Post-Game Talk: Reimer gets his vengeance, Canes win 6-3 in his return to Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
S C O T T L U C E
C
O
T
T
L
U
C
E

I'm not a huge Luce fan or anything but that stat is a little misleading. We drafted other NHL players, they are just no longer with us. And given how long ago those drafts were it's not too surprising that there are only three players left with us.

The teams around us in 2010 (BOS, EDM, and CBJ) only have 1, 3, and 4 players on the roster that were drafted in that period unless I'm missing someone.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Go read the Canes board about Reimer and how dumb we were to trade him lmao. Gonna be fun to watch when the honeymoon is over. The terms underrated and we were desperate were used :laugh:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Disagree. Bob is capable of being the X factor. The defense just hasn’t supported him one bit. Prime hasek wouldn’t have saved those point blank chances last night. He was phenomenal in the second game against Tampa as well. That was a 7-4 game without him.
Whether it's him or the defense, my assertion still stands: he's not the solution we were hoping for.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Go read the Canes board about Reimer and how dumb we were to trade him lmao. Gonna be fun to watch when the honeymoon is over. The terms underrated and we were desperate were used :laugh:
Yeah, they're still overlooking the fact he gave up three goals and their offense won the game. If the forwards start to struggle, his GAA number is going to look really uncomfortable for those same people.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
But if you believe Q fixes the D or improves it, then you have to give him time. There isn’t enough time yet to coach up the guys
Well, like I said, I'm not close to panicking yet. But I was kinda hoping shoring up the net would cause a quicker turnaround, I confess :D

Reactions: klabob

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Carolina has a blue line that can bail out Reimer here and there. Here, he would be left to dry once again.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
I need these opening season expectations to go away already. My mind is putting too much emphasis on these first few games. I see teams like Carolina and Buffalo streaking like they are and I get sad because I wanna have the young surging team =(

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Whether it's him or the defense, my assertion still stands: he's not the solution we were hoping for.
Some folks just never learn, even the smart ones.

If the defense has been on point, and the goals have all been stinkers that a "better" goalie would've saved, I wouldn't argue with about 80% of the hockey internet.

We've now officially seen pretty much every level of goaltending there is to offer in the last 2 years:
-Top 3 all time winning in NHL history vet goalie.
-Top 5 current/recent 2 time Vezina, future HOF elite goalie in his prime
-AHL all star in his first half season potential NHL starter/all star
-Very good NHL back up
-Fringe AHL starter/NHL back up

Same 3 millionaire defensemen having a hand in blowing up the stats of all the above.

For the thousandth time, I ask: what's really the variable?

Last edited:

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Did not watch a second of the game but to a man every single roster player needs to learn how to play defense. Every man needs to be responsible for a corresponding opponent on the ice at all times.

So many guys able to sit unopposed in front of our goalie which is completely unacceptable.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Yeah, they're still overlooking the fact he gave up three goals and their offense won the game. If the forwards start to struggle, his GAA number is going to look really uncomfortable for those same people.

we have a talented offense. we are going to score 2-3 goals pretty much every night just by showing up and putting on our gear.

i don't agree with your premise here at all though - the canes had success last year (and this year) by playing solid defense. defense doesn't slump. they'll be able to hang with other teams that can play defense, too. has nothing to do with the goalie's GAA. reimer could slump but that's not what you said. furthermore, the danger of a goalie slumping is mitigated when you have a solid team in front of them.

Well, like I said, I'm not close to panicking yet. But I was kinda hoping shoring up the net would cause a quicker turnaround, I confess :D

this game was a pretty clear (and poetic) demonstration of goaltending vs defense. the reimer haters ought to enjoy their tasty fedoras.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Did not watch a second of the game but to a man every single roster player needs to learn how to play defense. Every man needs to be responsible for a corresponding opponent on the ice at all times.

So many guys able to sit unopposed in front of our goalie which is completely unacceptable.

I think Stillman ends up being called up sooner than later, to be honest. He actually looked decent next to Ekblad in pre-season and I think it's a better pairing than Ek-Math.

Matheson should be with Stralman.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Anyone still angry thinking about the last game?

it'll be interesting to see how Q responds.

i mentioned that i heard boughner say he was unprepared for how bad the team's fundamentals were when he arrived. i'd guess that Q is coming to terms with the fact he has a lot of work to do with this group. they are really difficult to cheer for - entitled and consistently outworked.

is one bag skate enough? after the first period, i was thinking he's gotta send a message right now. they cannot afford to start the season 2-5 or whatever.

benching one or two of the worst offenders to make a statement about accountability would be an option. on the other hand, you don't want to overreact. he really hasn't had enough time to really change the team's game yet.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Well where does that rank amongst the other teams? In order for this to be considered bad we would have to have less picks than the other teams
Habs; 1 in 19 picks
Bruins; 1 in 20
Toronto; 1 in 22
Buffalo; 3 in 23
Ottawa; 1 in 21
Tampa; 4 in 22

Panthers; 3 in 28

I didn't bother with guys that are still in the AHL with the same organization since it's not a big impact either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad