Remaining CBJ games with no fans? (COVID-19 pandemic thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Three people in Cleveland have tested positive and 15 people are being investigated/tested. I can understand precautions around The Arnold, with lots of people flying in from all over the world, but most people going to these events are from the area.

Seems, to me, like an overreaction.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Well this would suck a whole lot of ass. I'm flying to Columbus Thursday to see the Pens and Preds games in NWA for the first time in a long time :(

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I wrestle with this. The Arnold felt like an overreaction and this FEELS like an overreaction.

But a lot of smart people say this is serious shit.

The downside to overreaction feels like some lost revenue to sports and business and people don't get to see sports in person.
The downside to not overreacting feels much worse.

I think I'd rather be healthy and look foolish than to be defiant and possibly perpetuate something that might, at this point, be containable.

Is there middle ground? Maybe. But I'm not hearing those suggestions. The medical professionals clearly favor limiting human interaction as a tactic.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Not to mention there's something darkly funny about the sports leagues all coming out to today to say they're limiting locker room access to protect their athletes, but when it comes to the thousands of spectators at their events ... well, it'd be weird playing without fans (and especially their money), right?

There's an acknowledgement of concern right up until it might cost them some money.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I don’t understand why outdoor events could continue as normal if indoor events should happen without fans. As I understand it, the virus is transferred via surfaces and person to person contact. I’m not saying quarantine everyone, I just don’t understand the distinction.

To me it's as simple as you're probably much, much closer to other people indoors than you are outdoors. In the seats, in the hallways, etc.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
I think it's a recommendation from DeWine and not an order, so at this point, I assume the CBJ games (and Cavs games and NCAA tourney games), will have spectators present. Obviously this could all change if it becomes mandatory.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
The flu has killed more this year.. the FLU ... this is nothing but BS....

I think it's hilarious when people say a new version of the flu (assuming that's all it is, and that's still an assumption) isn't a big deal.

The flu kills people, like you said. How is having a NEW version of it (again assuming that's all it is), that no one is vaccinated for, not a big deal?

Reactions: db2011 and Lumbus

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I think it's a recommendation from DeWine and not an order, so at this point, I assume the CBJ games (and Cavs games and NCAA tourney games), will have spectators present. Obviously this could all change if it becomes mandatory.

Yep.

But this feels like "I'm asking you to clean your room."
The next step is "Now I'm telling to you to clean your room."

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
While I am trying to be sensitive to the issue at hand, especially the doctors, scientists, and workers in the health industry and what they're going through (and obviously the victims as well) but this is an overreaction.

I get being safe and I get you have to be cautious but If I recall correctly this disease is only deadly if you are elderly or a weak immune system. You/we shouldn't have to cease normal living capabilities just because of an outbreak unless you are at risk or FEEL like you are at risk.

But better be safe than sorry I guess. Feel bad for those fans and STHers who have tickets.

Fireball23

Mar 5, 2014
does it really matter?
I think it's hilarious when people say a new version of the flu (assuming that's all it is, and that's still an assumption) isn't a big deal.

The flu kills people, like you said. How is having a NEW version of it (again assuming that's all it is), that no one is vaccinated for, not a big deal?

Not everyone gets the flu shot. Many people have gotten the shot and still got the flu...

Reactions: thebus88 and CPTN71

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Not to me.

Italy went from 600 cases to 11,000 in eleven days. It spreads like wildfire. The more cautious, the better.

Ohio has 3 cases, none in central Ohio. 15 are under investigation or being tested. That's 0.0001% of the state population - and all the confirmed cases are in northeast Ohio. Now, if we were actually testing at the scales of, say, South Korea...then we might have a different answer.

But yes, based on Italy and Wuhan, there is an initial phase where the cases grow quickly. But my issue with the Governor's recommendation is why there is a distinction for outdoor and indoor events. Going to a Crew game isn't any less likely to result in an infection (statistically, very low right now) than going to a Blue Jackets game. The virus doesn't just dissipate up in the air.

Fireball23

Mar 5, 2014
does it really matter?
This is a dangerously misinformed post - and I say that as someone who thinks the Governor is going a little overboard with these recommendations, at least on the indoor/outdoor distinction.
Has it not killed more than this ?? about 20,000 according to the cdc .. just this year alone... C -virus ... less than 20 here in the states... total..

If you know anything about the CDC... .. do a study on Lyme's disease and chronic Lyme's and what the do to dr's who don't follow the guidelines .. this is since the mid 70s..

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Not everyone gets the flu shot. Many people have gotten the shot and still got the flu...

There is no known COVID-19 vaccine at this time. It's 34x more deadly than the seasonal flu, largely among the elderly or those with weakened immune systems.

There is a middle ground of "cancel all events" and "this is BS, it's just like the seasonal flu." I'm in that middle ground. Take precautions, wash your hands more, etc. etc. If you're elderly, yeah, maybe skip some bigger community events and travel. But I think the governor is borderline causing *more* panic with some of these recommendations. Like I said, 0.0001% of Ohio's population is even suspected of having it right now. Obviously we don't want that to grow, but the cases are isolated to NEO at this time.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Has it not killed more than this ?? about 20,000 according to the cdc .. just this year alone... C -virus ... less than 20 here in the states... total..

You're trying to compare an endemic flu with a death rate of .1% to one that has just made its way to the U.S. and has a death rate of 3.4% and no known vaccine. People who share your attitude and continue to dismiss it are going to get a lot of people killed.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I’m not making judgement right now. I just don’t want to live my life in fear and I hope this doesn’t get looked back on 20 years from now as the “Great Overreaction of 2020”

Reactions: Fro

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I’m not making judgement right now. I just don’t want to live my life in fear and I hope this doesn’t get looked back on 20 years from now as the “Great Overreaction of 2020”
I don't want to live my life in fear, either. But I'm willing to acknowledge that there are people a lot smarter than me who know a lot more about this than me. And if they're worried, I'm worried. I'd rather look back at the "Great Overreaction of 2020" than look back at "the awful pandemic that might not have been as bad if people hadn't been so stupid."

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Did DeWine actually consult with medical professionals before making this proclamation or is this just another case of a politician making a knee-jerk reaction?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don't want to live my life in fear, either. But I'm willing to acknowledge that there are people a lot smarter than me who know a lot more about this than me. And if they're worried, I'm worried. I'd rather look back at the "Great Overreaction of 2020" than look back at "the awful pandemic that might not have been as bad if people hadn't been so stupid."

If we reach a point where going out in public is stupid, it’s already too late. Canceling live attendance at sporting events and other mass gatherings for 3 weeks won’t make it go away.

Reactions: CPTN71

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Well, I don't think the idea is "wait three weeks, and it'll be over." I think it's more like "hopefully we'll have a better idea of what the hell is going on by then."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad