Reimer predicitions

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Reimer > Bernier. Everyone will be disappointed about Bernier at the end of this season. Quote me on this.

I'll quote you now. Reimer lacks many things such as this:

hnV2Kqk.gif

They are not even in the same league.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
As an RFA, Reimer doesn't have all that much leverage right now and that arbitration hearing is going to be a really nasty affair between both player and team.

It's probably worth noting two things:

1 - There aren't exactly teams looking for goaltenders right now; if you have a look, most teams have their starter and backup already in place. There's no market for goaltenders - where would Reimer go? There isn't a fit anywhere right now.

2 - Bernier is still very much an unknown. As great as he was last year, he played well above his average with regards to his sv%, broke down at the end of the year, and has a very small sample size of experience as a starting netminder. If he struggles next year, (which I predict he will - no way he posts the same .922 SV%), you are going to have to rely on a backup goaltender. For the first half of the season, Reimer gave this team fantastic goaltending.

So, there's nowhere for Reimer to go and you don't know what you are getting out of Bernier. I think Reimer stays.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Can the Leafs opt out of arbitration and let him go as a UFA? As per CBA clauses 12.10(a) and 12.10(b), a team could only walk away if the award is $3.5 million last summer. This summer it'll be $3.5 million * 69 / 64 = $3,773,437 due to clause 12.10(d)

The dollar amount of $3,500,000 set forth in each of paragraphs (a) and (b) above shall be increased on an annual basis at the same percentage rate of annual increase as the Average League Salary, with the first such increase occurring based upon a comparison of the 2014/15 Average League Salary to the 2013/14 Average League Salary.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I've heard several goaltenders say - the more "spectacular" the move looks in the net - is the more out of position and 'beat' they were, and it was just luck and the ONLY goal tender that actually made it work for them (ie: athleticism) was Hasek.

Every goalie has to make those desperation saves but it's to the point of annoying when peole judge athleticism strictly by a goalie showing the flexibility to making a diving save. No, athleticism encompasses a skill set beyond just flexibility. Every goalie is flexible but they are not equally athletic. This notion that a guy that plays like Reimer or Gus is of equal athleticism as a guy who plays like Price or Lundqvist - that is a myth that needs to die a quick death.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
As an RFA, Reimer doesn't have all that much leverage right now and that arbitration hearing is going to be a really nasty affair between both player and team.

It's probably worth noting two things:

1 - There aren't exactly teams looking for goaltenders right now; if you have a look, most teams have their starter and backup already in place. There's no market for goaltenders - where would Reimer go? There isn't a fit anywhere right now.

2 - Bernier is still very much an unknown. As great as he was last year, he played well above his average with regards to his sv%, broke down at the end of the year, and has a very small sample size of experience as a starting netminder. If he struggles next year, (which I predict he will - no way he posts the same .922 SV%), you are going to have to rely on a backup goaltender. For the first half of the season, Reimer gave this team fantastic goaltending.

So, there's nowhere for Reimer to go and you don't know what you are getting out of Bernier. I think Reimer stays.

Career averages?

He was. A backup with inconsistent minutes. There is no regressing to the mean in this situation.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
I've heard several goaltenders say - the more "spectacular" the move looks in the net - is the more out of position and 'beat' they were, and it was just luck and the ONLY goal tender that actually made it work for them (ie: athleticism) was Hasek.

Very true.

Disagree with hasek thi he was just unconventional with his second save efforts. All those "flops" were techniques.

Tyler Biggs*

I hope the Reimer situation does not turn into a distraction on the Leafs.

There is blame to go around as Carlyle IMO did more than just say "he was just OK"

I think even though they started Reimer to start the season and even though Reimer played very well at the beginning of the season- I thought they anointed Bernier #1 too early in the season (even if Bernier marginally out played Reimer)

But on the other side Reimer has acted like "a bit of a woose" as anywhere he goes he will have to fight for the #1 spot. And NHL players shouldn't be able to have it both ways -Reimer is a restricted free agent and will sign a contract with the Leafs. If he is under contract he is doing nothing to add to his value if he causes turmoil in the dressing room.

And the Leafs are better off keeping Reimer instead of bringing Martin Brodeur to the Leafs.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Can the Leafs opt out of arbitration and let him go as a UFA? As per CBA clauses 12.10(a) and 12.10(b), a team could only walk away if the award is $3.5 million last summer. This summer it'll be $3.5 million * 69 / 64 = $3,773,437 due to clause 12.10(d)

no the leafs can't opt out unless they come to terms with Reimer.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Reimer has had every opportunity to prove he deserves the starter's job here. And he's blown it. So qualify him, give him his modest raise on a one year deal, and keep trying to move him, as he's requested. But if we can't get half-decent value for him.......he's the Backup here.

If he REALLY wants to be traded, he'll step up and prove that he's WORTH something to some team out there.
YES !

that's my ****en problem with hfboards and just leaf fans in general

GREAT YEAR... next year horrible year
omg trade blah balh blah blah blah like little whiny *****

ill never forget the 10-11 season because unlike most people here
i actually have watched 99% of all Leaf games and remember the feels

Reims will bounce back
dont take my predictions seriously tho cause last year was sad face
I don't think he will.
He'll have to change his entire style of goaltending.

If other teams thought he was a viable option, he would have been traded.
yep !

If James wants a future in the NHL, he should be asking Leafs management for another stab at the backup role, sign a one year deal, and play his butt off.
He is such a sad sack I don't think it's in him.

Or...let's see... Bernier could get injured in November and is lost for the rest of the year...
= Tank for McDavid

In goes Reimer,he plays great and finishes out the season in the playoffs...Nonis trades him next offseason for a 2nd rounder.:handclap:
Impossible. He's not an NHL calibre goalie.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
YESSSSSS !
Exactly what this TML forum needs
xyzqQCd.jpg

NOT​

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Reimer will be gone before the season starts.

The team doesn't need the distraction of an unhappy goalie to start the season.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Another nominee for the most asinine statement of the year.

hes not a starter, hes a mediocre backup at best. his attitude doesnt help his play either....no one wants a man-child on their team whining about playing time

mikebel111*

hes not a starter, hes a mediocre backup at best. his attitude doesnt help his play either....no one wants a man-child on their team whining about playing time

Lol at mediocre back up. Oh well guess people want goalies with .940 save percentages. Over exaggeration much on this statement?
There is nothing wrong with his attitude. Before this year, he never complained and this year once.
So stop saying man child, wow what over reactions here

I think Bernier is the better goalie but saying Reimer is not good is wrong!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

You mean like Bernier? Because Bernier whined for 2 years before he was finally traded.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
Not that I am a Reimer fan, but I could see if Bernier for some reason sucks this season fans turning on him (as they do with anyone who has a poor season).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not that I am a Reimer fan, but I could see if Bernier for some reason sucks this season fans turning on him (as they do with anyone who has a poor season).

His save percentage will likely regress next season, especially if the leafs continue to allow 35-45 shots per game.

It'll be interesting to see how he's treated on here, if that happens.

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario

Berny doesn't seem to give a flying **** about what the fans think, much like kessel. He's got confidence in himself. That kind of swagger and the ability to be un-phased is really rare to see in such large market teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad