Remaining CBJ games with no fans? (COVID-19 pandemic thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It's not really possible because the necessary information wasn't being tracked.

The "necessary information" isn't being tracked now.

Not even from watching old tapes of games they played in?

Ah, well, we wouldn't you to possibly base your opinions and come to conclusions based on things like actual gameplay, along with possibly coming to the realization that the intricateness of every few seconds of a hockey game cannot be "measured" or "explained" by plugging in some numbers into a calculator.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It won't go away on its own. The initial shutdown was to prevent hospital capacity from being overwhelmed and not to eradicate the virus.

It wont "go away" ever, on its own, or with help of Billy Gates and a mixture of fetal cells, aluminum and a dash of "controlled" Covid-19.

Just wait until Coronavirus Disease 2020

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
People require ICU care for many different reasons. Numbers on the surface tell one story. Dig deeper into the details it may tell a different story.

For what it's worth I'm not a republican but I like to look at both sides of the fence because political parties and media sources are getting very adept at conveniently pushing the data sources they want to fit their agenda.

I honestly don't know what to believe at this point but it takes an individual a ton of research to really dig into the truth (or what they believe is the truth) and I am very skeptical on stats thrown out these days. Unfortunately we seems to be way past the days we can read the news and honestly believe we are getting the complete truth.

That being said, this can also seem to shed some light on ICU bed reporting as a counterpoint. I'm not telling anyone what to believe. i just believe we should seek out more information to understand a bigger picture.

Coronavirus: Here’s why Florida is changing the way its reporting ICU beds

Fwiw, Florida has fewer than 2k ICU beds statewide and around 20k hospital beds. Ohio has about 1,250 ICU beds and 14,200 hospital beds. Florida has ~10m more residents.

I don't think the "ICU bed due to covid" matters because, like I said, we wanted to avoid a scenario in which a bed or treatment had to be decided upon for a severely ill patient - whether that's covid or something else. Unless Florida hospitals routinely operate at 80-90+% capacity, it's troubling. Ohio ICUs are at ~50% capacity, some even lower right now.

I'm taking that "Florida changing the way its reporting" with a huge grain of salt. They already got caught firing one of its employees after she refused to suppress data in her reports. So there's plenty of sketchiness going on in the Sunshine state.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Umm, excuse me?? We don't?? You didn't hear or you yourself shout from the rooftop??

Its all we could hear about for awhile.....

YOU DIE, d-i-e.....AHHHHH. :scared:
At every turn, you or Breadman says some nonsense that two or three weeks later turns out to be completely incompetent. We have just suffered our worst week of infections yet as a nation, and our nation is at the bottom of the list when it comes to preventing infections and the spread of the disease. When are you guys going to get a damn clue? Or have you burnt that bridge?

I want to watch the Jackets beat Toronto as much as anyone but with belligerent States succumbing to this virus because they’re being f***ing idiots about protecting people, how is watching hockey on the radar?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Fwiw, Florida has fewer than 2k ICU beds statewide and around 20k hospital beds. Ohio has about 1,250 ICU beds and 14,200 hospital beds. Florida has ~10m more residents.

I don't think the "ICU bed due to covid" matters because, like I said, we wanted to avoid a scenario in which a bed or treatment had to be decided upon for a severely ill patient - whether that's covid or something else. Unless Florida hospitals routinely operate at 80-90+% capacity, it's troubling. Ohio ICUs are at ~50% capacity, some even lower right now.

I'm taking that "Florida changing the way its reporting" with a huge grain of salt. They already got caught firing one of its employees after she refused to suppress data in her reports. So there's plenty of sketchiness going on in the Sunshine state.

Florida is a bass ackward state if there ever was one. Its redneck central except for the metro areas. And the current governor is like a mini-Trump. I would put nothing past them trying to manipulate the numbers.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
At every turn, you or Breadman says some nonsense that two or three weeks later turns out to be completely incompetent. We have just suffered our worst week of infections yet as a nation, and our nation is at the bottom of the list when it comes to preventing infections and the spread of the disease. When are you guys going to get a damn clue? Or have you burnt that bridge?

I want to watch the Jackets beat Toronto as much as anyone but with belligerent States succumbing to this virus because they’re being f***ing idiots about protecting people, how is watching hockey on the radar?

I just want to point out that it is possible to watch hockey and be concerned about the virus. They don’t necessarily depend on each other. All I can do is take care of myself and wear a mask when appropriate while not putting myself in reckless situations.

I trust the league are taking appropriate steps to maintain safety of the players. Myself and the NHL cannot be responsible for a bunch of 20 somethings who want to do Jell-O shots off of each other in a bar and don’t care about protecting themselves and others.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I just want to point out that it is possible to watch hockey and be concerned about the virus. They don’t necessarily depend on each other. All I can do is take care of myself and wear a mask when appropriate while not putting myself in reckless situations.

I trust the league are taking appropriate steps to maintain safety of the players. Myself and the NHL cannot be responsible for a bunch of 20 somethings who want to do Jell-O shots off of each other in a bar and don’t care about protecting themselves and others.
Absolutely we should be able to watch hockey and be concerned about the virus, they’re not exclusive. It would come down to execution of a plan and commitment to adhering to protocol. Our leaders, though, are not showing leadership where it comes to taking this disease seriously and that seems to be corrupting all other efforts to mitigate the spread. So we find ourselves in a situation in which there are clear examples of why we can’t have nice things, like Blue Jackets hockey.

I hear the argument that players and staff might be safer in a bubble. I personally think home is the safest place, but I can see how a bubble theoretically could be safe. Maybe the NHL and sports leagues could show the leadership the country is desperate for, and god knows isolating at home would be so much better watching the Jackets, Indians and Browns. I still think it’s an extremely heavy lift because sports teams have such large staff and support teams, and the hotels where they will be staying will also be a challenge.

I just really want the ignorant and dismissive takes on this to be seen as destructive, and that things are the way they are now because those voices are taken even partly seriously. I don’t know if we will be able to have any real normalcy until there’s a vaccine, but it’s not outlandish to think that if the clowns weren’t such clowns a couple months ago, watching sports by now or at least soon wouldn’t be off the menu.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

actually no, this isn’t remotely the case . Deaths from the coronavirus are falling off a cliff , only 2.9% of all cases identified ending 6-23 showed any symptoms and of the virus

Reactions: thebus88

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
actually no, this isn’t remotely the case . Deaths from the coronavirus are falling off a cliff , only 2.9% of all cases identified ending 6-23 showed any symptoms and of the virus
This is what I’m talking about. This past week saw the highest number of daily infections yet, for two days in a row. The worst yet, of the whole pandemic.
Deaths have gone down, yes, thankfully. But so had infections, until this past week. So not only is what I said remotely true, it’s the only true thing.

I hope the fatality rate doesn’t come to reflect the nfections spike, and I know treatment has improved somewhat. But we still don’t even know how long term health is impacted by COVID.

all of these things are so important and there are serious people trying to find answers and prevent infections. Then there are unserious people such as yourself who seem intent on spreading nonsense and going on the attack for things as benign as wearing masks. Wearing masks! It’s wild.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
This is what I’m talking about. This past week saw the highest number of daily infections yet, for two days in a row. The worst yet, of the whole pandemic.
Deaths have gone down, yes, thankfully. But so had infections, until this past week. So not only is what I said remotely true, it’s the only true thing.

I hope the fatality rate doesn’t come to reflect the nfections spike, and I know treatment has improved somewhat. But we still don’t even know how long term health is impacted by COVID.

all of these things are so important and there are serious people trying to find answers and prevent infections. Then there are unserious people such as yourself who seem intent on spreading nonsense and going on the attack for things as benign as wearing masks. Wearing masks! It’s wild.
Maybe I missed my post saying not to wear a mask ? Pretty sure I’ve been focused that the lethality of this virus is petering out , and that all these rioters and protesters haven’t remotely been following social distancing protocols .

Last edited by a moderator:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
As a general FYI - there's guidelines on the COVID board w/r/t credible news sources for pandemic news (hint: it's similar in concept to what we do for the trade deadline), and we're trying to follow that in general.

Also, while I'm here - let's try to avoid assuming people's positions just because we disagree with them, OK? Doing that potentially leads to extra work for me and DSL, and I dunno about him but extra work makes me grumpy. Thanks. ;)

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Maybe I missed my post saying not to wear a mask ? Pretty sure I’ve been focused that the lethality of this virus is petering out , and that all these rioters and protesters haven’t remotely been following social distancing protocols .
The spikes have come mainly from the reopenings, the people going to bars and the beaches have been way worse than the protesters. There are no credible reports that it is all from the protests.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I don't know if we're able to parse out what is driving the spike -- openings vs. protests. But it seems pretty logical to suggest both are playing a factor. If the virus has the ability to discern and then attack those of a specific political stance, but not others, that's news to me.

The point, I might humbly suggest, is that there is a clear SPIKE. Here and elsewhere. That ain't good. And it should be dealt with.

If only we had reasonable and simple tactics and approaches that could mitigate spread ...

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The spikes have come mainly from the reopenings, the people going to bars and the beaches have been way worse than the protesters. There are no credible reports that it is all from the protests.
Yes because social distancing is happening at the protest , just saw thousands packed shoulder to shoulder in the Chicago pride rally yesterday :laugh:. Yet every restaurant , small business I’ve been in they are practicing social distancing . Not saying the bars aren’t an issue , but to try to pin it on business opening back up , and not the protest is laughable , yet a narrative the media has tried to push .

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yes because social distancing is happening at the protest , just saw thousands packed shoulder to shoulder in the Chicago pride rally yesterday :laugh:. Yet every restaurant , small business I’ve been in they are practicing social distancing . Not saying the bars aren’t an issue , but to try to pin it on business opening back up , and not the protest is laughable , yet a narrative the media has tried to push .
Reopenings are one of those things that can be delayed or modified to mitigate spread. Protests are... less readily amenable to such scheduling. Both are probable contributing factors, but one at least can be adequately managed. (Well, okay, presumably one could also immediately fix the issues that folks are protesting about and then they stop protesting, but that's 1) impractical at best w/r/t solving the immediate pandemic problem and 2) likely beyond the scope of the thread.)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I copied and pasted this from a bar on High Street called the Bier Stube's Facebook page. I'm not familiar with it but maybe I want to go there now and give them my business. Apologies for the language.

"The staff at the stube has busted our asses to keep people safe and do everything we can to make it possible to have a good time. We recently have had customers completely disrespectful and being completely ignorant to the fact that we are playing by the rules. Customers may be use to the places that don’t give a shit. Don’t bring your disrespect to the stube. My staff is trying so hard. Go somewhere they don’t care about safety. Apparently there are plenty of bars that don’t give a shit. The stube has the best and loyal customers of any bar in the world. It’s the assholes that will ruin this for the 99.9 % of the Stuber’s that call this place home."

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I am not saying there is no spread from the protests, just that from what I have read and seen for myself, it is more from the reopening than the protests. You look at the main states that are spiking, Florida, Texas, and Arizona. Hardly protesting hot beds. I have been to businesses and restaurants also, some are following guidelines, some aren't. I went golfing yesterday, of the 8 people in line with me inside the clubhouse, I was the only one wearing a mask and observing the 6 foot rule. I also went out to eat and there the majority of people were following the rules. It is a combination of a lot of things, but the reopenings involve way more people than the protests do, and that is where the majority of the spike is coming from.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I am not saying there is no spread from the protests, just that from what I have read and seen for myself, it is more from the reopening than the protests. You look at the main states that are spiking, Florida, Texas, and Arizona. Hardly protesting hot beds. I have been to businesses and restaurants also, some are following guidelines, some aren't. I went golfing yesterday, of the 8 people in line with me inside the clubhouse, I was the only one wearing a mask and observing the 6 foot rule. I also went out to eat and there the majority of people were following the rules. It is a combination of a lot of things, but the reopenings involve way more people than the protests do, and that is where the majority of the spike is coming from.

A couple supporting links from the mains thread:

Minnesota sees no rise in COVID-19 cases tied to protests: Health official

Four Minnesota bars linked to youth COVID-19 surge

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
When will people learn to not trust what is being shoved down the American people’s throats . So we have documented here , Deblasio ordering contract tracers they are not allowed to ask if you attended a protest . Guarantee you do some legwork , and dig in other areas , this same thing is happening all over the country . We were told social distancing , 6 ft stops the spread . Sorry , I’ve seen about 50/50 people wearing face coverings in these protest , and I’ve seen people packed into the streets right on top of one another .

De Blasio Tells Covid Contract Tracers Not to Ask Positive Cases If They’ve Attended BLM Protests

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
When will people learn to not trust what is being shoved down the American people’s throats . So we have documented here , Deblasio ordering contract tracers they are not allowed to ask if you attended a protest . Guarantee you do some legwork , and dig in other areas , this same thing is happening all over the country . We were told social distancing , 6 ft stops the spread . Sorry , I’ve seen about 50/50 people wearing face coverings in these protest , and I’ve seen people packed into the streets right on top of one another .

De Blasio Tells Covid Contract Tracers Not to Ask Positive Cases If They’ve Attended BLM Protests

Are the health officials quoted and the statistics coming from the health department just completely fabricated?

I also just read the article you provided. So what? It reads to me like they're also not specifically being asked about attending church, going to bars, etc. Wtf does it matter if they are or are not specifically asked about a protest? They are asked about risky behavior (details cited in the article) and a protest would fall under those parameters in most cases.

Reactions: Monstershockey

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Are the health officials quoted and the statistics coming from the health department just completely fabricated?

I also just read the article you provided. So what? It reads to me like they're also not specifically being asked about attending church, going to bars, etc. Wtf does it matter if they are or are not specifically asked about a protest? They are asked about risky behavior (details cited in the article) and a protest would fall under those parameters in most cases.
No , they are specifically instructed to not ask about it , because as they admit it will lead to a spike in the numbers , and they feel the cause is worth it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad