Remaining CBJ games with no fans? (COVID-19 pandemic thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Right, if only they had American quality health care where men die on average five years younger than in Sweden. I don't believe you give a rats-ass for the truth.

Did I touch a nerve??? Haha. Your stat is wrong. Big surprise. Not. Majormajor typical. Often wrong, but never in doubt. :laugh:

They denied people over 80 ICU rooms and oxygen in many circumstances without doctor's permission. But I'm sure you knew that. Truther and all. Sweden was right about their COVID policy. Their death committees can only appeal to an amoral totalitarian.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
UNDP numbers on male life expectancy:

U.S. - 76.3 years
Sweden - 80.9 years

What's your source that says that is wrong?

I looked at a number on the US side which I thought was male and was an overall number. OK, it's about 4 years difference from what I can glean. But it has nothing to do with my initial point about denying basic treatment to oldsters in Sweden. The scope of why there are differences in lifespans between the US and Sweden is not something I'm going to debate on this board.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Sweden's COVID death toll is unnerving due to herd immunity experiment

In Sweden, the strategy has led to death, grief and suffering and on top of that there are no indications that the Swedish economy has fared better than in many other countries. At the moment, we have set an example for the rest of the world on how not to deal with a deadly infectious disease.

Sweden’s Coronavirus Approach Doesn’t Pay Off for the Economy

Sweden and Norway took very different approaches to controlling Covid-19, with the latter swiftly adopting strict lockdown controls and ramping up testing, while the former attempted to combat the virus by using mainly voluntary, non-regulatory social distancing measures.

Yet Sweden’s strategy hasn’t paid a clear dividend in supporting growth: The economy took a lesser hit than most in the first quarter, but monthly GDP-data and daily activity indexes show growth has been slow to recover after that. Meanwhile, with cases under control Norway was able to relax controls and activity has rebounded rather strongly.

Grim coronavirus death toll projected in Sweden after lax approach to pandemic

Sweden's approach has led it to have the fifth-highest death per capita rate as of now, though actual death tolls aren't likely to be known for months or years. Its 562 deaths per million citizens is still climbing and is more than 5x higher than Denmark's (106/1m residents), almost 10 higher than Finland's (59/1m residents), and nearly 12x higher than Norway's (47/1m residents).

A lot more death and almost no economic benefit to show from it. I can't believe people are still trying to defend the Sweden approach. They've completely and utterly failed.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
There is a a lot of research starting to show that nearly 80% of population may be immune to the coronavirus . Which would explain how people can live in homes with a person that test positive , and yet the whole family never contracts the virus . The theory is that once testing shows that approx 20% of population has tested positive , you have established herd immunity , which is why many think Italy totally fell off with cases , same with New York . If that’s indeed the case , then Sweden wouldn’t be looking at a surge of infections in the fall .

Dr. Rajkumar says immune response is more complex than just an antibody count. Studies suggest people who have not been exposed to the coronavirus have T cells that fight COVID-19. It's possible the preexisting immunity comes from exposure to other coronaviruses.

"These hot spots have had major decreases in coronavirus cases even though they are no where near that level," Rajkumar said.
Rajkumar is one of the world's leading researchers of plasma cells, which make antibodies. He points out antibody tests were done in COVID-19 hot spots after the cases dropped, presumably showing how many people had the disease.
In Lombardi, Italy, 15-20% of the population tested positive for antibodies. In Madrid, Spain, it was 10-15%. In Sweden, where no lockdowns have ever taken place serology studies find 10 to 20% positive.

Do some people have preexisting immunity to the coronavirus?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Right, if only they had American quality health care where men die on average five years younger than in Sweden. I don't believe you give a rats-ass for the truth.
Not to nitpick, but the discrepancies in average lifespan and health outcomes are almost certainly due to behavioral health factors (poor diet, lack of exercise leading to a prevalence of obesity, high blood pressure, and heart disease) as well as a lack of access (mainly in terms of prenatal care leading to higher infant mortality).

When it comes to the quality of health care provided in the US, the actual care is pretty good. It's just not very good for the cost nor is are outcomes very good when we factor in the previously mentioned behavioral health issues.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Not to nitpick, but the discrepancies in average lifespan and health outcomes are almost certainly due to behavioral health factors (poor diet, lack of exercise leading to a prevalence of obesity, high blood pressure, and heart disease) as well as a lack of access (mainly in terms of prenatal care leading to higher infant mortality).

When it comes to the quality of health care provided in the US, the actual care is pretty good. It's just not very good for the cost nor is are outcomes very good when we factor in the previously mentioned behavioral health issues.
Health care is great in the United States , but the best drs in the world arent going to keep you alive when your obese , eat terribly , which a lot of Americans do . United States is one of the fattest countries in the world

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Sweden's COVID death toll is unnerving due to herd immunity experiment

Sweden’s Coronavirus Approach Doesn’t Pay Off for the Economy

Grim coronavirus death toll projected in Sweden after lax approach to pandemic

Sweden's approach has led it to have the fifth-highest death per capita rate as of now, though actual death tolls aren't likely to be known for months or years. Its 562 deaths per million citizens is still climbing and is more than 5x higher than Denmark's (106/1m residents), almost 10 higher than Finland's (59/1m residents), and nearly 12x higher than Norway's (47/1m residents).

A lot more death and almost no economic benefit to show from it. I can't believe people are still trying to defend the Sweden approach. They've completely and utterly failed.
This is giving detail to what a lot of people suspected. We knew Sweden were being idiotic for months; now we know more what it will cost them

turns out ignoring a deadly infectious disease is a deadly and asinine way to deal with it.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Well, the insurance companies have to make up their money somehow, since they can't gouge people with pre-existing conditions. I hear the upkeep on the insurance executives multiple mansions and yachts is ridiculous.

Reactions: thebus88 and Fro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad