Reimer predicitions

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Mike Gillis recommends hanging on to a goalie who has asked to be traded for a year or two, hoping that his value will go up.

Every competent GM recommends trading him before the start of the season.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Using Lundqvist and Price as comparables to Reimer's situation is probably not the most useful exercise. You're basically talking about poised, competitive, athletic thoroughbred goalies with long track records of success at all levels of hockey vs a guy who has the most frail disposition and very poor hockey IQ and technique.

There are a lot of goalies out there in the hockey world. Just go and get a guy who actually wants to be a backup.

What in the world are you on about? Every professional is "athletic", you cannot separate the two. Reimer has also won and/or worked his way to the top in all the other leagues he's played in, and I contend he's still working and getting closer to being very good on a consistent basis in the NHL. "Frail disposition? - this guy wants to win and is competitive and fiery, which is exactly what you want in a teammate. Your bizarre hateful labels are unsubstantiated. After Reimer leaves, lets see who you witch-hunt next and try to burn at the stake for not single-handedly winning a Cup for this ridiculous franchise.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
What in the world are you on about? Every professional is "athletic", you cannot separate the two. Reimer has also won and/or worked his way to the top in all the other leagues he's played in, and I contend he's still working and getting closer to being very good on a consistent basis in the NHL. "Frail disposition? - this guy wants to win and is competitive and fiery, which is exactly what you want in a teammate. Your bizarre hateful labels are unsubstantiated. After Reimer leaves, lets see who you witch-hunt next and try to burn at the stake for not single-handedly winning a Cup for this ridiculous franchise.

this.

I love the goalie experts in this thread.

Half the people in this thread wouldn't know a difficult save from an easy one if their life depended on it.

I've seen most of them in here, state that a low shot to the opposite side you are moving to, is "an easy save", or that a poorly handled screen where the goaltender can't see the originating shot - is "an easy save that any goaltender should have".

99% of them have no clue what it means to go from playing consistently to not playing at all - and how hard that is to maintain your ability to track the puck - not to mention, what lack of trust with your defense means to a goaltender.

I hear laughing explanations about a goaltender's mental state of mind - when half of them don't even have the mental capacity to make a judgement call on their own mental state of mind versus anyone else's.

And then you read comments that CLEARLY indicates the person was in the dressing room or there's no way they'd know - oh wait..

But we'll see - after toronto wears down their next victim in bernier we'll see in a few years time about how he's a piece of trash just like every other goaltender that has worn the jersey the last 20+ years.

Last edited:

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach

Great post.

Every Reimer hater here believes they are a goalie expert, and none of them are. If you point out that Bernier also struggled at times this year, they explode.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Great post.

Every Reimer hater here believes they are a goalie expert, and none of them are. If you point out that Bernier also struggled at times this year, they explode.

Yeah I don't get why they cannot handle the fact that Bernier struggled and that, while he has a ton of talent, he has fully proven himself yet.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Every professional is athletic but you can certainly separate the two. The height of athleticism is about controlled movement, not flexibility in a time of desperation. There's a reason why a gymnast's landing is still so important despite the acrobatics taking place in the air and not the ground. Are two gymnasts equally athletic when one constantly falls on her butt and the other lands perfectly on her feet? No. There's a reason why two baseball players can make contact with the ball but one always hits into a ground out and the other hits doubles into the outfield. Are both baseball players of equal athleticism? No.

It seems a common.theme that people think that a goalie who makes diving stops in his crease on a consistent basis is a very athletic goalie. That's not how it works.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Great post.

Bernier struggled. there are times where Bernier faltered a lot of times. his weird-o (even if you did it 99x over - it still doesn't result in a goal, goal). Or that after the Olympic break he was struggling just like everyone else.

that has no baring at all - on how Reimer performed. Which was, after Christmas - horrendous. (actually a lie - December 17th). My feelings on Reimer's crap performance is separate Bernier's. Why. Well once again I'll tell you

Both goaltenders called out the team. Bernier called out the team several times. On the radio and in scrums. Bernier however never called out the team, and then proceeded to play like poo. Reimer called out the team - and since then he played like poo.

Team Collapsed three years ago: who was in net? that would be Reimer.
Team collapsed in Boston with ten minutes to go, who was in net? that would be Reimer again
Team lost 5 in a row - who was in net? thhhat would be Reimer again. (Bernier getting charged with the 3 in a row to = eight, lest people go BUT BERNIER).

if in three years Bernier's play results me looking at what he says/how he acts/how he plays and making a judgement and it's negative than fine. If I'm a hater because a goaltender in the national hockey league who calls himself a starter can't win a freaking start in 12 games then turns around and goes "he thought he played good" & "i think i played some of my best hockey." and the team just crashed and burned around him and that pisses me off - then fine. I will gladly turn in my hater card to be punched in.

As of once again - there are a lot of people who do not like Reimer - before Bernier came to town. things like this irritate me. You state and opinion and it's "well ____ Haters or _____ GMs or ______ Experts. it's an opinion. If we were all qualified, we'd all be working in the NHL.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Great post.

Are you insinuating that Reimer lovers are Goalie experts?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Every professional is athletic but you can certainly separate the two. The height of athleticism is about controlled movement, not flexibility in a time of desperation. There's a reason why a gymnast's landing is still so important despite the acrobatics taking place in the air and not the ground. Are two gymnasts equally athletic when one constantly falls on her butt and the other lands perfectly on her feet? No. There's a reason why two baseball players can make contact with the ball but one always hits into a ground out and the other hits doubles into the outfield. Are both baseball players of equal athleticism? No.

It seems a common.theme that people think that a goalie who makes diving stops in his crease on a consistent basis is a very athletic goalie. That's not how it works.

I've heard several goaltenders say - the more "spectacular" the move looks in the net - is the more out of position and 'beat' they were, and it was just luck and the ONLY goal tender that actually made it work for them (ie: athleticism) was Hasek.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

It is ridiculous how fast Reimer went from hero to zero around here.

The amount of blame he gets for the horrendous game 7 collapse as well as last season when the wheels fell off is crazy.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Just for reference, I wasn't talking about you in the group of Reimer haters. I find your posts to be quality.

If I'm a hater because a goaltender in the national hockey league who calls himself a starter can't win a freaking start in 12 games then turns around and goes "he thought he played good" & "i think i played some of my best hockey." and the team just crashed and burned around him and that pisses me off - then fine. I will gladly turn in my hater card to be punched in.

In fairness, the entire team was terrible during that stretch. Including Bernier, but like you said, there was a "but" with him.

My point is more that Reimer isn't as bad as everyone paints him out to be on this thread and it's annoying how often people dump on him as if he's the only bad guy.

It was a bad season for most Leafs.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
I've heard several goaltenders say - the more "spectacular" the move looks in the net - is the more out of position and 'beat' they were, and it was just luck and the ONLY goal tender that actually made it work for them (ie: athleticism) was Hasek.

it depends. you can't anticipate everything flawlessly. your defense makes an error, your forward gives up the puck, a puck bounces of a shin pad, right to an open forward, lots of scenarios where the goaltender is forced to make a desperation save.

Many goaltenders have desperation highlight real saves - some of the best goaltenders that have ever played the game have done it - often.

Also for the goaltender to anticipate there must be a high degree of trust and communication between the defense and the goaltender.

a good example is a 2 on 1. if the defenseman let's the pass go across cleanly and it's a one timer, about the only way that puck isn't going to go in is with a desperation save, act of god, or the forward missing the shot, or shooting it at the goaltender, etc. You as the goaltender must play the shooter. Where things to go hell is when you feel your defense is stupid and you 'half anticipate' or start to dig in and get ready to push off for the anticipated pass across; or go for the fake pass, knowing your defense probably wont' stop the pass anyways. A quick shot can freeze you, or it goes to the short side where you've already started to shift your weight to and makes you look stupid. Then of course people in internet forums go weak goal - anyone could have had that.

Goaltending is not played in a vacuum as some like to indicate it is.

Last edited:

CalgaryLeaf*

I shed a tear reading all these nasty comments.

Seems none of you appreciate the Reimer from 2 years ago. Yeah he had a bad year last year, but still put up respectable numbers.

I agree asking for a trade then filing for arbitration is shady, but he'll still serve as a better back-up than guys like Brodeur or one of the marlies.

He'll get traded in November when some of the goalies around the league get injured...Nonis will get a 3rd rounder for him.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
That's what should have happened last year.

Oh what a year can do to asset value

CalgaryLeaf*

That's what should have happened last year.

Oh what a year can do to asset value

Or...let's see... Bernier could get injured in November and is lost for the rest of the year...In goes Reimer,he plays great and finishes out the season in the playoffs...Nonis trades him next offseason for a 2nd rounder.:handclap:

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Reimer > Bernier. Everyone will be disappointed about Bernier at the end of this season. Quote me on this.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Just for reference, I wasn't talking about you in the group of Reimer haters. I find your posts to be quality.

In fairness, the entire team was terrible during that stretch. Including Bernier, but like you said, there was a "but" with him.

My point is more that Reimer isn't as bad as everyone paints him out to be on this thread and it's annoying how often people dump on him as if he's the only bad guy.

It was a bad season for most Leafs.

thanks :) (and ignore me in summer time. heat makes me cranky :laugh:)

It's just that there's something that bugs me regarding Reimer. You can shake the first time because you have some arguments that makes sense. But - for me it's not even the whole fact the entire team crumbled - and I do acknowledge that it's not fair - and maybe i'm harsh. But if I were a pitcher - even if my team couldn't defend to save my life, or throw balls for easy outs - i know that it is critical for me to find some control and throw strikes - not to lob easy hittable changeups for the batter to crush out of the park.

Reimer was the goalie - and regardless if Dion couldn't shove Chara out of the way and players positions were out of whack, and the entire team is freaking out - that's when as a #1 goaltender you have to go above and beyond and grab the puck. Just. one. even if it means, it's faceoff after faceoff in their own zone until the buzzer went off. And if that was Bernier, Belfour, Joseph, Potvin, Palmeteer whomever - i would think of them a little less because of that. (and trust me - i think of a lot of other people on the team a little less too - and that's why when people are like omg we got rid of Gunnarson and everyone - to me - anyone name ont hat list of eleven players who had been part of 18 Wheeleer-Boston Crash-Meltdown is A-Ok to be gone and/or traded).

Bernier does get a reprieve from me - mostly because A: this was his first season as a starter -B: moving from a system that allowed 25 or less shots a night to facing 35 or MORE shots a night and C: injuries. so while he was tailing off. now next year considering that he's healthy and the shots are down - i'll be more critical. if the team melts down again and Bernier isn't playing well - then we're going to have to see.

Reimer doesn't because this was sort of his third strike pretty much. And it goes back to a lot of things which i've stated throughout this thread. if he comes back and plays the best hockey on earth then yay for him and I wish him success in the world - i still don't think it's healthy to have people who don't want to be here in your locker room so i'd still move him out right away

(which is something Nonis is also going to have to consider. you've got a fragile group and trying to turn the tide, and you've got a guy who doesn't want to be part of it. boot him).

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
I think it's in Reimers best interest to stay. He was so bad last year that anyplace the leafs can trade him to will probably be a worse situation. Stay, play your heart out, and increase your value. Then get your trade.

CalgaryLeaf*

In an ideal world you trade the disgruntled Reimer now but coming off a poor season his value in the market is around a 5th-6th rounder at best...Better to keep him for a few months and get better value...He's not a bad dude and won't sulk around his teammates...If it was a person with a more aggressive personality I'd probably unload him immediately.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
I'm going to add the same comment I added to the Frattin thread , If Bernier is soooo good why did LA send him to us , everyone calls that trade a stroke of genius by Leafs management , not a term we normally apply to that group . Do you folks really think Nonuts outsmarted a management group that has built a 2 cups in 3 years powerhouse ? He's not the second coming folks , he's a goalie who when we were a good team before Christmas could not win a shoot out while Reimer won pretty much every shootout he was in , sucking the confidence out of Reimer while forcing him to change his style of play is just one more example of incompetent coaching , Carlyle will be gone when we start losing again this year and there will be a new personality who may actually be liked and respected by his players not just his pets.
PS to Daisy , this is going to be a binding ruling just you watch , it will be under the number the Leafs can walk from and more than what they can move him for so he will have stymied them on this one , watch him get 3.75 for 4+ years from the Judge .

Are you well?

He requested a trade. They also have one of the better goalies in the league blocking him.

Roy was traded..hasek was traded..belfour was traded. Some of the best in history have been moved.

Damn all that to defend reimer

marquee

Apr 7, 2011

Reimer cant compare to those guys when it comes to athleticism.

Lateral movement or flexibility it isnt even close.

You reimer stans need to enter a psychiatric ward. This is just sad at this point. There is no way you can make an argument for reimer at this point.

Even at his best there was ways questions.

No point going back and forth with the sick. Go get help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad