Remaining CBJ games with no fans? (COVID-19 pandemic thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
There's an argument that it could potentially be good for free agency, but I could also see it the other way where you have a bunch of guys essentially "locked up" in the city and having to stay in their bubble with nothing to do, and that leads to a bit of resentment toward the city.
Those were my thoughts as well. It doesn't exactly portray the city in a positive light.

Plus, having the hub cities be in the Pacific time zone means they can start earlier and have 4-5 games in the same venue before it is super late on the East Coast.

Last edited:

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Almost like food is essential and sports aren't. Almost like one can be performed with masks and the other can't.
Right? Are we so far gone that we can’t distinguish between entertainment and essential? Goddamn.

I feel for grocery workers. But the inverse logic being used here is “some people are at risk, then everybody should be at risk”. Except that’s not logic. That’s recklessness. And if you’re worried about your 17 year-old, then tell him or her to quit!

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Right? Are we so far gone that we can’t distinguish between entertainment and essential? Goddamn.

I feel for grocery workers. But the inverse logic being used here is “some people are at risk, then everybody should be at risk”. Except that’s not logic. That’s recklessness. And if you’re worried about your 17 year-old, then tell him or her to quit!

You call it entertainment, others call it their career/job. There is an argument to be said that these players will be in a safer environment once they enter the bubble than any of us will be in our day to day lives. Yet we have to take potentially bigger risks to feed families and keep roofs over our heads. The term "essential worker" gets thrown around way too much at this point. We are past that. The world must go on to a certain degree with precautions regardless if you work in fast food or you shoot hockey pucks.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Personally I’m not worried , and if the government really thought there was a major risk in in this covid situation , the stores wouldn’t be open , or at minimum kids under 18 wouldn’t be working . Heck Dewine admitted yesterday most of the cases in Ohio come from nursing homes , prisons , and he admitted that when someone test positive , and they keep getting tested to make sure it’s cleared, each subsequent positive test is added to the totals . So one person could account for 10 positive test . I just find it funny when people act like we should shut it down in the wake if a few athletes testing positive , when the rest of us are back to work , living our lives, running out businesses, etc . The hospitals aren’t near capacity, the virus has severely weakened, most of the positive test these days are asymptotic people coming in for other things , getting tested with bloodwork and it may show a positive . Anyway , I’m pumped for the season to return and hope we kick the crap out of Toronto

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Personally I’m not worried , and if the government really thought there was a major risk in in this covid situation , the stores wouldn’t be open , or at minimum kids under 18 wouldn’t be working . Heck Dewine admitted yesterday most of the cases in Ohio come from nursing homes , prisons , and he admitted that when someone test positive , and they keep getting tested to make sure it’s cleared, each subsequent positive test is added to the totals . So one person could account for 10 positive test . I just find it funny when people act like we should shut it down in the wake if a few athletes testing positive , when the rest of us are back to work , living our lives, running out businesses, etc . The hospitals aren’t near capacity, the virus has severely weakened, most of the positive test these days are asymptotic people coming in for other things , getting tested with bloodwork and it may show a positive . Anyway , I’m pumped for the season to return and hope we kick the crap out of Toronto

Well, there's some really wrong information, points and assumptions in there about COVID in general.

But you're right a few athletes testing positive right now isn't going to shut the NHL down. The league has a plan in place and will do everything it can do execute it in full.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Well, there's some really wrong information, points and assumptions in there about COVID in general.

From Bread Man, or from literally "everybody" and "everywhere", especially on this board.

What is the true relationship between facts and predictions?

Fire Torts

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Reactions: thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
“We need to change our mindset and focus not exclusively on the number of cases, but on the severity of illness. We shouldn’t just be counting those who have a diagnosed infection,” Yealy said. “For the vast majority of people testing positive, their illness is mild, or they don’t even know they have any symptoms of COVID-19 infection

UPMC doctor sees too much focus on rising COVID-19 cases, too little on declining severity and hospitalizations
This is true. Hospitalizations is the crucial stat when it comes down to it. That is the real barometer on if things need to shut down or scale back. It is the whole reason we shut down to begin with. It won't go away on its own. The initial shutdown was to prevent hospital capacity from being overwhelmed and not to eradicate the virus. It should also be the measure if things need to scale back.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
“We need to change our mindset and focus not exclusively on the number of cases, but on the severity of illness. We shouldn’t just be counting those who have a diagnosed infection,” Yealy said. “For the vast majority of people testing positive, their illness is mild, or they don’t even know they have any symptoms of COVID-19 infection

UPMC doctor sees too much focus on rising COVID-19 cases, too little on declining severity and hospitalizations

Yes, definitely focus on hospitalization numbers. I'm heartened that you are suddenly interested in hospitalization statistics.

Reactions: Viqsi

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
This is true. Hospitalizations is the crucial stat when it comes down to it. That is the real barometer on if things need to shut down or scale back. It is the whole reason we shut down to begin with. It won't go away on its own. The initial shutdown was to prevent hospital capacity from being overwhelmed and not to eradicate the virus. It should also be the measure if things need to scale back.
Yup , it was to flatten the curve . The Hospitals aren’t remotely near capacity .

Mar 1, 2002

Nobody has any clue about the long-term affects of having this. Even healthy people that have gotten it have shown long-term issues from it.

Lifelong Lung Damage: A Serious COVID-19 Complication

Reactions: Lumbus

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

:facepalm:

So what happens when a person that doesn't need hospitalization goes and visits someone and transmits the disease to a person who needs hospitalization? This doctor's comment smacks of let's wait until the horse is out of the barn and then we'll close the door. The more cases identified means there is more chances than we thought that the disease could (and in my opinion will) get worse. The old adage of "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" seems applicable to fighting this pandemic. Unfortunately too many people, including many "leaders", don't get it.

:dunno:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Here's Florida - Map: With coronavirus cases rising in Florida, how much capacity do hospitals currently have?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
https://www.newsweek.com/houston-ic...texas-coronavirus-cases-break-records-1513077

During a City Council meeting Wednesday morning, Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said 97 percent of the city's ICU beds were filled.
Just for reference and transparency, this is 1 facility and not the whole state.

97 percent of ICU beds at Texas Medical Center now occupied as COVID-19 cases reach record highs

At the Texas Medical Center in Houston, 97 percent of ICU beds were occupied on Tuesday. Twenty-seven percent of those ICU patients have COVID-19.

It is definitely something to watch but this biggest thing anyone can do is simply follow what they are being asked to do. Regardless if you do an official "shutdown" or not it doesn't mean a damn thing if people in certain areas refuse to follow the CDC guidelines. It seems these spike locations tend to be in specific locations that just haven't taken things seriously. I have my speculations as to why but I'm not going to go down that road.

Reactions: The Bread Man

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Unless I'm missing it, you link shows the numbers of ICU beds at each hospital in FL but what percentage of those filled are filled because of Covid? This shows that the largest ICU capacity in the state is in Gainesville and only has 13% free. For comparison, what is their normal percentage?

I don't doubt that there could be and most likely is a correlation between increases in cases and hospitalizations. However, personal responsibility is going to be the one key thing that can control this. We can apply government restrictions all we want but if people don't follow them and enforce them it won't matter. I find it curious that most of these places where the spikes are occurring are in places that seemed to be the loudest voices against the restrictions to begin with and seem to follow a certain political mindset. Until those people realize they need to do something different, it won't change.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Unless I'm missing it, you link shows the numbers of ICU beds at each hospital in FL but what percentage of those filled are filled because of Covid? This shows that the largest ICU capacity in the state is in Gainesville and only has 13% free. For comparison, what is their normal percentage?

Why would "% filled due to Covid" matter? Many counties are precariously close to 100% capacity - the exact scenario we want to avoid.

I don't live in Florida. You can try Googling for results of what their "normal" percentage is?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Why would "% filled due to Covid" matter? Many counties are precariously close to 100% capacity - the exact scenario we want to avoid.

I don't live in Florida. You can try Googling for results of what their "normal" percentage is?
People require ICU care for many different reasons. Numbers on the surface tell one story. Dig deeper into the details it may tell a different story.

For what it's worth I'm not a republican but I like to look at both sides of the fence because political parties and media sources are getting very adept at conveniently pushing the data sources they want to fit their agenda.

I honestly don't know what to believe at this point but it takes an individual a ton of research to really dig into the truth (or what they believe is the truth) and I am very skeptical on stats thrown out these days. Unfortunately we seems to be way past the days we can read the news and honestly believe we are getting the complete truth.

That being said, this can also seem to shed some light on ICU bed reporting as a counterpoint. I'm not telling anyone what to believe. i just believe we should seek out more information to understand a bigger picture.

Coronavirus: Here’s why Florida is changing the way its reporting ICU beds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->