and Petts might do it.
I imagine they'd want a pick or prospect to go with it but if that's the base, it would be an interesting discussion. It would similar to the EK trade - do we deal depth players for a high end player on an expensive contract?

We don't want to be the Leafs...we see how that goes. But if you could do something like move EK to Ottawa or somewhere else for a Pettersson level dman in return, that would be an interesting thought experiment.

And if that ends up being the case, we have to lean on existing prospects to fill out of the roster, similar to 2016. Plenty of cap space to accommodate. Hell, we could practically take Marner's hit 100%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad